Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM
 
11,768 posts, read 10,205,041 times
Reputation: 3444

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So you are for discriminating against heterosexuals that for one reason or another do not get married.

Excellent.

I wish people would just go ahead and admit this is about getting special privilages for one group of people and taking advantage of the system. if it wasn't people would be asking for the same benefits for everyone. Regardless of marital status. If it were really about equality.

Government should get out of marriage altogether. Then all these problems disappear overnight. The left wants the government more involved. Which is just going to cause more problems. Already has.
I am not for discriminating against anyone. A single hetero man is treated the same as a single gay man, but one has a choice in marriage and the other does not. If congress removed all the marital benefits I would be extremely happy, but if benefits are going to be granted then they need to be granted equally.

 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,038 posts, read 2,502,938 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No. Strawman so big the scarecrow is jealous.

What I said is correct. It's a strawman to say gays are denied the right to marry, because they aint. Even in Ohio where it is "illegal" gay couples marry each other all the time.


In some states, yes. But DOMA unconstitutionally restricts their marriages from being recognized across state lines or at the federal level. So, in effect, there's impermissible discrimination.

So the government discriminates against gays. Instead of getting the discriminating body out of the marriage business and solving the problem instantanously, the people being persecuted look toward their persecuter to fix the problem. lols. Absolutley retarded. Plus, you have to think government is capable of being moral and just. It aint.


Even Britney's 72 hour wedding in Vegas was valid in all 50 states the moment they signed the paper at the chapel of drive in love.
Yep, like I said. Look for the people that decided to discriminate to fix the discrimination. lols. If the government was out of the marriage business then Britney coulda married a woman and it woulda been recognized in other geographical areas.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,038 posts, read 2,502,938 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I am not for discriminating against anyone. A single hetero man is treated the same as a single gay man, but one has a choice in marriage and the other does not. If congress removed all the marital benefits I would be extremely happy, but if benefits are going to be granted then they need to be granted equally.
Recognizing gay marriage will not fix that. Beneifits will still be granted to certain groups while denied to others.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM
 
11,768 posts, read 10,205,041 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Recognizing gay marriage will not fix that. Beneifits will still be granted to certain groups while denied to others.
Like?
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,567 posts, read 12,755,523 times
Reputation: 9398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
What difference does it a matter which group was more hated and persecuted?


that is a ridiculous argument...not to mention juvenile.
It's not a ridiculous argument when you envision blacks back in the day working the fields - being fed next to nothing..and being hung from a tree for supposedly looking at a white woman...or have a look at some holocaust footage whGyich is utterly unimaginable. Compare this to some body who is being teased because of sexual orientation..Gays insult history and the real suffering of mankind. Gays have the privilege of enforced tolerance and full protection under the law. Why do they have to use these extreme examples and comparisons? It does the cause of gay rights a dis-service...plus traditional black males pride themselves on their masculinity and do not want to be compared to gays. It might seem unsophisticated to progressives but black are entitled to their culture.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM
 
11,768 posts, read 10,205,041 times
Reputation: 3444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's not a ridiculous argument when you envision blacks back in the day working the fields - being fed next to nothing..and being hung from a tree for supposedly looking at a white woman...or have a look at some holocaust footage whGyich is utterly unimaginable. Compare this to some body who is being teased because of sexual orientation..Gays insult history and the real suffering of mankind. Gays have the privilege of enforced tolerance and full protection under the law. Why do they have to use these extreme examples and comparisons? It does the cause of gay rights a dis-service...plus traditional black males pride themselves on their masculinity and do not want to be compared to gays. It might seem unsophisticated to progressives but black are entitled to their culture.
You can legally be fired if you are gay.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,001 posts, read 34,968,234 times
Reputation: 7875
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Recognizing gay marriage will not fix that. Beneifits will still be granted to certain groups while denied to others.
Which groups are benefits denied to?
 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
 
Location: "Chicago"
1,866 posts, read 2,833,914 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.
As a black man however, I am appalled that you appear willing to draw the line at allowing equality to blacks. Equality is for everyone. Who are you to say otherwise?
 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 AM
 
7,300 posts, read 6,696,515 times
Reputation: 2915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
It is a civil rights issue, and while you're right in that gays were and are not enslaved, and enslavement was so heinous it's even hard to talk about without getting sick, gays should have the same right of marriage straights do, and the same right of obtaining all the legal benefits of marriage. It's about love, bonding, economics.
 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
14,366 posts, read 9,729,090 times
Reputation: 6662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
You like being attacked, don't you? No matter, how much sense your arguments make, you will never be able to reason with them. They want one thing, and they'll not be satisfied until it's destroyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
As a black man however, I am appalled that you appear willing to draw the line at allowing equality to blacks. Equality is for everyone. Who are you to say otherwise?
I'm appalled that people are buying into the comparison between God given common rights and human constructed notions of inequality based on extraordinary sexual behavior. There's a huge difference between birth rights and lifestyles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
It is a civil rights issue, and while you're right in that gays were and are not enslaved, and enslavement was so heinous it's even hard to talk about without getting sick, gays should have the same right of marriage straights do, and the same right of obtaining all the legal benefits of marriage. It's about love, bonding, economics.
It's not about love or bonding, only economics.

Last edited by steven_h; 03-27-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top