Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,047,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There are too many similarities
And there are many profound differences:

1)A black man cannot hide that he's black. A 'gay' man can hide that he's gay.

2)Not recognizing interracial unions deprives the interracial child of a safe and secure upbringing. No such thing exists for homosexuals as all children born to a homosexual couple were really born to a heterosexual pairing (even in the case of artificial insemination, the woman could have had sex with the man instead of going to a bank for his sperm). In other words, no discrimination against children is necessary by this policy.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,689,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You like being attacked, don't you? No matter, how much sense your arguments make, you will never be able to reason with them. They want one thing, and they'll not be satisfied until it's destroyed.
They will not be satisfied until what is destroyed?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,066,356 times
As a Black man, I feel the comparison in the denial of their fundamental rights perfectly acceptable and appropriate.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,193,134 times
Default Dont compare gays not being able to marry to what blacks went through

O K then, but gays are still discriminated against because they are just gay, and no other reason. If nobody believes this statement, perhaps they should break out of their shell and see for themselves.

This is my Google search:
gay people killed for being gay

This is the result:

http://www.google.com/webhp?source=s...w=1152&bih=623

Quote:
Nope. How would a man explain only men staying overnight at another man's apartment. Why should a gay person need to hide who or what they are in the first place?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,606,755 times
Dont compare gays not being able to marry to what blacks went through

I agree. Don't do a disservice to the African-American community in this country by doing this. I am sure that there are many of them that feel upset by people making this comparison.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,430,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There is nothing wrong with polygamy. I should have the right to not only date multiple women, but marry multiple women as well.
No, you shouldn't. People in general have an inbred instinct to form relationships and studies show that married people are happier and healthier than unmarried people. If you marry 3 people, then that leaves 2 other people without marriage prospects. That is not good for society.
Quote:
Well you can hide being a homosexual. You can't hide being black. You can be fired if your employer finds out you are gay. Employers used to be able to fire you for your race. I think it is a basic civil rights issue, so in that sense it is the same. Black Americans still had it worse.
While it is illegal, ethically there's nothing wrong with an employer firing you because of your race. Using your same argument for polygamy, there is no reason an employer should not have the right to hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason they want. It's their business.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,337,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Utter fail in logic and critical thinking skills on your part.

And people don't want the state to recognize property rights to get tax breaks. It costs more in taxes to buy a house than it does to not.

Same can't be said for marriage. Lefties want gay marriage recognized by the state so they can get tax loopholes. After campaigning on closing tax loopholes. Liberal logic.

Instead of being honest and admitting it's about cheating the system, just phrase it as a "civil rights" issue and then anyone that disagrees is a "bigot." lols. Typical of the left.
Terrible right-wing argument against Gay Marriage #137348: Lefties want tax breaks, that's why they're in favor of gay marriage.

Because only fairy tale worshipping right-wingers should enjoy those privileges, huh? Give me a break.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,396,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
Too bad you're going to lose. Gays are on the road to equality.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,104,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
And there are many profound differences:

2)Not recognizing interracial unions deprives the interracial child of a safe and secure upbringing. No such thing exists for homosexuals as all children born to a homosexual couple were really born to a heterosexual pairing (even in the case of artificial insemination, the woman could have had sex with the man instead of going to a bank for his sperm). In other words, no discrimination against children is necessary by this policy.
1. Why should a 'gay' man have to hide that he's gay? It isn't against the law to be gay. I like anime, video games, comics books, and constructing elaborate costumes based upon characters within them. Why should I have to hide that?

2. With that logic, then considering that homosexuals are raising children together, not recognizing their union deprives that child of a safe and secure upbringing. You also fail to address the concept of adoption where the heterosexual birth parents are signing away their parental rights. Homosexuals are adopting these kids.

Quote:
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.
The degree to which a person is discriminated against should not be a factor in removing the cause of the discrimination.

Quote:
Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.
If a man can sign a contract and a woman cannot, that is gender discrimination.

If a man can sign a marriage contract with a woman, why is it that a woman cannot sign a marriage contract with a woman?

Quote:
This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
When, in fact, the stupid rhetoric is when people claim that there are no correlations between black civil rights, women civil rights, etc. An apple and an orange are two separate things, but we can compare them because they're both fruits.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,643,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
As a Black man, I feel the comparison in the denial of their fundamental rights perfectly acceptable and appropriate.
This ought to end the thread immediately. It won't, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies