Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 06:27 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
...seems to be showing a long-term trend....but there could be a plateau out there in the future
Which would still leave half of the country with a majority in favor of marriage equality and the other half of the country overwhelmingly in favor. QED.

Quote:
I guess I can't believe society is coming 'round to a more tolerant position on this.
I'm sure that many reasonable people didn't believe society was coming around to a more tolerant position vis a vis civil rights, women's suffrage, freedom from slavery, and independence from the crown.

Quote:
What do you all think accounts for this improvement in public opinion?
It's part of a 400 year trend in society toward increasing compassion and consideration of others. It's probably strange for Gen X'ers and Millennials, because like everything, even within long-term trends, there are cycles and the last 50 years have been a time of increased self-motivation, but the overall long-term trend is still toward society maturing, and even the reactionary efforts of some over the last several decades cannot hold back that long-term trend.

Quote:
I wonder if the internet has something to do with it.
Well, it surely could account for shaking things free and starting the micro-cycle back up the other way, but it surely wouldn't account for the earlier instances of this long-term trend toward increasing consideration of others that I mentioned.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Have you seen the demographics for this issue? The study was released last week showing that the percent of Republicans opposing marriage equality has plummeted, from 76% of those over 65, to 69% of those 50-65, to 66% of those 30-49, to 54% of those 18-29. Where do you see any softness in that trend? It looks like the numbers have fallen off a cliff, to me.
doesnt matter really...these things wax and wane...in a few more decades there will be another up start group or another group of religious zealots monopolizing the airwaves, and the message will be completely different. Its not like anyone's voice is going to be completely silenced just because a few statistics point to an acute trend in one generation compared to the last.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
So sick of it.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM

142 posts, read 120,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have always been neutral on the subject of gay marriage, but the gay marriage activists are ruining it for me. I hate how in your face they are and how they automatically assume that anybody against gay marriage is a homophobic bigot. It almost makes me not want them to win with gay marriage issues because of how obnoxious they can be. I also hate how sensitive they can be. Like if somebody says "That's so gay" they get all offended.

Anybody else feel this way?
The word you appear to be looking for is "uppity".

Old 03-29-2013, 06:43 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I fully agree. They need to get out of gay bedrooms and back into women's pants where they belong.
Oh holy crap, that's the funniest post on here in weeks.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's part of a 400 year trend in society toward increasing compassion and consideration of others.
doesnt matter really...these things wax and wane...in a few more decades there will be another up start group or another group of religious zealots monopolizing the airwaves, and the message will be completely different.
The "few more decades" is indeed properly applied to the upswing in right-wing reactionary sentiment, which hopefully is beginning to wane.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:13 AM

408 posts, read 607,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh holy crap, that's the funniest post on here in weeks.
It's possibly the least clever post I've read in weeks. Sounds like a preteen wrote it

Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
It's possibly the least clever post I've read in weeks. Sounds like a preteen wrote it
That's probably because you didn't get the joke.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Default Not True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I have always been neutral on the subject of gay marriage, but the gay marriage activists are ruining it for me. I hate how in your face they are and how they automatically assume that anybody against gay marriage is a homophobic bigot. It almost makes me not want them to win with gay marriage issues because of how obnoxious they can be. I also hate how sensitive they can be. Like if somebody says "That's so gay" they get all offended.

Anybody else feel this way?
I do not agree with you.

The issue of civil rights and equality for members of the LGBT community is a "hot button" and passionate cause for this community, which has suffered discrimination and prejudice in the past.

I think what you are saying that you want this community to be "quiet and polite good homosexuals" ... just as I am sure there where whites in America in the 1950s and 1960s who wanted "quiet and polite Negroes" to discreetly press for their freedoms.

In this country, it doesn't work that way. Rightly or wrongly, it is the squeakiest wheel that gets oiled.

Now lets be honest, I am sure there are a lot of heterosexuals out there that don't mind gay people having rights but feel at the same time that "marriage" is a uniquely heterosexual institution. We can have a civil and respectful debate about that. However, I think you are unaware of the fact that it is the opponents of marriage equality that went off on the deep end and are calling LGBT people everything from "fascists" and "pedophiles" to "disease spreaders."

Unfortunately civil discourse is disappearing in the realm of political debate in this country. We are becoming highly polarized.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not agree with you.

The issue of civil rights and equality for members of the LGBT community is a "hot button" and passionate cause for this community, which has suffered discrimination and prejudice in the past.

I think what you are saying that you want this community to be "quiet and polite good homosexuals" ... just as I am sure there where whites in America in the 1950s and 1960s who wanted "quiet and polite Negroes" to discreetly press for their freedoms.

In this country, it doesn't work that way. Rightly or wrongly, it is the squeakiest wheel that gets oiled.

Now lets be honest, I am sure there are a lot of heterosexuals out there that don't mind gay people having rights but feel at the same time that "marriage" is a uniquely heterosexual institution. We can have a civil and respectful debate about that. However, I think you are unaware of the fact that it is the opponents of marriage equality that went off on the deep end and are calling LGBT people everything from "fascists" and "pedophiles" to "disease spreaders."

Unfortunately civil discourse is disappearing in the realm of political debate in this country. We are becoming highly polarized.
I couldn't rep you again. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies