Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Weakens the argument?

Where is the strength of the argument?

Why should the same job effectively pay more to a married person than an unmarried one?
What paying "job" are you talking about? I'm not talking about a paying job. I'm talking about addressing the issues of women and children in traditional marriages. Because we are the ones who give birth, there is an inherent inequality between the genders when it comes to wage earning across our lifetimes (though this is lessening due to more women staying in the work force and in time will, likely, not be needed at all). Gays would be equal whether they adopt kids or not because each has the same options with no prejudice because they are the same gender (without a gender difference you can't have a gender inequality). Therefore this issue does not exist for them. Adoption takes care of protecting the children. I'm not seeing the issue we're addressing by allowing gays to marry other than they want my blessing on their unions and I see no reason for that either. Do what you want behind closed doors just keep me out of it.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What paying "job" are you talking about? I'm not talking about a paying job. I'm talking about addressing the issues of women and children in traditional marriages.
No, you were talking about spousal benefits and when they're paid by the employer that job is effectively paying a married employee more to do the same job as an unmarried one.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
My life will go on pretty much unchanged.

I think the Republicans should just want it legalized.

The problem they have is appealing to social conservatives and economic oriented libertarians...this issue divides the party...the quicker it is settled for gay marriage, the better to stop arguing over a losing issue.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
I anticipate an ugly back lash when people realise who caused them to lose hard earned benefits that they depended on for their survival. Ugly.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheReich View Post
Laugh at the further destruction of America...I am expecting the SC to jam homosexuality down the throats of all Americans not a lot we can do. Won't make me accept their kind anymore than I do now. The government just needs to get the hell out of marriage and stop trying to dictate who can marry who.
I like "their kind" a lot more than I like bigots.

I wonder if those bigots are christians.
Usually are.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Since I don't live in the U.S. at present, I wouldn't feel compelled to do anything. But I'd feel the same way if I lived there.

The DOMA law seems to clearly be putting the Federal government into the position of defining marriage in the individual state, which I don't think is its constitutional bailiwick. I should think that constitutional conservatives would be pleased with DOMA being struck down as it would confirm their strong stand for states rights.

Obviously how the states individually will deal with marriage is likely to vary, and maybe there are/will be constitutional issues there, but that's what the Supreme Court is there for. If DOMA were to be found unconstitutional the question of what will the future of same-sex marriages in the United States would remain largely the same.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

I wonder if those bigots are christians.
Usually are.
You must have had someone who called themselves Christian do something really bad to you. You are so bitter toward Christians. I'm sorry.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I anticipate an ugly back lash when people realise who caused them to lose hard earned benefits that they depended on for their survival. Ugly.
If this is the latest talking point, it got garbled in the transcription. In other words: What are you on about?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Since I don't live in the U.S. at present, I wouldn't feel compelled to do anything. But I'd feel the same way if I lived there.

The DOMA law seems to clearly be putting the Federal government into the position of defining marriage in the individual state, which I don't think is its constitutional bailiwick. I should think that constitutional conservatives would be pleased with DOMA being struck down as it would confirm their strong stand for states rights.

Obviously how the states individually will deal with marriage is likely to vary, and maybe there are/will be constitutional issues there, but that's what the Supreme Court is there for. If DOMA were to be found unconstitutional the question of what will the future of same-sex marriages in the United States would remain largely the same.
Of course a DOMA repeal will change same sex marriage. A legally married gay couple moves to a state that does not recognize their marriage, it would still be recognized by the FEDS. That will certainly create some confusion.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Which is why every two single people, gay or not, will get the piece of paper that gives them those benefits. The system will collapse.
I seriously doubt that. I can go out and get a marriage license and be married by the end of the week, but I have no desire to do so. With the marital benefits comes risk. DOMA has nothing to do with divorce and asset division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You must have had someone who called themselves Christian do something really bad to you. You are so bitter toward Christians. I'm sorry.
Can you blame her? Christian may not be the only judgmental people in the world, but they are they loudest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies