U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM

33,949 posts, read 21,298,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
If you want to allow disability (i'm all for just canning the program). . .it should be re-thought of as what it is. . .a Welfare/education program

Every person on it should have a action plan and timeline (and face reduce benefits) to remove them. The idea that "well he only has high school, he has back pain, disability for life" is crazy.

If you have back pain, than you get a computer and educational classes so that you can start on training to get you a sit down job.

I bet most disability is just a type of welfare with people with excuses. We need to solve the gap between ability and job, and move them off.
Well. That is just not always possible. What if you are a quadriplegic with limited mental capacity? No amount of training is going to help that.

Granted, at some point in extreme cases, SSI will transition to Medicare but there is NO 'one size fits all'. And I'm definitely in favor of tightening the reins but it's not a cut and dried kind of thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,388,696 times
Thousands of pages have been added to OSHA rules and regulations over the years, yet more people are becoming disabled. I don't want to work anymore. Oh! my aching back.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 26,150,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Thousands of pages have been added to OSHA rules and regulations over the years, yet more people are becoming disabled. I don't want to work anymore. Oh! my aching back.

How does an aching back prevent you from working in an office?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,271,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How does an aching back prevent you from working in an office?
I depends on the extent and nature of the back problem. Sitting is actually pretty hard on the back. In some cases, maybe an employer could accommodate a back problem with what is called a "standing desk" that allows a person to stand or perch on a stool and work on a high desk. It's just few employers that I know of will do anything to accommodate severe problems, even in terms of giving someone a computer set-up that has the proper ergonomics.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 25,790,072 times
One thing people might want to consider. Since about 1999 companies went on a serious profit margin hunt. They started trimming,cutting and not adding employees forcing the remaining staff to do all of their work plus the work of the missing employees.
I remember hearing over and over again "production is up" which was kind of interesting considering staffing was trending down. Even today production levels stay roughly the same but the companies have to cut to the bone to maintain acceptable profit margins. Gone were anything resembling a 40 hour week, gone was anything that didn't either make $$ right now or have a huge ROI. 12-14 + hour days were common then on the phone or computer at home for a couple hours and weekends? Not if you had any kind of project or anything left over that couldn't get done during the week.

The point I'm trying to make is humans can only take so much before they start to break down and I think that point was reached a few years ago.
I'm not saying there's not fraud, that'd be ridiculous. What I am saying is part of the rise in claims could well be related to 1 person having to do what once was the job of 6.

Just a thought.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 9,389,187 times
SSI is actually pretty hard to get. I know people with advanced HIV disease who can't get SSI. Many of the Administrative Law Judges who administer SSI are former military personnel. As a result, they are more sympathetic to the military vets. Because we have become a nation of constant warfare, we have many, many disabled vets. I think this is the primary reason for the rise in SSI claims. If conservatives don't like all of the people getting on SSI then they need to stop supporting nonsense wars.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,271,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
One thing people might want to consider. Since about 1999 companies went on a serious profit margin hunt. They started trimming,cutting and not adding employees forcing the remaining staff to do all of their work plus the work of the missing employees.
I remember hearing over and over again "production is up" which was kind of interesting considering staffing was trending down. Even today production levels stay roughly the same but the companies have to cut to the bone to maintain acceptable profit margins. Gone were anything resembling a 40 hour week, gone was anything that didn't either make $$ right now or have a huge ROI. 12-14 + hour days were common then on the phone or computer at home for a couple hours and weekends? Not if you had any kind of project or anything left over that couldn't get done during the week.

The point I'm trying to make is humans can only take so much before they start to break down and I think that point was reached a few years ago.
I'm not saying there's not fraud, that'd be ridiculous. What I am saying is part of the rise in claims could well be related to 1 person having to do what once was the job of 6.

Just a thought.
I agree. Fewer employees>>> increased productivity. Someone's working harder. And I do not attribute that to improvements in technology. People can only work so hard until their bodies simply start breaking down.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 AM

47,531 posts, read 67,148,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
SSI is actually pretty hard to get. I know people with advanced HIV disease who can't get SSI. Many of the Administrative Law Judges who administer SSI are former military personnel. As a result, they are more sympathetic to the military vets. Because we have become a nation of constant warfare, we have many, many disabled vets. I think this is the primary reason for the rise in SSI claims. If conservatives don't like all of the people getting on SSI then they need to stop supporting nonsense wars.
There are far too many people on SSI for anyone but the very gullible to believe it's difficult to get. You can't seriously believe that a much higher percent of people today are on SSI than 40 years ago because true disability rates have really risen. "ADHD", "Work anxiety" are a couple of diagnoses that can get you SSI.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM

6,871 posts, read 4,556,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Ghostrider, if you had read your own link to the npr article, you would have seen that the issue of increasing numbers of Americans on disability is a lot more nuanced than you think.
Huh? I read the article, did you?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,939,199 times
The percentage of Californians on disabilty is quite low.

I guess California didn't get the memo about getting their folks off state programs and letting the feds do the heavy lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies