Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,542,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
My wife has a student in her first grade class with two mothers.

Which of her two parents, both of which this little girl loves dearly, does she not need?
Probably the one that mows the law and fixes the washing machine when it breaks down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I know gays, but none with children. I base that statement on the gays I know and the studies that confirm how prevalent child abuse is in the foster system.

As for this being a different generation, yes it is, and it's a mess. People are not held responsible for their own decisions anymore, the gov't picks up the tab, and that is the problem, too much gov't intervention. Replacing fathers with Uncle Sam, so he covers the bills, keeps single mothers in poverty. The children learn to game the system, or work the streets. Now you want to compound the problem by having gays raising children from a syrogate or anonymous donor, as proxy parents. If they take kids in foster care, there will always be more, because that does nothing to address the societal problem.

All gay marriage does is let them play house. Gays are notoriously flaky and permiscious, not the ideal role-models. You are rolling the dice with childrens lives. Children have enough challanges without the additional burden of gender confusion. Too many adults don't seem to have any idea what it means to be a man or a woman. This just blurs the lines between genders, creating more gray collectivism, where we are all supposed to be the same. Women are not the same as men, nor are men just homely women. There is no turning back once this threshold is crossed.
There will be no reason to limit this to two people of either gender, why not a commune, or 3 mothers, or 3 fathers that 'love' eachother. The problems compound. Consider the court system, trying to sort out gov't benefits, who gets what when they split. Children will simply be tools for benefits, as these sham marriages appear to be.
Sham marriages? Gays are already raising families, living together and building lives together. They just do not have the federal benefits that hetero couples have. Get rid of the federal benefits or extend the benefits to all. why should a woman married for 15 years receive more benefit than a gay couple that lives together for 40?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,293,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My uncle died when his sons were 3 and 5. My aunt raised them. She did have a few male role models for them, e.g. her brother and my dad, her deceased husband's brother. They are adults, nearing retirement age now. Neither ever joined a gang. Both have been married and raised kids.
EXACTLY! A child of the opposite sex needs a role model, preferrably the parent but if they are not available and aunt, uncle, or friend of the family will do.

Now that being said, I still would have a child with gay parents than abusive or any at all

Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM

14,944 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
If homosexual parents are incapable of "properly" raising heterosexual children, then by that logic, are heterosexual parents incapable of "properly" raising a homosexual child? inb4 if the child is homosexual, the parents failed at their job claim
Well, it's really not as simple as reversing the logic, because a gay child will ultimately be entering a heterosexual world when they reach adulthood, and heterosexual parents would certainly have much to offer in that preparation no matter the orientation of the child. However, when it comes to understanding and relating to the child, what do you think? Who do you think would be in a better position to understand the issues of a young homosexual ... another homosexual or a heterosexual? I'd say the answer is painfully obvious, and the reverse of that was my original point.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM

14,944 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sham marriages? Gays are already raising families, living together and building lives together. They just do not have the federal benefits that hetero couples have. Get rid of the federal benefits or extend the benefits to all. why should a woman married for 15 years receive more benefit than a gay couple that lives together for 40?
Because we don't encourage mental illness and abnormal behavior with tax deductible incentives.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Because we don't encourage mental illness and abnormal behavior with tax deductible incentives.
Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Which parent is dispensable of child raised by any combination of of parents? If there are two good parents, whether they be a man and woman, two women or two men, if the child loves both, the dilemma would always be the same. What is this...Sophie's Choice Jr.?
I agree. My mom lost her parents and was raised by her grandparents and aunts and a few older cousins, all women except her grandpa. They all willingly stepped up to the plate. She was sooo loved as a child, and so many were offering constantly, that actually she suspected she was MORE loved than most kids she knew. She grew up in a family of about 10 or 12 (depending on the year), one house, and only 1 of those was a man (her grandpa), and after he died, it was a house of all-women.

It drives me batsh_t CRAZY when I read the posts of these right wingers saying that a child MUST MUST MUST be raised by 1 father and 1 mother, no exceptions. Craziness, that's what it is. A child raised by people who adore her (or him) will grow up well-balanced and happy, period, end of story.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,379,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Homosexuality isn't a mental illness.
But it IS gay.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM

14,466 posts, read 11,245,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Did God make the millions of American families with a male father and a female mother who are totally dysfunctional? You know, the ones where the kids are beaten or mistreated or left to fend for themselves while Mom and Dad are stoned/drunk out of their minds?

What happens when Mom or Dad dies? Are those families not a part of "Conservative Wholesome America" because Dad got sent to Afghanistan and came home in a box? Hmm.... I assume you finger shakers have a real problem when Dad takes daughter out to buy her prom dress because Mom got creamed by a drunk driver.
When you compare gay parenthood to dysfunction, you make his case for him. Do you understand this?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
The only reason there are benefits for being married and having children, is to encourage the best social structure for raising the next generation. Gays see that as unfair, so they demand the same benefits, but by their very nature, are unable to procreate, so why should they receive the same benefits that were intended to promote procreation in a stable environment? They simply don't meet the qualifications. Come clean, this is really just about money, right? Civil unions are perfectly respectable.
I'm sick of this topic, and really don't want to discuss it anymore. I know what you're going to say before you say it. Same arguments over and over again.
Many heterosexual couples do not meet the qualifications. Many homosexual couples have children IVF, surrogacy, and adoption just like many hetero couples. There is no requirement to have children to be married.

OR

We could redefine marriage to require reproduction between the two parties involved. If no child is produced within the first year the marriage is voided. If a couple has a child that is genetically related to both of them then they can be allowed to marry. No more elderly people getting married after the death of a spouse. No more infertile people getting married. No more marriage for people who simply don't want children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies