Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's odd when the whole Chick Fil A thing happened last year there were about 6 friends who shared pics of themselves at the restaurant.

I think what's going on is that folks are not opposing gay marriage. For example I won't comment on those friends post who support gay marriage. Who wants to get in a fight? So the media thinks or is pushing this story that their is this wide support.

When there really isn't. I also I suspect support will drop when Obama leaves office. He is personally responsible for a 20pt shift in the black community which I suspect is not permanent.
I've stayed out of it as well. I've tried to keep my politcal postings to a minimum since the election when I lost a few friends. My friends run the gamut from extremely left leaning to extremely conservative so I pretty much offend everyone when I post my political views.

I will admit I'm on the fence with this one. I was definitely on board with civil unions but I do think they could call it something else that bestows upon them the same rights as married couples; that would keep all the Christians happy (er) and give the GLBT community a measure of financial security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I love how we're now discounting polling and actual facts in favor of talking about who changed their picture on Facebook yesterday. Way to have a meaningful discussion

My straight white male friend with a red HRC logo clearly nullifies your straight white male friend without a red HRC logo.
It's not the straight white males I'm wondering about; it's the gay males who haven't touched it with a ten foot pole while everyone else is posting like mad about it.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,667,971 times
Why should gay rights fall under a different label simply to placate the Christian fundamentalists?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
And, other than on a personal level perhaps, you are not discriminated against. Are you not served in a restaurant, can you not buy clothes, get a job, find a place to live, go to a movie, use a restroom, or have sex with whomever you choose?

At one time is was acceptable to own slaves, kill Indians, and wear polyester leisure suits. So, the mad push for accepting immoral lifestyles will, at some point, go out of fashion as well.

Yes, by all outward appearances, you are just like everyone else.
Sorry, but it is you that is immoral with your judgement of me as immoral. I am a very moral person. I am an athiest, yet many of my christian friends say that I am a better christian than those they know. I treat all people the same, equally, even homeless people. I break no laws, even traffic laws. I am head of neighborhood watch, I watch out for my neighbors, walk their dogs, pick up packages and even when needed have driven their children to school. Just because I am gay does not make me immoral. I have been with the same man for 34 years, made a committment and kept it, can you say the same? Can many of the straight people who moan and groan about gay marriage say they have not been divorced at least once? Equality is not based on sexual orientation. Nor is morality. You do not deserve all the full federal marriage rights any more than I do just because you are straight, nor does your being straight make you a more moral person.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,149,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
we are absorbing any cost[if there is costs] of Interracial couples marrying [1967], we can absorb the cost of a fewer number of couples[gay] marrying now.

bogus arguement.
No. Not really. Our economy is still in the crapper. Our federal and state governments are running in the red. And 1967 is 46 years ago, when the US population was less, healthcare a fraction in cost, and our economy was stronger.

Gays marriages being recognized will be the tipping point that will cause spousal benefits to be adjusted downward. And actually that makes sense, since the majority of married couples are dual income earners. Way back when spousal benefits were first offered, men were the breadwinners in the marriage and the women were stay-at-home moms. So modern couples don't need the same support system as in previous generations. Just as alimony payment judgments are shrinking over time because women are such a strong presence in the workforce.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why change marriage to be same-gender? What problem does this solve?
The entirely justified desire on the part of Adam and Steve to have the same public recognition and public benefits for their marriage that any two opposite-sex married people have for theirs.

If rectifying a gross injustice is not a high priority for you, then you will not find this of value.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Sorry, but it is you that is immoral with your judgement of me as immoral. I am a very moral person. I am an athiest, yet many of my christian friends say that I am a better christian than those they know. I treat all people the same, equally, even homeless people. I break no laws, even traffic laws. I am head of neighborhood watch, I watch out for my neighbors, walk their dogs, pick up packages and even when needed have driven their children to school. Just because I am gay does not make me immoral. I have been with the same man for 34 years, made a committment and kept it, can you say the same? Can many of the straight people who moan and groan about gay marriage say they have not been divorced at least once? Equality is not based on sexual orientation. Nor is morality. You do not deserve all the full federal marriage rights any more than I do just because you are straight, nor does your being straight make you a more moral person.
You are their worst nightmare. You prove that gays and lesbians are regular people deserving full rights of American citizenship. You are not second class citizens. You are not lesser beings. You are, simply,........ Americans.

Marriage equality now. Marriage equality for a better America.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Adam can inherit Steve, even if Steve's family can't cope with the fact that Steve was gay.
Adam can visit Steve in the ICU, even if the head nurse considers their relationship wrong.
Adam and Steve can take out a mortgages as a married couple.
Adam can be covered under Steve's health insurance or vice versa.

Shall I go on?
Adam can write a will problem solved.
The ICU thing is an issue but most hospitals allow this
They can take one out as single people problem solved
My company has domestic partner coverage problem solved and besides with Obamacare spousal coverage is going the way of the dinosaur.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, it comes out of my pocket. If the Social Security system collapses under the additonal strain of same sex "spouses", I lose my only means of support.
Then it is people like you that are being selfish. My partner paid in to SS, he fought in Vietnam, why does he not deserve to pass on his ss to his spouse? He paid into the system too. Why should he and his spouse be denied the same equal treatment? Otherwise it is you and all straight couples being given special riths and special treatment and not for children, that is a load of bull oney. I know a couple that got married in their late 50's, he was a vet, both had grown children from prior marriages. They had no kids together, she went to the va facilities for her medical, he got additional spousal support for her. When he died, she got spousal support and his SS and still can go to a va hospital, they also got all the 1100 plus marriage rights, benefits etc from the federal government. They got marriedf, ha ha, in Las Vegas. Her husband spent less time in Vietnam than my spouse did, he did not get shot, did not get any purple hearts and my spouse got two. I have this to say, stop sucklng off of us gay people and rewarding us with less than equal status, because that is what you are doing. We pay taxes the same as everyone else and deserve to be treated equally by the US government regardless what all of you religious moral police think.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Why should gay rights fall under a different label simply to placate the Christian fundamentalists?
Muslims and Orthodox Jews aren't big fans of homosexuals either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies