Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'm glad to see you have finally come around put ALL the responsibility for invading Iraq on Clinton.

He signed the bill calling for a regime change in Iraq. "He signed it, he owns it". All Bush did was carry out the order.

See how that works?
That`s not even close to how it works.Try as you may,this fiasco is in the history books and you can`t rewrite it.It wasn`t Clinton who kicked Hans Blix and his team of weapons inspectors out of the country and went on a killing spree.As Colin Powell said on Meet The Press,without the talk of wmd`s there would have been no war.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Three examples......the Iraq war, Medicare Part D, and No Child Left Behind.

A true conservative would have had none of it.
So Tom DeLay and the Republicans in Congress must have all been progressives too, because they passed Medicare Part D. By your definition most Republicans are progressives.

No, what you have uncovered is conservative hypocrisy. While conservatives say they are for all of those things, they really are in favor of getting in power and using that power to bolster the areas they like and destroy the areas they don't like. Even Ronald Reagan, who was swept into power on the promise to get the government off the people's back, increased the size of government by 25%.

If Bush was such a progressive why was he so hostile to environmental regulation? Why was he for deregulation? Why was he so in favor of oil drilling? Why did he nominate the most socially conservative judges and justices?

Republicans pushed Medicare Part D because they received large contributions from insurance and drug companies. That's why one provision of Medicare Part D is to prohibit negotiating with drug companies over price. In fact, one can trace most Republican initiative to corporate donors. That's why they passed bankruptcy reform that makes it impossible to use the bankruptcy against credit cards (thank you banking lobby.)

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM

While the OP and others disparage liberals, let us remember that:

Liberals ended slavery in this country.
Liberals got women the right to vote.
Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote.
Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty.
Liberals ended segregation.
Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.
Liberals created Medicare.
Liberals passed the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things; every one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post27739167

Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
While the OP and others disparage liberals, let us remember that:

Liberals ended slavery in this country.
Liberals got women the right to vote.
Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote.
Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty.
Liberals ended segregation.
Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act.
Liberals created Medicare.
Liberals passed the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things; every one.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post27739167
This has nothing to do with the original post. I know you're trying to pose this deflection as an argument winner because you want me to come in and disagree with you, but I won't take your bait. Would you like to answer the OP: will you support all Constitutional rights or only those you agree with?

If you're against the government being in the bedroom, do you believe the government should be in the bathroom as well?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think it's great liberals have become such civil libertarians. I'm hoping that they continue their march onward and fight for our Constitutional right to bear arms. I'm also happy that liberals do not believe the government should be in our bedrooms. My hope is that liberals will also come to believe that the government shouldn't be in my bathroom either by regulating the type of toilet I buy or in my living room by regulating the type of light bulb I may purchase in the privacy of my own home.
Well that's a poor example, because the light bulbs you buy use electricity that was generated outside your home, sometimes by a public utility, typically with public money, often using scarce resources that were dug out of the ground, and burned, which deposits hazardous chemicals into public and private air and water.

The toliet you flush uses water that was typically drawn from public waters, filtered by a public utility using publicly-regulated electricity, transfered through public pipes to your home. then when you flush, you're disposing waste that is transferred through public pipes to another public utility, where it is again discharged into public waters.

So the idea that we should conserve electricity and water is because of the need to manage scarce public resources. A strict constitutionalist would declare that pollution itself was against the constitution, since it violates individual rights, and would declare all heavy industry and polluting utilities to be shut down.

A strict constitutionalist would obliterate the American economy and return us into the stone age.

So actually, you should admit , as a pro-business Republican, that you ALSO do not support a strict constitutional interpretation.

And that's not even opening the can of worms that is religious freedom....

Quote:
Liberals, will you continue to fight for the government to get out of our private lives, or will you admit that you fight for only those rights you support, and not all constitutional rights.
I support constitutional rights, however, the constitution is up for interpretation.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with the original post. I know you're trying to pose this deflection as an argument winner because you want me to come in and disagree with you, but I won't take your bait. Would you like to answer the OP: will you support all Constitutional rights or only those you agree with?

If you're against the government being in the bedroom, do you believe the government should be in the bathroom as well?
While it may not focus on your original post, many conservatives have posted on your thread generally disparaging comments about liberals. Case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Yes, it is. The blindness of the leftists on here (I suspect it's willful blindness) is mind boggling. The intent is much like rewriting the history books. It is using propaganda to poison the minds of those who will believe it, against Republicans.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Let's see: liberals support freedom of speech by opposing censorship, conservatives in government punish speech they don't like by outing a CIA analyst and destroying her career.

Liberals defend the freedom of religion, conservatives try to mandate religious indoctrination in public schools.

Liberals stand for equal protection of the laws, conservatives respond by trying to impeach Justices who support the Fourteenth Amendment.

Liberals support the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, conservatives attack them for it.

Liberals support the Fourteenth Amendment, conservatives attack what they call "birthright citizenship".

Conservatives pass laws dictating what doctors must say to their patients, even mandating that they tell them things that are simply false.

Don't worry, we liberals will continue to support the real Constitution. We'll leave it to you to defend the Toilet Amendment and the Light Bulb Amendment.
This post discredits the OP's entire theme, namely, that liberals don't support the constitution, which they do.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Will liberals stand up and support other Constitutional rights?

No.

I only support constitutional rights if I can stay seated.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:54 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This post discredits the OP's entire theme, namely, that liberals don't support the constitution, which they do.
Liberals only support the constitution when it's something they agree with. Show me one time where a liberal supported the constitution in a case where it was something that wasn't typically liberal to support. Have fun searching.

I'm a straight married conservative white guy (not exactly a liberal's target voter) but I fully support gay marriage and gay adoption and feel that both are constitutionally protected rights of all people, not just straight people in this country.

Where are all the anti-gun liberals who still support my 2nd amendment rights because it's still a constitutional right?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
I think it's great liberals have become such civil libertarians. I'm hoping that they continue their march onward and fight for our Constitutional right to bear arms.
... responsibly rather than a God given right.

Quote:
I'm also happy that liberals do not believe the government should be in our bedrooms.
Don't be just happy, look at your conservative brethren who fight against it.

Quote:
My hope is that liberals will also come to believe that the government shouldn't be in my bathroom either by regulating the type of toilet I buy or in my living room by regulating the type of light bulb I may purchase in the privacy of my own home.
And flush down your own natural resources, at your own peril.

Quote:
hey should start with the appeal of Obamacare: we've all heard liberals say, in the context of the abortion debate, that the healthcare decisions of a woman are none of the government's business; let's extend this to men as well and begin the repeal, the government shouldn't be in the doctor's office either.
For what purpose? Government's role involves protections to the people that institute it. Managing the resources to be used by people that institute it.

Quote:
Liberals, will you continue to fight for the government to get out of our private lives, or will you admit that you fight for only those rights you support, and not all constitutional rights.
Fighting conservatives is technically fighting for pretty much all constitutional rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies