Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You guys really need to stop using the term "redefining," because that is inaccurate... they are merely looking to ADD a definition, not to REdefine what is already there. For example, the word "sweet" at one time only meant sugary - now it also means cool/nice, so does it no longer mean sugary?

But again I have to ask, WHO FLIPPIN' CARES??!! It's a word people, get over it!!! Sorry to yell, but I find this whole attitude just flabbergasting. Don't want to marry a gay person, then don't. Easy as that.
It is redefining. When has marriage ever been known to not be between members of the opposite gender. Please locate a society or culture before the last I don't know 50 years where such a marriage existed.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
No? You must not have ever heard of people like Matthew Shepard. Start there. Matthew Shepard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was your most non-nonsensical statement of the two especially since right now in the news, the main headline is the repeal of DOMA, which allows for the federal government to deny homosexuals the rights afforded to them in the states that granted them marriages legally.
I'm sorry where have you read DOMA has been repealed? All I've read in very liberal newspapers the belief that DOMA will be overturned. They I also said last year Obamacare would be overturned as well. We see how well that worked out.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry where have you read DOMA has been repealed? All I've read in very liberal newspapers the belief that DOMA will be overturned. They I also said last year Obamacare would be overturned as well. We see how well that worked out.
I didn't say that it has been repealed. The attempt to repeal it is the biggest thing in the news right now, though. The thesis, in case you were having trouble deciphering, was its affect on that populace.

Well, now that we're passed that...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary20852 View Post
You mentioned that you are Jewish. Surely you are not following the Torah, when you state that homosexuality is normal activity.

Actually, as a society, the notion of right vs wrong is derived from our understanding and interpretation of morality (good deeds vs evil/sin).
A lot of Jews don't even bother to follow the religion. Unless they're Orthodox, American Judaism is a story of continual redefinition. This is probably why lots of Jews support this deviancy. They've watered down their religion so they want everyone else to water down theirs.

It's kind of sad really since the Jewish religion has such a rich tradition.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times
Quote:
It is redining. When has marriage ever been known to not be between members of the opposite gender. Please locate a society or culture before the last I don't know 50 years where such a marriage existed.
So with that line of thinking, I guess we redefined marriage when we started allowing interracial marriage or how about when we decided one man one woman, because in many cultures there are one man and several women. My point...we can "redefine" marriage to what we as a society want. There are people that happen to be gay and live together raising children, so what should we call that, since to me it is the same thing as what my parents had.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
A black person is not fundamentally different in his everyday behaviors than a white person. It's just a skin color. Homosexuality is different.

That being said, sin is sin is sin and in the eyes of God, we are all equal as far as our sins being grievous. The different is made in repenting.
A gay person is not fundamentally different in his/her everyday behaviors than a straight person. We work, play, care for our children, worry over finances, volunteer in our communities, walk our dogs, have cook outs, etc. The ONLY difference is who we are attracted to.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
A lot of Jews don't even bother to follow the religion. Unless they're Orthodox, American Judaism is a story of continual redefinition. This is probably why lots of Jews support this deviancy. They've watered down their religion so they want everyone else to water down theirs.

It's kind of sad really since the Jewish religion has such a rich tradition.
We haven't "watered down," we have merely adapted to the changing times & society... if fundamental Christians could do the same (as most non-fundies already have), maybe they'd get a little farther in life and government? It's been over 2000 years since the Bible was written, and only the very simple-minded or stubborn can't recognize our needs and people have changed since then.

And if homosexuality is a "deviancy," so is half of what straight couples do. Or do you believe the SAME acts become more deviant just because of the participants' gender/s? Mkay, whatever.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-27-2013 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 PM

353 posts, read 395,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
My point...we can "redefine" marriage to what we as a society want. There are people that happen to be gay and live together raising children, so what should we call that, since to me it is the same thing as what my parents had.
Actually, only 9 liberal states and the District of Columbia voted in favor of gay marriage. Regardless of the liberal polling on this issue, society overwhelmingly is stating that we do not want gay marriage, otherwise the people in all, or even the majority of the states would be demanding it, and that is simply not the case.

Even a liberal state like CA doesn't want it, according to the votes.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
It is redefining. When has marriage ever been known to not be between members of the opposite gender. Please locate a society or culture before the last I don't know 50 years where such a marriage existed.
I see you also don't understand the linguistics here, so I'll explain again... to REdefine means to CHANGE the definition, whereas the government is only trying to ADD another definition. Unless you're privy to some information on the move to eliminate "man and woman" from the definition, you are quite simply wrong. Sorry.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM

353 posts, read 395,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And if homosexuality is a "deviancy," so is half of what straight couples do. Or do you believe the SAME acts become more deviant just because of the participants' gender/s? Mkay, whatever.
How in the world could you possibly know what half of straight couples do? Let me guess, the Washington Post and New York Times informed you via their "polling results."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies