U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM

26,200 posts, read 21,260,729 times

Advertisements

Heck, we got quite a few posters on this forum that practically brag about their SSDI payments. But seriously, who wouldn't try to get on the dole when you can make the same amount of money as many jobs by sitting on your behind? If somebody was actively giving money away, would you try to collect?

The economy is hollow these days. There's not enough decent paying jobs to support those looking for work. If you threw the workers collecting SSDI who could work into the mix, things would be considerably worse.

What's the answer? There is no answer. The country is going down the crapper and folks are just going to have to deal with that. How many people make an effort to "buy American"? How many people shop where workers are paid a modest living wage? How many people research where their money goes prior to making a purchase?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:42 PM

19,894 posts, read 17,796,284 times
Peole getting lazy or what the hek. Out the other day with hubby, we were shopping. Ok now i do not usually easesdrop on a converstation, unless something perks my attnetion, and perk it did.

I heard a heavy woman talking to another women, do not know the relation they had to each other. I heard the heavier woman say, and i quote, well illegals get this and that, lazy bums get this and that for no reason. I am trying right now to get S.S. benefits. Going to see if my Doctor, can write that i need disability. Other people can do it, bums and illegals and will not say the other word she used, so can i.

The way she was speaking she had problems with her hands but clearly not a disability. But was going to try like heck to get it. Is
this now the norm for so many people! really thought about this after i heard that conversation. Now i was wondering are their Doctors, who will claim someone needs disability if they do not. And if they are caught lying what then happens to them.

Guess some people don't believe in the concept of work anymore. I must be a damn fool, to believe in hard work.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM

8,015 posts, read 8,312,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Look you can go on about the process, and justification for it. . .but it doesn't add up

Americans with disabilitiy have more rights and protections

Americans are not ANY more disabled than they were 20 years ago

Based on the move from welfare to SSDI, the data suggest that most of the growth from "fuzzy" illness i.e. pain/mental are due to a lack of employment and not any real disability.

My vote - either signficanlty limit how long 95% can stay on the program, or kill the program.
Well you can believe that bs all you want. But if you become very ill, and by the way we all do eventually, don't make a claim.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 PM

3,318 posts, read 3,569,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Look you can go on about the process, and justification for it. . .but it doesn't add up

Americans with disabilitiy have more rights and protections

Americans are not ANY more disabled than they were 20 years ago

Based on the move from welfare to SSDI, the data suggest that most of the growth from "fuzzy" illness i.e. pain/mental are due to a lack of employment and not any real disability.

My vote - either signficanlty limit how long 95% can stay on the program, or kill the program.
An alternative to either would be to hire a handful of doctors to act as consultants to audit the findings of the other doctors who give supporting documents for large numbers of "fuzzy" disability cases. It's a relatively small number of doctors doing this, so just need to closely keep tabs on them, and take away the ability to do so in the future / reverse decisions / fine the doctor in the cases where they are found to be falsely helping people claim disability.

Make doctors liable if they surpass a certain number and proportion of clearly groundless disability claims supported and watch the "fuzzy" claims dry up overnight.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM

30,818 posts, read 17,735,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
An alternative to either would be to hire a handful of doctors to act as consultants to audit the findings of the other doctors who give supporting documents for large numbers of "fuzzy" disability cases. It's a relatively small number of doctors doing this, so just need to closely keep tabs on them, and take away the ability to do so in the future / reverse decisions / fine the doctor in the cases where they are found to be falsely helping people claim disability.

Make doctors liable if they surpass a certain number and proportion of clearly groundless disability claims supported and watch the "fuzzy" claims dry up overnight.
I think they should make it EASIER...streamline the process

its a bloody shame that it can take 3 years or more to get disability

but add the catch...if found to be fraudlent....a life time ban on the requestor, and loss of license on the doctor who ok'd it

Old 03-28-2013, 04:29 AM

6,871 posts, read 4,556,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
1961: 0% disabilities for injuries? Something's gotta be wrong with that data.
Maybe injuries are/were covered by workmans comp ????

Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 AM

6,871 posts, read 4,556,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I have a neighbor now who was a licensed health care nurse. She hit a deer on her way home from work one night and it tore off the top of her head. She is now on full disability, and also works as a restaurant dishwasher 25 hours a week for $10/hr, which she gets paid 'under the table', no taxes. Her full disability is under $800/mo. I rail against people who double dip, but I don't begrudge her. She's 58 now and I feel her years working and paying her own way entitles her to a decent living. The accident with the deer diminished her mental capacity; she'll never work as a professional anything again.

In other words, she's earned it. No, she shouldn't be double dipping, but for every rule, there are exceptions. IMO, she would be one of those exceptions. She works hard and appreciates what she has.
It is perfectly legal to work while on disability if possible, mental dis is a little different.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 AM

23,015 posts, read 24,680,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I have a neighbor now who was a licensed health care nurse. She hit a deer on her way home from work one night and it tore off the top of her head. She is now on full disability, and also works as a restaurant dishwasher 25 hours a week for $10/hr, which she gets paid 'under the table', no taxes. Her full disability is under $800/mo. I rail against people who double dip, but I don't begrudge her. She's 58 now and I feel her years working and paying her own way entitles her to a decent living. The accident with the deer diminished her mental capacity; she'll never work as a professional anything again.

In other words, she's earned it. No, she shouldn't be double dipping, but for every rule, there are exceptions. IMO, she would be one of those exceptions. She works hard and appreciates what she has.

Seems to me this proves that she is not unemployable due to disability.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 AM

17,467 posts, read 12,643,726 times
I was acquainted with people who "went crazy" as youths, were hospitalized for a few months, and then qualified for SSI, for the rest of their lives.
At the time, I did not appreciate the method to their madness.
Once they were cleared as "mostly harmless" they had a meal ticket for life.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,312,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post

Social Security already does this. They also will send a patient to a doctor retained by SS to evaluate the patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies