Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Anyway, we should not be changing laws and even the Constitution to appease a very small percentage of the population. Then we will have people trying to change things all over the place and that is getting away from the freedoms this country was founded upon.
Last I checked, the Constitution was designed to help protect against the tyranny of the majority.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Homo and hetro sexuals are not

"Identical situations"
Homosexual family and hetero family are absolutely identical except the fed gov grants benefits to one and not another purely based on sexual orientation.

The government can either get out of individual relationships or grant the same benefits equally.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The 9th amendment. Just because a right isn't listed does not mean the right does not exist. However, the gov does not have the right to treat two groups of people in identical situations differently. A gay man and a straight man can both go into the military and can both have relationships, however, the straight man can decide to marry and get a pay raise in the process. The gay man does not have that option.

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying that everyone is whining about their rights being violated in some way. I've heard moms complain that it's a right to get paid maternity leave. No, it's not. This is the kind of slippery slope stuff I'm referring to. Everything is not a right, or a civil right, just b/c you (the general "you") want it to be.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Homosexual are already raising families though. My friend has been with her partner for 6 years and has a kid. I know of at least two hetero marriages that didn't last that long.
Doesn't make it right. If people would stop having kids before they should, this would not be a problem. It would actually solve A LOT of America's problems. But no, people think with their genitals, man, woman, gay, straight, it does not matter.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Last I checked, the Constitution was designed to help protect against the tyranny of the majority.
And last time I checked, it also protects against giving special privileges to a small minority of people just b/c they want them.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Homosexual family and hetero family are absolutely identical except the fed gov grants benefits to one and not another purely based on sexual orientation.
I have a bridge to sell you, in that case.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:30 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
Doesn't make it right. If people would stop having kids before they should, this would not be a problem. It would actually solve A LOT of America's problems. But no, people think with their genitals, man, woman, gay, straight, it does not matter.
Who are you to say what is wrong and what is right? I don't agree with everything that people do, but it's not my place to judge them. There are gay families out there that are living their lives and raising families. They aren't going to just magically disappear and we as a country have to deal with it and treat them fairly under the eyes of the law.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through.
That would be me.

Quote:
I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
Saying so doesn't make it so. You throw out many fallacious assertions. Denying someone a job or firing them for being gay is indeed a violation of civil rights.

To claim one has to have comparative suffering to be treated equally is silly. One shouldn't have suffer at all for their race, religion, national origin, sex or orientation.

The fact is that prior to 1967, when the SCOTUS invalidated Virginia's law against different races marrying, it was allowed for legislatures to deny people marrying rights based upon race. I see no substantive difference than denying people marrying rights based upon orientation.

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times
Quote:
I have a bridge to sell you, in that case.
No, that is the question. The federal government is treating a straight person and a gay person differently under the same law. Do you understand that?

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
I hear some people try to compare the gay marriage issue to what blacks went through. I just heard someone compare it to Jackie Robinson. Stop it. That's appalling. Homosexuals as men and women never suffered or are treated like blacks were. To make such a comparison is disgusting.

Civil rights are not being violated. You can do anything another normal man or woman can do.

This entire issue has been blown out of proportion with stupid rhetoric
I had no idea "bigotry" had to be comparable! Suppose you were blind during the Civil Rights era? How could you tell who was black or white or brown? You couldn't but you would know who was gay if they openly admitted their sexual oreintation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies