Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 PM

318 posts, read 564,678 times

Advertisements

All you hear about on the news today is how everyone should defer to the Hispanic Immigrants because they are the New America. If that is true we are in serious trouble. Nearly every stat about our neighbors from the south coming here is scary. Poverty, crime, education attainment, income, lifestyle, children out of wedlock, etc.

I find many Hispanics from Latin America wonderful people on an individual basis, but as a group are they the best the world has to offer America? Who knows, but the attached article with it's stats is scary: Your thoughts?

Fifty-seven percent of Mexican immigrants on welfare - Spokane Immigration | Examiner.com

Immigrants in the United States: A Profile of America's Foreign-Born Population | Center for Immigration Studies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,456,983 times
Mexicans are the new Irish...The Irish were hated too when they came over here. They were Catholic, poor, uneducated, and drank a lot. Over time, we became upwardly mobile, educated and middle class. The same thing will happen to the descendants of hispanic immigrants over time. In 60-70 years, we'll scratch our heads over what the fuss was about with "those Mexicans".

I really don't see a threat because I take a long view of immigration in this country.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,595,470 times
The intended effect is to keep them poor and on welfare so they vote democratic.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,219,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Mexicans are the new Irish...The Irish were hated too when they came over here. They were Catholic, poor, uneducated, and drank a lot. Over time, we became upwardly mobile, educated and middle class. The same thing will happen to the descendants of hispanic immigrants over time. In 60-70 years, we'll scratch our heads over what the fuss was about with "those Mexicans".

I really don't see a threat because I take a long view of immigration in this country.
Two problems. First, when the Irish came over we weren't a welfare state so they had no choice but to work. Second, Low skilled labor jobs are not in demand. Immigration is a good thing and the replacement rate does need to stay above 2.1. However, there are plenty of Indian and Chinese that will be more than willing to immigrate here and not take or possibly even need a handout. It would be much better from a policy standpoint to allow skilled and educated workers into the country that will actually be able to contribute than people without skills.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM

62,528 posts, read 28,742,976 times
Quote:

Most of the Irish weren't here illegally. Far too many Mexicans and other Latinos are. That's a huge difference. Those coming here illegally are poor, uneducated and unskilled and are a burden to our society. They certainly are showing us they have no respect for our immigration laws either. They come from a culture of corruption and ethnocentricism. The future doesn't look bright.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,744,114 times
Quote:

Except that the Irish helped to build the railroads, and mine the earth, on slave wages. They came over here legally, and took no welfare. There is a huge difference between the two. If anything, we'll be kicking ourselves for allowing the rape of our welfare system.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM

23,755 posts, read 14,878,950 times
Back then, didn't one need a sponsor who would feed and house the new comer? Get them a job?

Now folks are just coming over the border. There is a place about a mile from my house where guys just wait on the street for someone to give them a days work. They get 85-100 dollars a day.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,370,156 times
Quote:

I doubt it.

When those Irish came here they had a desire to assimilate and become "American". There is no such interest for the vast majority of immigrants today. We make everything easy for them to live in ethnic/cultural ghettos. They have billions of tv networks, printed media, education, internet all in Spanish geared toward reinforcing their culture while living in the USA.

That's something the Irish never had.

If it ever happens it will take many more generations than it did for the Irish for Mexicans to become "American" - they don't have the desire. No, I think the USA will become more Mexican, and more (throw a dart at a world map and pick a nation) because people today don't have the desire to be American they want to be hyphenated "americans". They want all of the perks without the effort.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM

14,366 posts, read 9,744,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Back then, didn't one need a sponsor who would feed and house the new comer? Get them a job?

Now folks are just coming over the border. There is a place about a mile from my house where guys just wait on the street for someone to give them a days work. They get 85-100 dollars a day.
Here in Cali we have mobile work centers where illegals wait for a manual labor job. The contractor, or whoever, pays the work center first, and then takes the workers. The work center then pays the workers at the end of the day, after taking their taxes out.

It's illegal to hire illegals, yet the state perpetuates it.

You can also thank illegal immigrants and the uber-PC PSS for the decline in education. They've made all classrooms multilingual day care centers.

Also, I have friends from various SA countries (Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba) and they ALL have the same opinion of Mexicans. It isn't a good opinion. (JSYK - I have a Mexican G. Grandmother)

Last edited by steven_h; 03-20-2013 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM

318 posts, read 564,678 times
As my namesake Mr. Spock would state: Your logic is illogical!

Just because the Irish did very well for themselves over time does not necessarily mean that the Mexican and Central American Immigrants will do too. They spoke English and served a purpose in a completely different time in America. The Irish did better in time due to their desire to work hard, SPEAK ENGLISH and commit to education. If you look at the second report in my original post, you will see this is not true with a significant share of Hispanic Immigrants.

Quote:

Last edited by Mr Spock; 03-20-2013 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies