Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times

Advertisements

The answer is NO.

I think some people are applying the western definition identity to non-western countries.

Obviously in the US being born here makes you an American. In many other countries citizenship and identity are legally tied to ancestry.

To my understanding, simply being born in China does not make one "Chinese" or "Asian" according to their government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikaner View Post
Why?

Let me give you guys and gals some perspective as I know better than most on this subject.

Let me put it this way. What makes you something? Your blood line, or your skin colour?

All Afrikaners has 2% to 5% African blood yet they are white.

What is Morocans or Egyptians then? They are not black.

Whites in Africa is a general term. Many whites are born in Africa but they don't have a drop of black blood.

Afrikaners (boers) are just one sub group of whites. By throwing Afrikaners into the white group, people miss the point totally. Sadly this happen in reference to South Africa, it's politics and economies.

Once you take Afrikaners out the equation of the bigger white group, you'll get more clarity.

An Afrikaner born in Africa is an African.
A white born in Africa is an Euro-African.

The one mixed with Africa, the other did not. (Fresh off the white gene pool as they say)

http://www.dunesurfer.com/2013/who-is-the-afrikaner/
This post raises an excellent question. The link is to a well known white nationalist who does not believe in multiculturalism or inclusion. Should a person who believes that "white" Africans who are descended from Europeans and call themselves "Afrikaners", and want to live in isolation from the rest of Africa, call themselves African?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,755 times
Does such thing as an American African exist?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
To me African American is a heritage, if indeed someone can trace their roots back to Africa.

However, simply calling all black people African American is misleading because there are black people all over the world who might be South American, Canadian, Caribbean, or from all kinds of countries.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Why?

Let me give you guys and gals some perspective as I know better than most on this subject.

Let me put it this way. What makes you something? Your blood line, or your skin colour?

All Afrikaners has 2% to 5% African blood yet they are white.

What is Morocans or Egyptians then? They are not black.

Whites in Africa is a general term. Many whites are born in Africa but they don't have a drop of black blood.

Afrikaners (boers) are just one sub group of whites. By throwing Afrikaners into the white group, people miss the point totally. Sadly this happen in reference to South Africa, it's politics and economies.

Once you take Afrikaners out the equation of the bigger white group, you'll get more clarity.

An Afrikaner born in Africa is an African.
A white born in Africa is an Euro-African.

The one mixed with Africa, the other did not. (Fresh off the white gene pool as they say)

Who is the Afrikaner?

If Afrikaners are so much part of Africa, why did they separate themselves from Africans for hundreds of years?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I guess I am not white then, I am Lithuanian-American.

Ever hear the term KISS (keep it simple stupid)? Trying to be PC by calling people Nigerian-American, Kenyan-American, etc..is just a little much. Then you might offend someone by calling them Kenyan -American if they are Nigerian-American. Ugh...I like the terms white and black, just like the cookie.
That's just uncultured to me. There is nothing difficult about recognizing and respecting culture. Just ask someone their ethnicity if you don't know, rather than assume. If all a person can understand is color than they likely lack culture themselves. "KISS" must be necessary for the stupid.

(I went to school with a Lithuanian-American who did not consider herself white...and neither did her family)

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 2,481 times
"Well known naitionalist that don't believe in multiculturalism"??? LOL

He is a well known guy that embrace multiculturalism and is married to a black woman! Just goes to show the ignorance and nonsense some people sprout. Heaven help us!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,481 times
uH??? Afrikaners only seperated themselves from blacks during Apartheid. Read up on some history other than the 47 years Apartheid lasted.

So, why did they seperate themselves? Because the Africans were raping and murdering the small white minority before Apartheid. Well documented from the early 17th century till Apartheid.

Black Africans were warring nations, killing off smaller groups of other African nations. Either enslaving them, or assimilating them. The best known is the Xhosa or the Zulu.

The Biggest massacre and raping of women and children, including 200 mixed race people that trekked with the Boers was a Blauwkrans. Minorities don't make it in Africa. Look at the history. The Afrikaner learned it the hard way. Apartheid was jus trying to buy time.

The Battle of Blood River, South Africa

Black people are no angels. The difference is many black and white people move forward, but you sit with a handful of idiots that always live in the past. There are 3 million Afrikaners in South Africa compared to 50 million blacks. Think about it...

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
uH??? Afrikaners only seperated themselves from blacks during Apartheid. Read up on some history other than the 47 years Apartheid lasted.

So, why did they seperate themselves? Because the Africans were raping and murdering the small white minority before Apartheid. Well documented from the early 17th century till Apartheid.

Black Africans were warring nations, killing off smaller groups of other African nations. Either enslaving them, or assimilating them. The best known is the Xhosa or the Zulu.

The Biggest massacre and raping of women and children, including 200 mixed race people that trekked with the Boers was a Blauwkrans. Minorities don't make it in Africa. Look at the history. The Afrikaner learned it the hard way. Apartheid was jus trying to buy time.

The Battle of Blood River, South Africa

Black people are no angels. The difference is many black and white people move forward, but you sit with a handful of idiots that always live in the past. There are 3 million Afrikaners in South Africa compared to 50 million blacks. Think about it...
I thought Eugene TerreBlanche was dead..................

Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
That's just uncultured to me. There is nothing difficult about recognizing and respecting culture. Just ask someone their ethnicity if you don't know, rather than assume. If all a person can understand is color than they likely lack culture themselves. "KISS" must be necessary for the stupid.

(I went to school with a Lithuanian-American who did not consider herself white...and neither did her family)
I apologize for not being PC but I call it as I see it.

My grandparents may be from Lithuania but I am not. I would never consider myself Lithuanian American unless I personnally moved here from Lithuania. I view my self as an AMerican and to break it down even more, white. If someone were to ask me my backround I could tell them my family is from Lithuania but it does not offend me in th least to be considered white. I like to generalize, if there is a need for more detail it will come later.

I learned the acronym KISS when I was in the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies