Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,979,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I don't believe the polls. If close to 60% of Americans supported homosexual marriage then why do so many states have constitutional amendments defining marriage between a man and a woman? Amendments passed by overwhelming public support not all that long ago. Did these people have a sudden change of heart? Did they die?
Rapid changes in social society are pretty common. Most of the bans passed between 8 and 15 years ago. A lot can change in a decade.

And yes, people are capable of changing their minds even if some of the more hardcore religious conservatives refuse to.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,818,011 times
I love how wanting the same rights as everyone else is "pushing the gay agenda down my throat."

I guess MLK in the 60s was just shoving the black agenda down everyones throats, right?

The only reason equality has to be promoted is because of ignorant ****s who use their religion as a smokescreen for being a bigot. All gays want is the ability to marry the person they love, you act as though theyre demanding their own currency. Grow up.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:46 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,021,308 times
Now I remember why I never discuss gay marriage. And to be honest, it was not any fun at all. Hope you all get what you are looking for, really I do.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,165,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
"Lets not worry about freeing the slaves right now, we have Reconstruction to deal with."

"Lets not worry about Nazi Germany, we have Japan to worry about."

"Lets not worry about child labor or womens rights, we have a Depression to worry about."

The only reason it IS a big deal is because religous zealots are fighting tooth and nail agaonst equality. In a rational world, Congress would pass a law the majority of Americans want, and the president would sign it. It should take 30 minutes, but it has to be a huge issue for whatever reason, just like desegregation and integration fought years of pointless resistance.
It is too bad so many religious groups are still in favor of discriminating against gays. They do not realize that the damage now is to themselves. There really is a migration in many parts of the U.S. to the less Fundamentalist churches that emphasize the importance of ALL of us and not a few self righteous (but far from perfect) people that like to play God. They have far less influence than they did in the 80's and 90's, but enough to help Bush barely get elected in 2000. Some passed away and no adequate replacement stepped forward and then others (Swaggart, Baker) were caught in wrongdoing and hypocrisy.

This discriminatory policy they support also takes attention away from some of the more honorable charitable things they do like feeding the hungry, etc.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,165,329 times
Quote:
I love how wanting the same rights as everyone else is "pushing the gay agenda down my throat."

I guess MLK in the 60s was just shoving the black agenda down everyones throats, right?

The only reason equality has to be promoted is because of ignorant ****s who use their religion as a smokescreen for being a bigot. All gays want is the ability to marry the person they love, you act as though theyre demanding their own currency. Grow up.
Exactly !

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,270,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
My guess is that they'll overturn DOMA by a slim majority. Robert's is looking for his legacy and he doesn't appear to want to be regarded as "that guy" when the history books are written on this.

I'm not so sure about Prop 8. The State of California isn't defending it, and those who are have not been able to argue a why other than religion, but I don't see the SCOTUS striking it down.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the courts striking down both. It's likely to see DOMA thrown out and states having to work their way through the issue. Look for future filings and pro-gay marriage decisions should this happen.
I agree, that at least article 3 of DOMA will be struck down. However this could create confusion. For example if a gay couple marries in a state where it is legal and becomes recognized by the FEDS, what would happen if that couple eventually moves to a state where their marriage is not recognized or banned? My guess is that issue could come into play in the courts decision.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,886,015 times
Quote:
Is there anyone against equal marriage whose reasoning does not stem from religious ideology?
Answer: No.

There is no intelligent, sane, scientific, rational, reasonable, or constitutional argument to deny a loving gay or lesbian couple the civil right to get a civil marriage.

The bottom line: it goes against their religious beliefs.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,905,698 times
I think the court will squash this issue once and for all, making it legal nation wide.. to do anything otherwise will just prolong the issue.. you can't have people married in one state, then take that right and status away from them when they move to another.. so DOMA will be gone.. and as for california.. yes it is a referendum of the people, but in accordance with common law rulings.. it is determined that marriage is a right to all citizens..and therefore putting the marriages of ONE group of people up for a vote is unconstitutional in nature and it will be struck down as well...I mean it's the same as saying.. lets vote on whether mormons can be married.. afterall their religion is strange, there's allegations of child abuse by some of them..so they shouldn't be able to marry another mormon.. there needs to be a balancing force in marriage for the sake of the kids.. and that's someone who isn't mormon..point is.. put any "group of people" in place of gays.. and you see how really absurd the whole thing is and how hateful this way of thinking is

Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,818,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Answer: No.

There is no intelligent, sane, scientific, rational, reasonable, or constitutional argument to deny a loving gay or lesbian couple the civil right to get a civil marriage.

The bottom line: it goes against their religious beliefs.
Its not even infuriating to me anymore, its just sad.

The vast majority of people have a device in their pocket that accesses all the knowledge of the world in seconds, yet some would rather remain willfully ignorant and live their life based on a 2,000 year old fairytale.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:16 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,935,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Without God's authority there is no right or wrong.
You religious nuts really scare me. What you just said is that you would have no problem with killing, rape, molestation, stealing, cheating and lying if it weren't for the bible that tells you not to.

Do you see how crazy your stance is?

Are your morals so low that you need a book to keep you in line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies