Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Haha, of course I wouldn't rely solely on the NRA to gut UBC legislation; rather, I was just hoping to provoke left-wing spazoids into splashing this forum with hysterical tirades against the NRA and gun owners in general.

No, the only thing that can gut the UBC law are legislators, some of whom, sadly, can't necessarily be trusted not to lend political support to an innocuous-sounding piece of legislation that a majority-party (at least in one legislative chamber) may support. My Senators are two red-state Democrats who, frankly, should never be trusted to break too sharply away from their party's agenda. My Congressman, however, is a sure vote against it--hopefully the House can kill this atrocity if it passes the Senate.

Scary $#!t either way.
Ahhh, well you are in a prime spot then. Those red state dems have the power to make or break this thing. If I were you, I'd be contacting them daily, or at least weekly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Ahhh, well you are in a prime spot then. Those red state dems have the power to make or break this thing. If I were you, I'd be contacting them daily, or at least weekly.
No they don't this is all BS and illegal......Guns are not going anywhere soon....

Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
No they don't this is all BS and illegal......Guns are not going anywhere soon....

Don't lull yourself in to a false sense of security Mac.... Thats about like saying "oh, theres no way Obama is going to win again after the cluster**** of his first term, I'm not going to go vote"

Old 03-29-2013, 04:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
That's unfortunate. We have severe problems in this country with gun violence and the gun control measures should only be the tip of the iceberg. We have to change our entire culture as it pertains to our outlook on guns and violence and murder. Gun control is the bandaid while the major work gets started.

Sadly, like most things with this country, we get locked in BS arguments and turn everything into political nonsense and we don't get better as a society.
How is today's murder rate in the USA the lowest since 1992 if we have severe problems with gun violence?

That trend began before the 1994-2004 AWB and has continued in the nine years after the ban. In that time gun ownership has grown to an estimated at 310 million firearms.

More guns than ever, fewest murders in 21 years.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:08 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
It looks like as time marches on and the initial shock of Sandy Hook wears off, so to does the demand for new major Gun Control measures

MILLER: Gun polling shifts, still way off target - Washington Times
Yeah we moved on to Gay Marriage.

Apparently it is more important than the slaughter of innocent kindergartners.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
That's unfortunate. We have severe problems in this country with gun violence and the gun control measures should only be the tip of the iceberg. We have to change our entire culture as it pertains to our outlook on guns and violence and murder. Gun control is the bandaid while the major work gets started.

Sadly, like most things with this country, we get locked in BS arguments and turn everything into political nonsense and we don't get better as a society.

we dont have a serious problem with gun violence, we have a serious problem with criminals. start giving firearms to more people that are not criminals and see crime go down.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Quote:
Don't lull yourself in to a false sense of security Mac.... Thats about like saying "oh, theres no way Obama is going to win again after the cluster**** of his first term, I'm not going to go vote"
I agree--just because gun ownership has found itsef standing on very strong political footing for the last decade or so, it doesn't mean that such an environment is indefinite (the political activity observed over the last three months has illustrated very clearly that our 2A rights remain extremely vulnerable).

Do not forget the 30-or-so days that followed Newtown, when on a daily basis it was made very clear by certain factions of the media and political classes (not to mention a slew of morons here on City-Data) that firearm registration (under the guise of "universal background checks), confiscation, stringent licensing requirements, fingerprinting, ammunition limitations, psychological screening, mandatory insurance possession, mandatory buybacks, etc., are the central characteristics of the gun control camp's agenda.

These tyrants aren't going anywhere, people--suppressing them is only going to get harder (yet remains very possible).

Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I agree--just because gun ownership has found itsef standing on very strong political footing for the last decade or so, it doesn't mean that such an environment is indefinite (the political activity observed over the last three months has illustrated very clearly that our 2A rights remain extremely vulnerable).

Do not forget the 30-or-so days that followed Newtown, when on a daily basis it was made very clear by certain factions of the media and political classes (not to mention a slew of morons here on City-Data) that firearm registration (under the guise of "universal background checks), confiscation, stringent licensing requirements, fingerprinting, ammunition limitations, psychological screening, mandatory insurance possession, mandatory buybacks, etc., are the central characteristics of the gun control camp's agenda.

These tyrants aren't going anywhere, people--suppressing them is only going to get harder (yet remains very possible).

my family and I will never go along with those schemes, and some states shall not go along with them either.
I would rather be considered a criminal than give up a right. when the gun control crowd goes too far, they will find out from an armed populace what it finally means to cross that line in the sand.

then the words they will be saying is "oh ****!"

Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
The right for gun control is not over, it is actually just beginning. The was always and will always be at the state level. The federal nonsense was just a dog and pony show. The real fight is in California, New York, Calorado and the Court system. I predict SCOTUS will take another gun case next session, since the lower courts are pretty much ignoring the previous two SCOTUS rulings.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The right for gun control is not over, it is actually just beginning. The was always and will always be at the state level. The federal nonsense was just a dog and pony show. The real fight is in California, New York, Calorado and the Court system. I predict SCOTUS will take another gun case next session, since the lower courts are pretty much ignoring the previous two SCOTUS rulings.
The new case may be Maryland's (non)issuance of CCWs. A lower Court ruling directing the State to revamp its process to be less onerous and exclusive was just overturned by another Court and MD is back to "may issue".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies