Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,962,618 times

Advertisements

If this election came with any message, it would be, this country is changing.
For all our 236 years,(with the exception of the last four)we have relied on,and based all our hopes on the fact that white politicians would guide us through.
Over the centuries, regardless of population demographics, the white man politician ruled.
Oppressed minority groups stood silent for way to many years.
Finally a ray of hope emerged for these downtrodden minorities, and when the civil rights bill of 1964 passed, it signaled a new dawn for minorities.

A dawn where they would be heard.
A dawn where they would organize.
A dawn where they would no longer allow themselves to be forced into the background.
This was the dawn for, and by the black population.
Sadly they have not engineered their goals, or causes to their full potential.
Many are still waiting in the shadows, not knowing how to proceed.
Their biggest accomplishment, beyond any doubt, was seeing one of their own elevate to the most powerful person on the planet.
From that point on, minority groups realized their is hope for all of us.
The struggle of the blacks in this country did not go un- noticed by other minorities.
As the Hispanic population grew, their concerns were very similar to that of the blacks.
They too found themselves on the lower rung of the ladder, with not much hope of gaining ground.
All the while, the white man politician stood firm, and bowed to no one.
Though the writing was on the wall, the white population failed to see it.
Yesterday's election showed that there has been a more than drastic change in demographics in this country.
It will not take a rocket scientist to see what portion of those demographics will soon be in the majority in this country, and here in lies an enormous problem.
Many who make up this increasing Hispanic demographic, are for the most part not even close to the level of the people they are rapidly replacing.
I speak in terms of education alone.
Don't get me wrong, many, Hispanics are educated, and few have elevated to important segments of society.
The flip side of the equation is the reality that most of the Hispanic community have a minimal education.
To succeed in this world, they will need to educate themselves, and quickly, if they expect to compete on a global scale.
They, like the blacks will need to seek out any, and all opportunities if they are to succeed.
In a few short years they will be the majority population in this country.
For most, if not all, they will need to create an atmosphere of learning, and progression within if they expect to succeed.
They will ascend to political power in the future, and will need a strong education background to be able to govern.
If I could give any advice to the Hispanic population on this very day, it would be to do everything in your power to educate yourself, and your children, because the complacent ways of the old will just not carry you successfully into the future.
We whites have had a long run.
Sometimes successful, sometimes not, but we were there, and we never quit.
The time is soon at hand when the old majority must relinquish to the new majority,and that time is just around the corner.
New ideas brought forth by years of heritage, will take a firm hold of this country, and we as citizens must embrace these ideas if we are to survive in this complex world.
If this election has taught me anything it is that our country is changing, and those that for one reason or another do not want to accept this fact, they will sadly be left behind, wondering what happened.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,754,711 times
I think the Irish provide a very good model for the hispanics, in particular. They arrived with nothing, for the most part, and had many of the same issue (poverty, crime, squalor) though they did usually speak the language. Irish-Americans emerged as one of the more educated minorities, and now are mainstream Americans. It takes 2-3 generations, I think, but it can be done, with education, self confidence, and hard work.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:11 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,798,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think the Irish provide a very good model for the hispanics, in particular. They arrived with nothing, for the most part, and had many of the same issue (poverty, crime, squalor) though they did usually speak the language. Irish-Americans emerged as one of the more educated minorities, and now are mainstream Americans. It takes 2-3 generations, I think, but it can be done, with education, self confidence, and hard work.
I hope so, but the Irish had a desire to assimilate, not expect "press one for Irish."

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,928,524 times
Our country has been changing ever since we became a nation!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM

281 posts, read 426,064 times
Not like it is now.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I hope so, but the Irish had a desire to assimilate, not expect "press one for Irish."
A big part of assimilating into a new homeland is always Pressing one for your own. Immigrants have to push their way into our society to get ahead by any and all means possible.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,447 times
You forgot to put "evil" in front of "white man", or is that implied?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Most of the Irish came here legally also.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
I'm still waiting for the day when we are all referred to as "Americans" and not "Mexican-American" "African-Americans" etc...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm still waiting for the day when we are all referred to as "Americans" and not "Mexican-American" "African-Americans" etc...
How about expanding that a little?

I look forward to when we're all fellow Earthlings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies