Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that everyone is whining about their rights being violated in some way. I've heard moms complain that it's a right to get paid maternity leave. No, it's not. This is the kind of slippery slope stuff I'm referring to. Everything is not a right, or a civil right, just b/c you (the general "you") want it to be.
Legally, they are entitled to FMLA and most companies pay the first 6 weeks. I don't see how it is really an issue unless fathers were getting paid for time off and mothers weren't.

Quote:
Doesn't make it right. If people would stop having kids before they should, this would not be a problem. It would actually solve A LOT of America's problems. But no, people think with their genitals, man, woman, gay, straight, it does not matter.
That doesn't have anything to do with gay marriage. Why should my friend not receive marital benefits simply bc she is with a woman and not a man? She has a kid, a stable relationship, a job, a small modeling career, doesn't have a felony, and is wanting to buy a house.

Quote:
I have a bridge to sell you, in that case.
I'm going to privatize it and turn it into a toll bridge.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
Dont tell people what they can compare and what they cant.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Well I'll weigh in on this issue.

Blacks were victimized by slavery. No one can get beyond that. But post Civil War similarities between blacks and gays is pretty clear and hard to deny. Today more than blacks, gays are seen as second class citizens, and even second class humans. It goes beyond marriage. I am constantly seeing disparaging comments in discussions such things as "that's so gay". Meanwhile, slanderous racial comments have been made unacceptable in society.

I was watching the show Pardon the Interruption yesterday on ESPN and one of the subjects was the possibility that a gay NFL player might "out" himself next season, a first in major pro sports in America. Both commentators, one black, said the player would be akin to Jackie Robinson. They talked of how the player would have a very difficult time from both the public, and players in the locker room.

I think an argument could be made that individuals who think it is disgusting to compare gay social issues to historically black civil rights issues are in themselves examples that validate why gay issues and black social advances can be compared. After all, such individuals see those with same sex attraction, and their plight, as disgusting.

Last edited by GalileoSmith; 03-27-2013 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
And last time I checked, it also protects against giving special privileges to a small minority of people just b/c they want them.
Actually, it prevents the majority from receiving special privileges while dis-including a small minority. Hence the amendments to allow women the right to vote. Hence the amendment to allow blacks the right to vote. Etc, etc, etc.

However, to give credence to your statement or give it one iota of merit: Please name at least one "special privilege" that you feel would be granted should a legally married homosexual couple be given accessibility to the exact same privileges/benefits/etc of a legally married heterosexual couple.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
1. Why should a 'gay' man have to hide that he's gay? It isn't against the law to be gay. I like anime, video games, comics books, and constructing elaborate costumes based upon characters within them. Why should I have to hide that?
It relates Homosexuality to a behavior instead of an immutable trait.

Quote:
2. With that logic, then considering that homosexuals are raising children together, not recognizing their union deprives that child of a safe and secure upbringing. You also fail to address the concept of adoption where the heterosexual birth parents are signing away their parental rights. Homosexuals are adopting these kids.
The point is we want to encourage biological parents to raise their children. Homosexual unions raising children are never perfect because, at MOST, only one parent is the biological parent. In other words, we're not necessarily depriving that kid of anything, he could have been raised by his biological parents which I think would be better for him in 99% of cases.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
And last time I checked, it also protects against giving special privileges to a small minority of people just b/c they want them.
Actually, you being hetero gets you the special privilege to marry. Etending it to all makes sure you're not considered that special anymore. LOL, that will really burn you, won't it?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post

However, to give credence to your statement or give it one iota of merit: Please name at least one "special privilege" that you feel would be granted should a legally married homosexual couple be given accessibility to the exact same privileges/benefits/etc of a legally married heterosexual couple.
She can't answer that, so she won't.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Actually, at the start of the gay rights movement, the situation was worse for gays:

Gays were
1. illegal
2. mentally ill
3. immoral and sinnerrs.

Blacks were subject to Jim Crow, to be kept segregated and in their place. But they had a place in society, on the margins.

The place for gays in society was behind bars or under arrest, on the couch or in the nuthouse, or in the coffessional repenting of their sin....in other words there was no place for gays as openly gay or lesbian people in society.

The prejudice against gays is stronger and has stronger basis as the basis is religous. Its more akin to anti-semtism, as that prejudice was also based on religion, and the targets, Jews, couldn't be readily identified, like gays can not readily be identified.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Doesn't make it right. But no, people think with their genitals, man, woman, gay, straight, it does not matter.
No, this is exactly what same-sex couples with children are not doing. They are thinking that they want to share the love they have for each other with one or more children, which is exactly what most heterosexual married couples are thinking when they decide to have children.

You clearly don't like this because of your bigotry against gay people, but if anything is clear it is that same-sex couples are not just getting carried away by lust, giving their sexual impulses free rein, and having unplanned and unwanted children as the result.

I would have thought that would be obvious to anybody.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
It relates Homosexuality to a behavior instead of an immutable trait.
Does it actually matter whether an immutable trait or behaviour pattern? Last I checked, it's not illegal to be gay. So why the systemic discrimination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
The point is we want to encourage biological parents to raise their children. Homosexual unions raising children are never perfect because, at MOST, only one parent is the biological parent. In other words, we're not necessarily depriving that kid of anything, he could have been raised by his biological parents which I think would be better for him in 99% of cases.
We can encourage biological parents all day long. Adoption happens.

So what you're really saying is that a legally married homosexual couple with an adopted child is inherently "lower" than a legally married heterosexual couple with an adopted child. And what you're really saying is that a homosexual should raise a child in a heterosexual household - that homosexuals should be relegated to pretending to be heterosexual simply because you find them icky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.