Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
So you're saying you wish to legislate the capacity to fire 15 rounds per minute, am I right?
Magazine capacity and rounds per minute are completely different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
So you're saying you wish to legislate the capacity to fire 15 rounds per minute, am I right?
I'll let the gun experts figure that out. I was just answering your question on what does an assault gun mean in practical terms, and to me, as a lay person, it means a gun that allows you to rapidly shoot 155 bullets in less than 5 minutes.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Magazine capacity and rounds per minute are completely different things.
I know they are but there are a few main properties that I see that are practical when talking about the gun.

They are:

Range
Accuracy
Rate of fire
Ammunition type

In practical terms, a high reload time affects the rate of fire.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'll let the gun experts figure that out. I was just answering your question on what does an assault gun mean in practical terms, and to me, as a lay person, it means a gun that allows you to rapidly shoot 155 bullets in less than 5 minutes.
My bad then, you wish to regulate the ability to fire 30 rounds per minute then?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
My bad then, you wish to regulate the ability to fire 30 rounds per minute then?
Well does that seem reasonable to you? I think the gun-owners on this thread should be telling us more about what differentiates weapons developed for military use from those developed for civilians.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Well does that seem reasonable to you? I think the gun-owners on this thread should be telling us more about what differentiates weapons developed for military use from those developed for civilians.
Absolutely. In a world of high-fire-rate guns, I would not want people defending their home be defending themselves with a slow gun.

Furthermore, since it is you who wishes to take away the ability of certain gun owners to have certain guns, it is you who should be telling them why it's not right for them to have that gun.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. In a world of high-fire-rate guns, I would not want people defending their home be defending themselves with a slow gun.

Furthermore, since it is you who wishes to take away the ability of certain gun owners to have certain guns, it is you who should be telling them why it's not right for them to have that gun.
I don't have a strong personal opinion on type of guns that should or shouldn't be restricted. Most firearm homicide is with hand guns.

I'm more interested in universal background checks, preventing illegal trafficking and straw purchases, safe storage of guns, preventing guns from falling into the hands of children, and protecting victims of domestic violence from firearm violence.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
By practical terms I mean the properties that matter:

Range
Accuracy
Rate of fire
Ammunition type

...There are a few definitions of the assault weapons as it relates to laws, but what does it translate to in useful terms?
If it's rate of fire, this assault revolver is it...

World Record 12 Shots In Under 3 Seconds - YouTube

Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
So there is no category of guns that is commonly considered an assault gun?
The term "assault rifle" was initially made up by Adolf Hitler for propaganda purposes. So, our current leftists who like to use it for the exact same purpose are certainly in good company.

Quote:
The name was chosen personally by Adolf Hitler for propaganda reasons and literally means "storm rifle" as in "to storm (i.e. "assault") an enemy position". After the adoption of the StG 44, the English translation "assault rifle" became the accepted designation for this type of infantry small arm.

StG 44 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
"Lanza fired the 154 rounds from a Bushmaster .223-model rifle and the final bullet from a Glock 10mm handgun to take his own life, said Stephen Sedensky, the chief prosecutor investigating the shooting. Police recovered 10 30-round magazines for the Bushmaster that Lanza took to the school. Three of the magazines had a full 30 rounds still in them."

So is the Bushmaster the type of assault weapon that was previously banned under Clinton?

Investigators: Adam Lanza surrounded by weapons at home; attack took less than 5 minutes - Open Channel
CT currenty has an assault weapons ban which mirrors the previous 1994 ban. Under the ban this gun is not an assault weapon:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies