Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,394,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Reading this is crazy!! I dont care if R's or D's voted for this, the reading that you gave me basically says they can kill us. Its crazy, im speechless. So no avoiding it from what I can see. Yes I do understand your hyperbole statement. Hopefully thats the answer hyperbole.
Monsanto is past the point of no return. You are reading this long after the horse ran out of the barn.

Vislack was appointed by Obama and has deep connections to Monsanto.
Monsanto invaded the FDA a long time ago and has been running it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,505,189 times
so whats the real goal here? To make Monsanto people richer, control us, poison us? All these connected people and whats the real motive do you think? Does it matter? Why??????? What is the why???

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,100,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So here's the thing, smittyjohnny.

Does it bother me that Obama signed this? Yes. Yes it does. I'm not really a "liberal" nor an "Obama voter", but I do have high expectations for the man.

But look at who pushed the damned thing -- a Missouri Republican. This makes Democrats look inept, sure, but it makes Republicans look evil.

I'm not saying you had any credibility to begin with, don't get me wrong -- but you're squarely in negative territory if you think the blame lies solely on the president.
He could have vetoed it, but didn't. "The Buck Stops Here"........not over there -------------->.

Nice try though. You almost successfully defended this President.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,699,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
He could have vetoed it
whether he could have or not is beside the point. the point is (A) whether it made sense to veto a bill that averts government shutdown, and (B) whether or not they knew this was in the bill at all.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,913,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
so whats the real goal here? To make Monsanto people richer, control us, poison us? All these connected people and whats the real motive do you think? Does it matter? Why??????? What is the why???
$ is the answer to most any question.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,699,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Take one step back and look who submitted that damned thing....a Maryland Democrat.
And she didn't even bring it up for debate.
Did she know what had been added to the bill? did anybody?

Quote:
Tester filed an amendment to strip her amendment and his never came up for debate.
i agree he filed to strip out this provision, however, i'm not sure that it was her amendment. the more i read about Jon Tester the more i like him.

Quote:
How It Happened
The legality of how section 735 was injected into the bill in the first place is something of a gray area.

The so-called Monsanto Protection Act was added to HR 933 while the bill was under the Senate Appropriations Committee’s review. Some legal experts say — and procedurally, they seem to be correct — the clause should have been introduced via the Agricultural or Judiciary Committees. It’s still not clear who, if anyone, brought that matter up before the bill was turned into law.

Even scarier is that section 735 was anonymously added to the bill’s wording.

Scarier still is that when asked about section 735, most Democrats knew nothing of it. (Shouldn’t our elected officials actually be, you know, reading the bills they’re turning into law?)

Scariest of all are allegations that Monsanto and Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., worked together to craft the language of the provision.

Did Blunt not know that Monsanto contributes to congressional campaigns on a fairly regular basis? For that matter, did Blunt not realize that Monsanto would stand to gain significantly if section 735 survived and HR 933 was signed into law? Not likely.
The Monsanto Protection Act? Only in America | InvestorPlace

on an unrelated note ... it's interesting how you can't find this topic covered on foxnews, cnn, or msnbc right now, but you can find it on the russian state-sponsored news.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,127,124 times
Quote:
whether he could have or not is beside the point. the point is (A) whether it made sense to veto a bill that averts government shutdown, and (B) whether or not they knew this was in the bill at all.
To make an argument that people might not know what they are voting for or signing is not a defense for anything.

Nobody is going to complain if someone says they refuse to vote for something until they know what they are voting for.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Tester submitted an amendment to get rid of that Monsanto amendment.
So "they" knew. Tester's amendment got thrown to the side.

All of them have staff. You'd think their staff reads bills and gives them summaries.
Of course they will claim ignorance..we approved it, we signed it but we didn't know what was in it ?

Come on...that story is getting pretty old now since that's what we're told every single time these amendments come to light via the MSM.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,972,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
To make an argument that people might not know what they are voting for or signing is not a defense for anything.

Nobody is going to complain if someone says they refuse to vote for something until they know what they are voting for.

I wish that they would have used that same logic before voting for Obamacare, instead of the stupidity of having to pass it to see what was in it.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Did she know what had been added to the bill? did anybody?

i agree he filed to strip out this provision, however, i'm not sure that it was her amendment.

The Monsanto Protection Act? Only in America | InvestorPlace

on an unrelated note ... it's interesting how you can't find this topic covered on foxnews, cnn, or msnbc right now, but you can find it on the russian state-sponsored news.
Because this was a bipartisan bill with no debate or finger pointing or fear mongering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies