Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Who is denying anyone a right? Let me say it again, ANY man can take a woman as his wife and ANY woman can take a man as her husband. So again, who is without a right? No one.
This argument could have been used 50 years ago to rationalize a ban on mix-marriages. In fact, it probably was.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:00 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.
Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.
This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
I agree with you in regard to not comparing what the Blacks went thru to what Gays have gone through. Other than that...I am so dang tired of all the HOO RAH over Gay rights. Its on the TV, its on the public radio stations, its in the papers, its EVERYWHERE all about Gays getting married. You see men kissing men on TV, women kissing women on TV..passionately!! I am NOT anti gay but am getting tired of the "in our faces" attitude the gays have in general.
I use to play softball, ladies softball with all kinds of women...gays, straight, black, white, Asian etc and not ONE of them was in our faces with their sexual preferences. As a matter of fact several of the women are still our friends to this day and we STILL don't make their sexual preference our concern.
Do I care what goes on in anyone's bedroom behind closed doors..NO, no and NOOOO!!!
Now, again.....I am female, white and my best friend of 35 years (I am 65) is black and we talk alot about black history and we talk a lot about all the old JUKE joints, all the problems in the 60's with segregation..it is a calm easy going friendship. Her husband works with my husband on outside projects, they come for dinner, we sit outside and enjoy the nice weather.
Don't know about you but I truly feel there are more important issues at hand that need our attention a lot more than sexual preference or color of skin!!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Don't be obtuse. You know as well as I do they're fighting to marry the consenting adult of their choice - male or female. Again, the consenting adult OF THEIR CHOICE. When I as a heterosexual woman can marry the consenting adult I love, and my homosexual friends cannot, we are not equal. Period.
You're right, its not equal because its not the same thing. Perversion due to a miswire in your brain should not result in the forcing of a change of a definition that has been what it is forever.

But as simply human biengs, men and women, they are not without rights others have.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
That was wrong. Using race to prevent what other men and women could do is wrong.

However, again, ANY man has a right in this country to marry a woman. And vice versa. The gay marriage issue alone does not even remotely compare to the REAL civil rights movement and what blacks went through.

Gays could've made this issue easier on themselves if they would've went for civil unions, giving them the same rights as a married couple, but accepting the fact that their relationships are indeed different.

The reason gays want marriage is because they want to feel better and want to think their union is equal to a man and woman. It is not and never will be. They want to force every one else to view it as such as well. Society would never have existed if it were just men or just women at the beginning of it all. Sorry if that fact makes you view science, God, and laws of natures as bigots.
Using race (something you have no control over) to prevent what other men and women do is wrong, but using sexual orientation (something you have no control over) to prevent what other men and women do is ok?

I'm not sure too many people care about marriage as much as the benefits. Get rid of the marital benefits and it will be less of an issue. As it stands there are many benefits that you cannot get without marriage and it is primarily the fed gov that grants these benefits. Gays are already raising families and living together for long periods of time so why can't the fed gov grant them the same benefits?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This argument could have been used 50 years ago to rationalize a ban on mix-marriages. In fact, it probably was.
Wrong. In that time, a man couldn't take any woman as his wife and vice versa. The rights were indeed not equal. I as a white man could have a white wife but not a black wife. Myself and a woman of color can create life, are a man and a woman, are what marriage is no matter the color

Old 03-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Using race (something you have no control over) to prevent what other men and women do is wrong, but using sexual orientation (something you have no control over) to prevent what other men and women do is ok?

I'm not sure too many people care about marriage as much as the benefits. Get rid of the marital benefits and it will be less of an issue. As it stands there are many benefits that you cannot get without marriage and it is primarily the fed gov that grants these benefits. Gays are already raising families and living together for long periods of time so why can't the fed gov grant them the same benefits?
I see nothing wrong with giving gay unions the same benefits. But I reject the notion that a gay union is or will ever be equal in another sense as a man and a woman. If the first two beings on earth were homosexuals, we wouldn't be here right now

Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default 1,138 Benefits of Marital Status (Marriage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04353r.pdf
Consequently, as of December 31, 2003, our research identified a total of 1,138 federal statutory provisions classified to the United States Code in which marital status is a factor in determining or receiving benefits, rights, and privileges.

You're absolutely correct about the benefits.
I've just linked to the GAO report.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

Gays have been fired, prosecuted, jailed, tortured, and killed just for who they are.

What quantum of suffering and injustice is great enough to penetrate your consciousness?

Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Why do I get the impression that people who argue "the gays never had it as bad as the blacks" never had much problem with what was done to black people in the guise of preserving tradition?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:

Tell that to all those who've been beaten or killed for being gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies