Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The problem is we treat drug addiction as a disease instead of a moral failing of a corrupt individual. Needle drug users are the worst. I wish we llived in a society where everyone hated needle drug users.

I'll agree with you on the fact that using drugs with a needle such as heroin, is shear stupidity on the part of the individual. Not only is that type of drug extremely dangerous, but the dangers of potential diseases that accompany using non-sterile needles, such as HIV, or hepatitis! However; I don't hate those people, and I would hope that they would seek help for their addiction. Drug addiction or possession though should NEVER be treated as a criminal offense, unless a crime is indeed committed trying to get their drugs. Then punish the crime!!!

For record, at least with a substance like pot, you're not going to hear too often of a pothead knocking over a 7-11 to get his or her fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Lets stop blaming Mexicans for the drugs smuggled into America..

Well, Mexicans are largely to blame ... so it's okay to blame them for transportation. But it's an excellent point that drug abusers in the USA are the root cause of the problem about which our federal government seems to be doing little to curtail. The government must know where the laundered billions in profit from the drug trade is moving to/from ... and it's looking the other way. The little guys get caught, the big fish swim away. We've done a lot to destroy parts of Mexico with the national obsession with illegal drugs in the USA. Shame on us.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Prohibition doesn't work. History has shown us that."

History has shown us that feel good legislation offerred by politicians to an equally uninspired electorate who are satisfied throwing money at a problem as hard evidence they did their best to resolve the issue, whether it be gun violence or its source, drugs and gangs....... does not work ...and engenders defeatist attitudes as posted above.

Illegal drug use has to be kept in perspective and the downstream impact considered. A large part of that is the gun violence, an issue everyone is clamoring about. If you don't mind the gun violence then by all means maintain the current attitude of tolerence and continue to pass feel good laws.

Without the drugs and gangs, gun violence would not even be an issue. Drug use removes contributing citizens from society.

If you use drugs you condone gangs, murders and gun violence...perhaps its best you ingest these chemicals to linger in an altered state to hide hide from the misery your joy has brought to millions.

The only reason for the violence is because we've criminalized it, and made a black market out of it. Al Capone thanks you! It's not a defeatist attitude! It's reality. Explain to me for example, why we still continue to fight a war on a GOD given plant? Explain to me why it is the largest cash crop in the US, yet it is illegal? You did also know that the best stuff is grown in the US and Canada, right? I don't advocate the use of other drugs, and have never tried them, nor plan on it, but let's face it "the war on drugs" is a waste of our taxpayer's money, and it's kind of hard to win this fake a** war when the US Government is playing both sides of it! I do however; fully support repealing the prohibition of cannabis, as it is based on propaganda and lies spewed forth by special interests who fear taking a hit in their wallets. There is no reason why when alcohol and tobacco (and I do admittedly consume both) which are more harmful to the body, yet they are legal. You'll have to excuse me that I find prohibition of cannabis to be one of the biggest crocks of s*** out there!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Well, Mexicans are largely to blame ... so it's okay to blame them for transportation. But it's an excellent point that drug abusers in the USA are the root cause of the problem about which our federal government seems to be doing little to curtail. The government must know where the laundered billions in profit from the drug trade is moving to/from ... and it's looking the other way. The little guys get caught, the big fish swim away. We've done a lot to destroy parts of Mexico with the national obsession with illegal drugs in the USA. Shame on us.

As I've said, the government plays both sides of the coin, and is swimming along with the "big fish" if you will. Absolute hypocrisy!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is a question I want you to think about. Why is there a demand for drugs?
The gument makes em do it.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Just legalize it, and the crime goes away

Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
End the Drug War and the problem is solved.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is a question I want you to think about. Why is there a demand for drugs?
Because they make you feel good.
If you've never used a drug recreationally, you missed out on a lot.
I'm not saying it's a great, or even a good thing, but it's a thing...an experience.
I don't trust people who've never used something. I find them naive of reality (or non reality).
Much of what they say has no understanding of how things are...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just legalize it, and the crime goes away
Just legalize everything, and there will be no wrong...

Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Well, IMO marijuana should be decriminalized. The war on drugs is an utter failure.

The other question is how much weed should the CBP allow into the US, and how much cash should be going back to Mexico?

Maybe the US Government can generate some tax revenue by decriminalizing it.

The other problem is which people would use the weed in moderation before they become a danger to themselves or someone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies