Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times

Advertisements

We should absolutely have the right to choose to die when we want. Being forced to live with a terminal illness or being forced to live with unbearable pain at the end of your life is cruel beyond belief. We treat dogs better than we do humans. On top of that, we spend ungodly amounts of money keeping people with no hope of recovery alive. We should come to terms with the fact that in some situations, death is better than living with pain and suffering. Christians should just keep their religious beliefs to themselves and stop blocking legislation that would allow one to choose when to die when they are sick, dying, or in uncontrollable pain. It is time we had the right to die with dignity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
People do it all the time.

It's called suicide.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
We should absolutely have the right to choose to die when we want. Being forced to live with a terminal illness or being forced to live with unbearable pain at the end of your life is cruel beyond belief. We treat dogs better than we do humans. On top of that, we spend ungodly amounts of money keeping people with no hope of recovery alive. We should come to terms with the fact that in some situations, death is better than living with pain and suffering. Christians should just keep their religious beliefs to themselves and stop blocking legislation that would allow one to choose when to die when they are sick, dying, or in uncontrollable pain. It is time we had the right to die with dignity.
Go for it.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Just sign a DNR form before you get sick.

It is also fine to refuse medical treatment.

Problem solved.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

It's called suicide.

Committing suicide is not dignity. It's a last resort for those that are ready to go but we won't let them. Families want to do everything possible to keep them alive for their own selfish reasons. It's sad that we treat our pets better.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 PM

142 posts, read 120,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

It's called suicide.
This thread is about the right to die. There is no right to suicide (mainly because the same crowd that incessantly wrings its hands about government is adamant that government prevent people from committing suicide).

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
I say let people live how they want to and let them die how and when they want to.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Just sign a DNR form before you get sick.

It is also fine to refuse medical treatment.

Problem solved.
Yeah, let's see how your quality of life would be if you had a horrendous terminal illness like Huntington's disease for which there are no cures or treatment. It's sad people with such illnesses can't make decisions about their own life with the help of physician to end it without resorting to being illegally poisoned or to shoot themselves in the head. People whine constantly about the cost of health care, yet demand we have no spending limit to keep terminally ill patients alive, spending millions of dollars to prolong their lives by a few months while they live in terrible pain. You can't simply "pull the plug" on someone that has a terminal illness that's debilitating, yet takes years of slow withering away until they die.

The moment I am diagnosed with a disease like alzheimer's, I should be able to write into living will that I'd like my doctor to put me to sleep permanently, instead of burdening my family with hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care debt to keep an empty shell alive.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:55 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Committing suicide is not dignity. It's a last resort for those that are ready to go but we won't let them. Families want to do everything possible to keep them alive for their own selfish reasons. It's sad that we treat our pets better.
Why isn't it dignity? The method by which someone decides to take their life determines if it was done with dignity, not the fact that they take their own life.

Everyone doesn't jump from a 30 story building, or blow their brains out and leave a mess behind.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post

The moment I am diagnosed with a disease like alzheimer's, I should be able to write into living will that I'd like my doctor to put me to sleep permanently, instead of burdening my family with hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care debt to keep an empty shell alive.
I thought you could already do this? Not the putting to sleep part but you can refuse treatment.

You can sign a contract that states you refuse medical care, can you not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies