Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
BTW....I didn't realize that speaking English was a requirement for winning the lottery.

I'm just glad it wasn't some welfare recipient.
Nope. Lots of immigrants win the lottery because there are lots of immigrants.

Poorer people play the lottery at a higher rate than wealthier people also.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Actually they are. I've done pretty well and certainly don't begrudge anyone from enjoying the trappings of success.

My comments were taken directly from mainstream news reports - including the holy grail of truth - msnbc.

Thanks for playing the race card game.
Lottery winnings are subject to taxation and illegal aliens do not have ssn therefore how can they report taxes?

What makes you believe or infer this guy is here illegally? Just curious.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
If there is a Satan in this world and a god of greed...I assume he likes to really irritate the hell out of us by handing over 300 million bucks to an idiot...It seems that it is always the case. I suppose this guy is going to get himself a pick up truck and then drive around scratching his head and wondering what to do?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
If there is a Satan in this world and a god of greed...I assume he likes to really irritate the hell out of us by handing over 300 million bucks to an idiot...It seems that it is always the case. I suppose this guy is going to get himself a pick up truck and then drive around scratching his head and wondering what to do?
Why are you calling this man an idiot? OMG haters will hate LOL.... He seems a hardworking guy who says he is going to help his family. Good for him!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The articles didn't indicate he was an idiot. They did say he was going to invest in property in NJ and two other countries. It also did say he was going to use the money to help those in need. He didn't say he was going to buy 100 Bentleys. He seems reasonably smart guy.

I don't feel irritated at all. People like me who were born and educated here have plenty of opportunity to make that kind of money in our lifetimes. It's about whether we choose to or not. For this guy, who probably had a poor education and stuck at low quality jobs, but still hard working, he had very little opportunity to make that kind of money.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
It didn't. As I posted ABOVE - NO WHERE.

He was heard speaking Spanish to his mother on the phone telling her of his win - NO WHERE did the article say he couldn't speak English.

But let us not let facts get in the way of posting
His daughter translated for him during the press conference.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Why are you calling this man an idiot? OMG haters will hate LOL.... He seems a hardworking guy who says he is going to help his family. Good for him!
The guy owns and operates a bodega. Not an easy job. Probably just gets by.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's a lot of Hispanic communities (along with Asian communities, European communities, etc) where you don't need to learn English to live. It's one of the things that make this melting pot of a country great and unique. It's a lot of the reason why we don't make an official language. We don't want to lose this part of our American culture.
So you think it's great living in segregated communities and not be able to communicate with the rest of society in the common language of English? Might as well just divide this nation up into seperate countries then. United we stand, divided we fall. Why do you suppose other nations have an official language? They don't have immigrants in them? English deserves its rightful place as official being a part of our culture and heritage since its founding. It is American culture. Those who would deny us that have an agenda and it isn't a savory one. I certainly wouldn't deny any other country making its identifying language official.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 PM

So much hate and pedro is now drinking a corona celebrating with friends LOL.... i wish he would adopt me ....

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Do you know for a fact that the person came here illegally? You cannot say he came here unlawfully based on one's English speaking ability.
I never said he didn't speak English because none of us know that for a fact but it certainly points in that direction from what we do know. If he does, good for him. I would hate to think that someone who came here at a young age and still didn't speak English after being here for 26 years. I hope he is here legally also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies