Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 03:36 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,915,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
"I dont hate my slaves, I just dont want them to have the same rights as me."

No, youre a bigot. Somehow the parallels go unnoticed by those people.
I'm not a bigot I don't hate anyone for WHO THEY ARE.. slavery was wrong..and so is denying gays equal protection under the law.. to justify it any other way makes you in the wrong.. whether you think jesus is on your side or not... you're wrong and you are participating in hurting people and families..

Old 03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 19 days ago)

27,622 posts, read 16,104,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
It's not sudden. Read Nate Silver's column today. He demonstrates that the change in opinion is measured and not accelerating.
just heard nbc state "sudden" and couple days ago abc...same ol... Not interested to delve further into this subject.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,821,649 times
get those pesky facts out of here. this thread needs more red herrings and bible verses.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,666,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
just heard nbc state "sudden" and couple days ago abc...same ol... Not interested to delve further into this subject.
Oh yes, I know the media's been saying that. Not that the media is ever wrong I think that's why Nate did this column.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,289,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLASTED View Post
This is mostly a rant post. I'm personally sick of the gay talk, sick of the gay agenda being crammed down my throat, and sick of the media and internet presenting the lie that almost everyone thinks gay marriage is wonderful and normal, and you are an uneducated backwoods bigot if you dare to oppose this.

I was listening to NPR today at lunch, and they made it sound like the only opposition to gay marriage are a few extreme sects of Christianity. This is nonsense. It would not be a controversial divided issue if this were true. Then CNN presents their story of the one backwoods Mississippi town where gays aren't welcome or whatever as if only uneducated rednecks are the ones who don't approve of the lifestyle.

I'm sick of the twisting of the Bible to make it appear that there is absolutely nothing wrong with gay marriage. The Bible couldn't be more plain on the topic. Verses like Romans 1:26-27 clearly show that God does not approve of the act, and certainly won't approve of gay marriage. I am not a bigot because I exercise my religious freedom to actually believe in the Bible.
I agree with you 100%. It's tyranny by the minority. They are attempting to change the very deffinition of marriage. If they can do that, they can change the deffinition of anything. They use false arguments to justify their position, claiming that it is a "civil right" etc. Well, they have a civil right to marry just like anyone else; just not one of the same sex. That is a perversion.

Next, they will be trying to legalize pedophilia, because "love" can't be wrong!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,727,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nature can be a source of hatred of gays. One could argue that there is no natural function of a gay relationship. It doesn't support evolution. Since it's unnatural, it's wrong. I don't think religion is the sole source of the hatred of gays.
You could argue anything you want I suppose. You could even argue in favor of the earth being 6,000 years old, but fact is fact. Even in nature there are gay animals.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,945,920 times
With the relatively recent boom in social networks over the last decade, more people are realizing that they actually know someone who is gay--even if they didn't realize it before. I think a lot of the recent acceptance comes from people slowly realizing that the world is not going to end if your co-worker, Joe marries his partner Jack. After all, they are good guys... met them at the company picnic... friended them on Facebook, etc. All of a sudden, when you KNOW SOMEONE who is gay, the evil, anti-god stance seems to look silly.

Even if the number is only 3% of the population, that means many of you have at least decent, friendly acquaintences with a few gay people.

Another win for Mark Zuckerberg.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,821,649 times
Newsflash: Christianity didnt invent marriage.

And im real sick of this "next youll be able to marry a dog" and "next theyll legalize pedophilia."

No.

1. An animal has no legal standing.
2. A person under 18 cant enter a legal contract. Not to mention statutory rape laws, and the like.

Such close minded nonsense...

Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM

353 posts, read 395,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think the court will squash this issue once and for all, making it legal nation wide.. to do anything otherwise will just prolong the issue.. you can't have people married in one state, then take that right and status away from them when they move to another.. so DOMA will be gone.. and as for california.. yes it is a referendum of the people, but in accordance with common law rulings.. it is determined that marriage is a right to all citizens..and therefore putting the marriages of ONE group of people up for a vote is unconstitutional in nature and it will be struck down as well...I mean it's the same as saying.. lets vote on whether mormons can be married.. afterall their religion is strange, there's allegations of child abuse by some of them..so they shouldn't be able to marry another mormon.. there needs to be a balancing force in marriage for the sake of the kids.. and that's someone who isn't mormon..point is.. put any "group of people" in place of gays.. and you see how really absurd the whole thing is and how hateful this way of thinking is
Obviously, you didn't listen to the Supreme Court Case this afternoon, otherwise you would be fully aware that no such thing will happen. In fact the court raised concerns about moving too quick on this issue.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,727,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I agree with you 100%. It's tyranny by the minority. They are attempting to change the very deffinition of marriage. If they can do that, they can change the deffinition of anything. They use false arguments to justify their position, claiming that it is a "civil right" etc. Well, they have a civil right to marry just like anyone else; just not one of the same sex. That is a perversion.

Next, they will be trying to legalize pedophilia, because "love" can't be wrong!
"The definition of marriage" remains the same. It's a social and economic legal contract between two people unrelated by blood, who have not been judged to be mentally ill, and are not minors. I'm not really sure what you'd prefer "the definition of marriage" to be, but I'm sure it comes straight out of your religious books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.