Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times

Advertisements

I am an African. It is a geographic and cultural identity. My race is caucasian. It is insulting for people who are not from Africa to disparage my connection to Africa. My roots are from England, Scotland, Germany, and St. Helena originally, but my family lived in Africa since the 1600's.

My husband is African, but is multiracial with roots that are Xhosa, Fingo, Dutch, Malaysian, and Scottish.

To expect Africans to identify with the countries of their European ancestors is bizarre especially when most Africans are not the products of a single ethnic or cultural line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
There viewed as Africans, that is their nationality, that is where they are from.

Africa isn't a nation it is a continent. Your nationality is the country that you hold citizenship in.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There is no biological basis with regard to "race".

Ethnicity, and genetics are entirely different. Race is a social construct.
You'd be wrong then. Race is all about genetics. Ethnicity and culture are about social contruct.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Man's very first beginings beneath the Copper Sun
Lie deeply buried in the dust of Olduvai

We are Scatterlings of Africa! Each and everyone.

From the song "Scatterlings of Africa" by Juluka

In a very real sense all our bloodlines go back to an African.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Italians seem to hang on to their Italian identity for generations. My boss is one of those. It was actually her great - grandparents that were from Italy. I would never argue someone's identity with them, but I think 98% of Italian descended Americans would be like fish out of water if they actually went to live in Italy. lol.
Yes, I agree. Most of us would be totally out of water in Italy. It is self contained.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I am an African. It is a geographic and cultural identity. My race is caucasian. It is insulting for people who are not from Africa to disparage my connection to Africa. My roots are from England, Scotland, Germany, and St. Helena originally, but my family lived in Africa since the 1600's.

My husband is African, but is multiracial with roots that are Xhosa, Fingo, Dutch, Malaysian, and Scottish.

To expect Africans to identify with the countries of their European ancestors is bizarre especially when most Africans are not the products of a single ethnic or cultural line.
Then you must know first hand that the vast majority of european descended people in Africa do not culturally subscribe to anything African. They are still a very euro-centric people. Perhaps if the european people in Africa acted more....African, then they could claim the title. Every White person from Africa that I have met shows almost zero cultural difference when compared to an austrailian, Canadian, or even a typical white American like myself.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Then you must know first hand that the vast majority of european descended people in Africa do not culturally subscribe to anything African. They are still a very euro-centric people. Perhaps if the european people in Africa acted more....African, then they could claim the title. Every White person from Africa that I have met shows almost zero cultural difference when compared to an austrailian, Canadian, or even a typical white American like myself.
No I don't think you can generalize at all. I think the individual identity of Africans of every race is strongly influenced by their politics and history.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
In Zimbabwe, the answer would also be, "No."

Their 2012 Census enumerates Zimbabweans as:

• African
  • European
  • Asiatic
  • Mixed race
  • Other

Yes they are Africans. Abe Lincoln once asked (paraphrase) "how many legs does a dog have, if we call the tail a leg?" And Lincoln then answered his own question (parahprase): "Four. Calling a tail a leg does not make it one."

Old 03-28-2013, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,483 times
Default Afrikaners are Africans. Whites, that's another topic

Why?

Let me give you guys and gals some perspective as I know better than most on this subject.

Let me put it this way. What makes you something? Your blood line, or your skin colour?

All Afrikaners has 2% to 5% African blood yet they are white.

What is Morocans or Egyptians then? They are not black.

Whites in Africa is a general term. Many whites are born in Africa but they don't have a drop of black blood.

Afrikaners (boers) are just one sub group of whites. By throwing Afrikaners into the white group, people miss the point totally. Sadly this happen in reference to South Africa, it's politics and economies.

Once you take Afrikaners out the equation of the bigger white group, you'll get more clarity.

An Afrikaner born in Africa is an African.
A white born in Africa is an Euro-African.

The one mixed with Africa, the other did not. (Fresh off the white gene pool as they say)

http://www.dunesurfer.com/2013/who-is-the-afrikaner/

Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikaner View Post
Why?

Let me give you guys and gals some perspective as I know better than most on this subject.

Let me put it this way. What makes you something? Your blood line, or your skin colour?

All Afrikaners has 2% to 5% African blood yet they are white.

What is Morocans or Egyptians then? They are not black.

Whites in Africa is a general term. Many whites are born in Africa but they don't have a drop of black blood.

Afrikaners (boers) are just one sub group of whites. By throwing Afrikaners into the white group, people miss the point totally. Sadly this happen in reference to South Africa, it's politics and economies.

Once you take Afrikaners out the equation of the bigger white group, you'll get more clarity.
So, in other words, a white person who is born in Africa, is an African, and a black person born in Africa is an African. Similar to the way that I am North American in birth. Is that what you are saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies