Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times

Advertisements

The same exact way you prove you're straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I mean, let's say that you work for a business or a government agency that covers same sex partners with health benefits.

You have a friend who isn't covered.

How do you prove that you're gay?

What should the penalty be for lying?

Please stay on topic....I know that there are some heterosexual people who have marriages of convenience....my question is how would you prove that you're gay?

A lot of employers offer a variety of non-married benefits. You can be "same sex" or unmaried domestic partners, etc.

Generally there are rules (must live in the same house, sometimes a period of time). The person paying the bills gets to decide these rules. They do this to attract employees.

Also - quite frankly - you could commit the same "fraud" by getting married by a judge but not really "married".

Since most of these claims are paid by your employer (In the united states), it is up to your employer to decide how they regulate/allow these things.

The ultimate penalty is normaly - being fired. Insurance fraud may be possible. . .depending on state.

Yet, I don't think your risks/concerns are very high for this kind of thing. If an employer covers same sex and domestic partners . .as long as you are living in the same house and sign a piece of paper I think the employer is like "sure why not".

Ultimately this is up to the employer and the insurance company. It is my experience these benefits are given to employees to make them want to work for the company. As such, no juice to punish employees if they give their family slot to someone dubious.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM

203 posts, read 517,127 times
Well where I work (in Texas) the HR department knows I am gay because I have talked about my partner (of 4 years) with them, I have brought up gay issues, I have added him to my policy on my life insurance and I wear a ring (symbolically of course).

Sooooo, aside from the fact that I haven't tongue lashed him in front of them I guess they just have to take my word for it. Luckily for me though I am able to get a few of the same benefits as my straight coworkers. He can't be added to my insurance, which would be insanely expensive anyway, but I can take off sick time for him if he is sick. They are nice for being a place in Texas.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times
One of the reasons why I moved over from being an independent to a liberal is due to the OP. The pure amount of idiocy that spews from his mouth is overwhelming.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
One of the reasons why I moved over from being an independent to a liberal is due to the OP. The pure amount of idiocy that spews from his mouth is overwhelming.
I'm glad to help a squishy "independent" move on!

But that doesn't answer the question.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
The same exact way you prove you're straight.
Hetero is the norm.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Absurd question. Geez.
Well?

How do you?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:31 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Does OP think I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry is a documentary?
thank you for my lol moment of the day...

Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The penalty for lying of course would be termination. Other then that it would just be trust. I can not even recall any job I ever had asking for proof that I was married when I added my spouse to benefits.
They always asked for my wife's SS#, picture ID, work place, maiden name, etc.

They want proof that there is no fraud going on.

I believe that jail time for fraudulent information would be the case.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 PM

334 posts, read 450,867 times
In most cases, they need to sign a document stating they are a couple and would wed if marriage was legal, among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies