Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,941,455 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a mostly low income, white, rural Southern county and from my experience can say there's nothing new about disability being the new welfare. It has been the welfare for quite a few in my hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
the most interesting part to me was the discussion of the lawyers who've jumped aboard this gravy train
That part of the story infuriated me. The lawyers are encouraging people to rip of the government while also ripping of the clients who the "help."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer
It's not state assistance that is completely broken, it is private companies themselves discriminating against sick people.

If you get sick, unless your boss is a great person, you might as well quit and look for another job when you are well again. I've seen it happen more then I like to think about, including almost having it happen to myself. I went in for urgent (not emergency) surgery in a job soon after college and told my boss I would need some time off for it. I had worked there for a bit, had some time, but my boss said in no uncertain terms that if I took more then one day off for recovery then some one else would have my job. Similar with an interview, where I was brought in because the woman I was to replace had cancer. She wasn't dying, wasn't missing a lot of work (from the interviewer) but she might possibly prove unreliable due to illness so they wanted to get rid of her and bring in some one else. Kind of backfired as I was a witness in the ADA case against them.

I've seen the same in people with cancer, broken bones, car accidents, epilepsy...even if the person doesn't miss a day of work or has anything to do with their injuries. If you get sick in this country to the point where it affects your job at all then it can be a slow death sentence.
This is true as well. Employer provided short term disability, much less long term, is a luxury reserved for management and workers with union protections theses days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,881,868 times
This has been discussed already:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ght=disability

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ght=disability

Next, as the population increases more people are eligible for disability, even if the percent on disability stays the same. Also, the workforce is getting older and that means that older workers are more likely to injure themselves performing strenuous activities. This is the number one reason not to raise the Medicare and Social Security eligibility age.

According to WebMD:
Quote:
Your odds of becoming disabled before you retire are about 1 in 3. And some of the causes of disability might surprise you. Some conditions that cause people to miss work include:

Arthritis
Back pain
Heart disease
Cancer

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This has been discussed already:
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ght=disability

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ght=disability

Next, as the population increases more people are eligible for disability, even if the percent on disability stays the same. Also, the workforce is getting older and that means that older workers are more likely to injure themselves performing strenuous activities. This is the number one reason not to raise the Medicare and Social Security eligibility age.

According to WebMD:
That is completely untrue. The ratio of disabled to non disabled SS entitled people has increased over the last few years. It absolutely has not stayed the same...

Old 03-27-2013, 09:20 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,443,480 times
eventually the breast milk of uncle sam will run dry. then will society go through a huge withdrawal. the rich will be the bad guys. it is going to get worse

Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM

33,943 posts, read 22,390,371 times
I used to do various investigative work in a very poor state. Most of the people that I visited - were on some type of disability.

I want to help those that really need it ~ but I know that the SSI system is getting scammed big time. Sometimes it's blatent; but, most often, the person believes that they are really entitled to it for their depressive episode or sore neck. Kind of like 'the only moral abortion is MY abortion'. Everyone ELSE is scamming the system but they, of course, are not.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,318,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Their gravy train will run out soon, as the funding for social security disability will not be able to meet current needs by 2016. I would bet that the vast majority recieving social security disability will magically be "cured" and be able to work when the payments are markedly reduced.

Who will hire them after years of not working?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,365,703 times
Disability has been the ''dirty little secret'' for many years

and not just SSDI, but disability from jobs too

one of the biggest kickers is...disability is NON_TAXABLE

I knew a young lady who got injured (car crash) on the job with NYPD...(loss of SOME mobility in one leg)....she gets 3/4 disability form the NYPD....(75% of the 60k top pay is about 45k)....45k to sit at home tax free (not one thing preventing her from pushing a desk)...yet a 20 year veteran of NYPD who gets his 50% retirement has to pay TAX on the retirement

its the same with SSDI.....ss is taxed...ssdi NON TAXED

Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,611,330 times
SS Disability has been out of control for years.

I once worked with a girl who said she was on full disability because of a heart transplant (yah, if you believe that, you're beyond help). She also worked full time. She was proud of it.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,151,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
eventually the breast milk of uncle sam will run dry. then will society go through a huge withdrawal. the rich will be the bad guys. it is going to get worse

Time to start building those "Soylent Green" factories.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,988,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I used to do various investigative work in a very poor state. Most of the people that I visited - were on some type of disability.

I want to help those that really need it ~ but I know that the SSI system is getting scammed big time. Sometimes it's blatent; but, most often, the person believes that they are really entitled to it for their depressive episode or sore neck. Kind of like 'the only moral abortion is MY abortion'. Everyone ELSE is scamming the system but they, of course, are not.
Bingo Ringo. I was amazed when I say the HUGE LONG LIST of ailments that can qualifiy someone for disability payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies