Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM

62,955 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Do you really believe he was referring to lawbreakers? I don't. That is a slur often used to describe all Mexicans. It's origins might have been to describe illegal aliens, but it was later used on Mexicans at large.
Re-read what he said then. He wasn't referring to Hispanics/Mexicans that are either citizens of this country or here illegally. That word may be used by some to refer to the latter but the majority don't talk that way. What about those who call whites rednecks, etc. Come on, we have all been victims of slur words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,127,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Re-read what he said then. He wasn't referring to Hispanics/Mexicans that are either citizens of this country or here illegally. That word may be used by some to refer to the latter but the majority don't talk that way. What about those who call whites rednecks, etc. Come on, we have all been victims of slur words.
Any racial slur is a racial slur and it is never ok. I dont understand how anyone can defend something like that.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Any racial slur is a racial slur and it is never ok. I dont understand how anyone can defend something like that.
Do you even realize that Cesar Chavez president of the UFW used the term?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you even realize that Cesar Chavez president of the UFW used the term?
Even if he did, it is not ok in this day and age to use it. How many politicians used the n-word back in the day? Does that make it ok?

It is not ok to use racial slurs under any circumstances. (From people of any race)

Old 03-30-2013, 09:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is a law in the halls of congress with that very name on it.
President Eisenhower signed it into law.
It worked
Not much has changed. Eisenhower was a republican. Republicans are still living in the past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_*******

Quote:
The effort began in California and Arizona in 1954 and coordinated 1,075 Border Patrol agents, along with state and local police agencies. Tactics employed included going house to house in Mexican-American neighborhoods and citizenship checks during standard traffic stops.
Nope, not much has changed. Police don't go house to house, but they pick out houses to go to selectively, and are sometimes incorrect.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Even if he did, it is not ok in this day and age to use it. How many politicians used the n-word back in the day? Does that make it ok?

It is not ok to use racial slurs under any circumstances. (From people of any race)
Do you realize that "hispanic" is not a race in the first place? Nor are illegals. Besides the liberals are very two-faced about racial terms. "Redneck", "anglo", even "white-trash", and plenty of anti-white hatred terms are used and you won't see a single liberal object.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Do you realize that "hispanic" is not a race in the first place? Nor are illegals. Besides the liberals are very two-faced about racial terms. "Redneck", "anglo", even "white-trash", and plenty of anti-white hatred terms are used and you won't see a single liberal object.
I don't use those terms and many people do not use them. So let me get this straight, which racial or ethnic slurs are ok? Or because people use them against one race is ok to use them against another?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM

62,955 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Not much has changed. Eisenhower was a republican. Republicans are still living in the past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_*******

Nope, not much has changed. Police don't go house to house, but they pick out houses to go to selectively, and are sometimes incorrect.
I am sure during the investigation of any crime there are suspects that are questioned that didn't commit the crime. Your point is? How are LE to do their jobs and seek out criminals if they don't question people under lawful contact? Gee, "sometimes" incorrect. Oh, the horror! Are those wrongly questioned traumatized for life? If you are innocent why fear questioning?

There was a dead guy laying on a curb in a neighborhood I was passing through once. The cops stopped me and questioned me. I didn't need to see a shrink afterwards and I was happy to assist them with their investigation.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL. My friends call me "wetbak" too. But we don't distinguish any particular nationality as such. It generally refers to the way that my friends and I refer to foreigners. We call the new pope a "wetbak" because he's from argentina.
Well, Manny was a great guy. We shared an apartment in Pacific Beach till I met my wife (who worked in a Photomat booth around the corner) and I moved in with her at Windansea. We were married only a couple of months later, and we are still married today (over 42 years now).

Manny was a fun guy. I have fond memories. He died much too young. I still have photos of him that I took, and they are reminders of my hippie days on the beach.

Manny had a lot of friends. Everyone loved him. He was just a neat guy. Period.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 03-30-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Wow, just wow. Hellooo racism.
No. Racism is your problem. We were friends. Many was loved by all who knew him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies