Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think it's great liberals have become such civil libertarians. I'm hoping that they continue their march onward and fight for our Constitutional right to bear arms. I'm also happy that liberals do not believe the government should be in our bedrooms. My hope is that liberals will also come to believe that the government shouldn't be in my bathroom either by regulating the type of toilet I buy or in my living room by regulating the type of light bulb I may purchase in the privacy of my own home.

Come to think of it, this is going to be great. They should start with the appeal of Obamacare: we've all heard liberals say, in the context of the abortion debate, that the healthcare decisions of a woman are none of the government's business; let's extend this to men as well and begin the repeal, the government shouldn't be in the doctor's office either.

Liberals, will you continue to fight for the government to get out of our private lives, or will you admit that you fight for only those rights you support, and not all constitutional rights.
Nice try. I'm as libweral as they come, I own over a dozen firearms and shoot black powder competitions, and I am for 100% backgraound checks on all gun sales, public and private, with associated paperwork. You can bear arms all you like, but it needs to be well-regulated.

As far as the rest, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your home, and I think marriage should be legal for all consenting adults in whatever numbers or combinations they choose, and I don't care what they smoke after sex.

The government should also be out of the abortion legislating business and let women make their own choices, and churches should be taxed as businesses.

That help clear things up?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:05 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think there is hypocrisy if the liberals who support the above laws frame the debate around libertarian ideals of small government that doesn't tell you what to do.

I think it is also ridiculous that we have already had one poster solely blame Bush for a law written and passed by Democrats with GOP votes against it.

However, if liberals frame the debate instead from the point of whether it harms society.....would they not have a more sound argument.

One could believe that Gay Marriage does not harm society - so it should not be banned.

One could also believe that incandescent light bulbs do harm society - so it should be banned.

etc...
According to Politifacts:

Quote:
Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007. But it got a measure of bipartisan support. It passed the House with a 264-163 vote (with 36 Republicans voting in favor). And in the Senate, the vote was 65-27 (with 20 votes in favor from Republicans).
Oh, and incandescent light bulbs were never banned.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:06 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Default Quit lying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The light bulb ban was from W, try again. The democrats support freedom and honoring the constitution, something the GOP is completely against.
You are a master of lies. The ban of 100W incandescent light bulbs comes out of the "green" so-called "movement" which is leftist extremism all the way.

And, since when do the Democrats support freedom, and honor the Constitution? Never! If they did, we wouldn't have ObamCare thrust on us (shoved down our throats) under the cover of darkness, with little debate, and no one having even read the bill (under the advise of Nancy Pelosi, who famously stated, "We have to pass this bill; then we will find out what's in it." Does that sound like "honoring" the Constitution? That sounds like tyranny to me.

You dare to say the GOP is "completely against" the Constitution? Have you not heard of the what the Democrats are attempting to do to the Second Amendment, while the Republicans defend it?

Do Republicans not stand up for the First Amendment, while Democrats want to force churches and business people who want to run their businesses in accordance with their religious convictions, to distribute birth control and abortifacients to employees via their health insurance plans?

Surely, you must be blind!

Is it not the Democrat Party that is making an all out attack on freedom of speech, with attempts to silence any criticism of Islam (recall the attacks on Michele Bachmann in reguards to the letter signed by five Congressmen, including Bachmann, sent to several Inspectors General)? Hillary Clinton has also spoken openly about speech that is offensive to Muslims (of course, she does not extend her sympathy to attacks on the Christian faith).

Your Party, Sir, is the Anti-Constitution Party. To make the claim that it is the Democrat Party, not the Republican Party that defends the Constitution is an egregious lie!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You are a master of lies. The ban of 100W incandescent light bulbs comes out of the "green" so-called "movement" which is leftist extremism all the way.

And, since when do the Democrats support freedom, and honor the Constitution? Never! If they did, we wouldn't have ObamCare thrust on us (shoved down our throats) under the cover of darkness, with little debate, and no one having even read the bill (under the advise of Nancy Pelosi, who famously stated, "We have to pass this bill; then we will find out what's in it." Does that sound like "honoring" the Constitution? That sounds like tyranny to me.

You dare to say the GOP is "completely against" the Constitution? Have you not heard of the what the Democrats are attempting to do to the Second Amendment, while the Republicans defend it?

Do Republicans not stand up for the First Amendment, while Democrats want to force churches and business people who want to run their businesses in accordance with their religious convictions, to distribute birth control and abortifacients to employees via their health insurance plans?

Surely, you must be blind!

Is it not the Democrat Party that is making an all out attack on freedom of speech, with attempts to silence any criticism of Islam (recall the attacks on Michele Bachmann in reguards to the letter signed by five Congressmen, including Bachmann, sent to several Inspectors General)? Hillary Clinton has also spoken openly about speech that is offensive to Muslims (of course, she does not extend her sympathy to attacks on the Christian faith).

Your Party, Sir, is the Anti-Constitution Party. To make the claim that it is the Democrat Party, not the Republican Party that defends the Constitution is an egregious lie!
I see the radical right wing brainwashing has gotten to you. Suddenly W didn't sign the light bulb bill?

The GOP passed and supports the patriot act, which is likely the most anti-freedom and anti-constitution bill in US history.

The GOP supports and created the DHS, a huge government and massive spending agency to watch over us and impede on our privacy.

The GOP tries to force huge government and anti-freedom legislation down our throats to force women to tell them what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

The GOP tries to force huge government and anti-freedom legislation to attack gays.

The GOP tries to force huge government and anti-freedom legislation by forcing prayer in schools.

The GOP tries to force huge government and anti-freedom on the nation with their religious nonsense and I'm just getting started.

Today's radical right GOP and teabaggers are the face of fascism that are hell bent on destroying the nation. They can go to hell or to their dream utopia of Iran, their choice

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The difference is that we disagree with your interpretation.
Precisely: It's amazing how easily libertarians overlook the difference between what are actually Constitutional rights, and what they want to be Constitutional rights, and how callously and carelessly libertarians overlook the who matter of inherent rights except when they assert their own corrupted conception of self-serving rights as inherent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Us liberals also notice the little word "militia" in that Amendment, which we view as a post colonial means to defend from foreign invasion sans a military.
And at the very least, that the right to bear arms explicitly can be regulated. Otherwise, the phrasing would have been, "without regulation" instead of "well-regulated". Of course, libertarians casually corrupt their interpretation of the words to their own ends, even when their corruption actually reverses the meaning of the words.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Isn't this like the flock blaming Bush for Obama's lies, hypocrisies, and broken promises?
Yes, it is. The blindness of the leftists on here (I suspect it's willful blindness) is mind boggling. The intent is much like rewriting the history books. It is using propaganda to poison the minds of those who will believe it, against Republicans.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Let's see: liberals support freedom of speech by opposing censorship, conservatives in government punish speech they don't like by outing a CIA analyst and destroying her career.

Liberals defend the freedom of religion, conservatives try to mandate religious indoctrination in public schools.

Liberals stand for equal protection of the laws, conservatives respond by trying to impeach Justices who support the Fourteenth Amendment.

Liberals support the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, conservatives attack them for it.

Liberals support the Fourteenth Amendment, conservatives attack what they call "birthright citizenship".

Conservatives pass laws dictating what doctors must say to their patients, even mandating that they tell them things that are simply false.

Don't worry, we liberals will continue to support the real Constitution. We'll leave it to you to defend the Toilet Amendment and the Light Bulb Amendment.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:37 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Sorry, but the OP's argument is silly. Individual rights should always be upheld unless they cause harm to others. You don't get to yell fire in a crowded theater. You can't dump chemicals in the water, etc. No one is trying to take away all guns--just have a debate and try to hammer out policy that deals with issues of gun safety in our communities.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am a Liberal and support the Constitution of the United States of America.

I am appalled by politicians, businessmen, churchmen and other power groups working to pervert this document to their own ends. I often wonder how the First Amendment protecting free speech allows either Faux Noise to spew complete fabrications or most advertisers to make their false claims. I guess if we are going to protect religions from regulation we have to protect the voice of Mammon as well.

My interpretation of the Second Amendment would require, under the well regulated clause that every citizen be taught weapons safety, handling and marksmanship as part of their basic education. IMHO well regulated means well trained with military weapons.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The bill had bipartisanship support and Bush signed it into law. He signed it, he owns it.
The last time I checked, there is no line-item veto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies