Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM

142 posts, read 121,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Of course a DOMA repeal will change same sex marriage. A legally married gay couple moves to a state that does not recognize their marriage, it would still be recognized by the FEDS. That will certainly create some confusion.
No more than it does now, when a couple legally married in one state moves to another state that does not recognize such marriages.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,329,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiwit View Post
No more than it does now, when a couple legally married in one state moves to another state that does not recognize such marriages.
Your wrong. Currently if a gay married couples moves to a state that has banned same sex marriage what benefits do they get? None!!
If DOMA goes down then they would maintain their Federal recognition even though the state would not recognize their marriage.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,180,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I expect you'll lose your Social Security benefits because of it. Congratulations.
Social Security has already been going down the tubes so I hear, for years. But let's blame the gays.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM

334 posts, read 452,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfTheReich View Post
I may even send them to religious school just to keep them out of the indoctrination centers of the government even though they aren't raised religious.

Are you serious ?? REALLY

Old 03-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Since gay couples will be getting all these benefits from the feds, the government will have less money for other things.

WHAT benefits are gay couples going to get? Really I want to know what you think thet are going to be, AND be enough value for the need to cut services.

I don't post a lot but I do check in at least every other day.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I expect you'll lose your Social Security benefits because of it. Congratulations.

Social Security is NOT at risk, that is a right wing scare tactic.

EVERYONE that works pays into SS unless they are members of an exempt group.

All this destruction for 3%(that's the number you guys use) of the population and what percentage would want to get married?

You guys really need to STOP listening to the drug addict Rush, the drunk Beck, and their ilk.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,522,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
This will be the end of all spousal benefits eventualy. Too bad for those who want to contribute to society by raising a family.
Some of you don't get out of the cave very often, it seems to me. Major corporations, and some units of government, have been extending spousal benefits to same sex partners for some time now ... and these businesses continue to thrive and be successful. It's time to stop the discrimination so many people in this discussion seem to promote. Such behavior is contrary to our nation's traditional values.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A common law marriage does not require government permission.

MOST states no longer recognize Common-Law marriages, which were in reality much different that many think.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,317,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not seeing the issue we're addressing by allowing gays to marry other than they want my blessing on their unions and I see no reason for that either. Do what you want behind closed doors just keep me out of it.
Have you not been paying attention to the SCOTUS hearings? A woman was forced to pay over $300K in taxes when her partner died. They were married in their state, but the Feds don't recognize the marriage. Why whould gay couples who build a life together be taxed like that when one dies? (granted, not all gay couples have estates that would cause that high of a tax).

And don't worry, I'll never invite you or anyone other than my partner behind our closed door

Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Some of you don't get out of the cave very often, it seems to me. Major corporations, and some units of government, have been extending spousal benefits to same sex partners for some time now ... and these businesses continue to thrive and be successful. It's time to stop the discrimination so many people in this discussion seem to promote. Such behavior is contrary to our nation's traditional values.
At a previous job they would provide benefits to a same sex partner if they signed a paper stating if marriage was legal here they would be married, no fellow employees had a problem with this, family benefits for everyone were not free, but paid for by the employee at the group rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies