Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
But were all 9 dogs together and those 2 just decided not to join in? Or were they in a separate area?
The article wants you to believe that two dogs just sat there and watched on the sideline. Somehow, I very seriously doubt that's what happened.
I don't know.

But I'm seriously inquiring about the triggers that might have provoked an attack. The neighbor who lives behind me has a boxer/pitbull mix. He doesn't have a fenced in yard, though my backyard is fenced in, so he installed invisible fencing (partly attaching it to my fence). His dog became very aggressive, and every time I went out in my backyard the dog attacked the fence, even though it was getting shocked, and wouldn't stop barking and behaving aggressively. The dog had two incidents when it ran out of the yard and went after people walking by. He had to take the dog to a training center, to try to deal with its aggression issues. This past year, he brought the dog back, and the dog was much improved at first, but it's been becoming more aggressive, I think because of the invisible fencing. Recently the dog escaped from the yard again one morning when I was walking my dog. I immediately retreated with my dog into the house. That evening when I came home from work, I noticed the dog was now chained. And since it's been chained, it's begun barking hysterically at every passerby.

So, I am concerned about what might trigger this dog, and any behaviors I should avoid.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 PM

602 posts, read 574,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't know.

But I'm seriously inquiring about the triggers that might have provoked an attack. The neighbor who lives behind me has a boxer/pitbull mix. He doesn't have a fenced in yard, though my backyard is fenced in, so he installed invisible fencing (partly attaching it to my fence). His dog became very aggressive, and every time I went out in my backyard the dog attacked the fence, even though it was getting shocked, and wouldn't stop barking and behaving aggressively. The dog had two incidents when it ran out of the yard and went after people walking by. He had to take the dog to a training center, to try to deal with its aggression issues. This past year, he brought the dog back, and the dog was much improved at first, but it's been becoming more aggressive, I think because of the invisible fencing. Recently the dog escaped from the yard again one morning when I was walking my dog. I immediately retreated with my dog into the house. That evening when I came home from work, I noticed the dog was now chained. And since it's been chained, it's begun barking hysterically at every passerby.

So, I am concerned about what might trigger this dog, and any behaviors I should avoid.
I know, I just asked a question to add to the discussion.

I have my doubts that ANY dog (no matter what kind) would abstain from the pack if the rest of the pack started attacking something.

My (uneducated) guess would be (for your situation, at least) that the dog senses some hesitation from you? They do act different depending on how the human acts. I have a friend that has a pretty sketchy pit but I have been around them before and just went right up and petted it, spoke firmly, ignored it when I wanted, etc and it is fine. But if someone acts scared or hesitant around the same dog, it will make a big "fuss"

It also seems like your neighbor maybe doesn't get the dog enough exercise? Do you see them playing, walking, etc ever? They have lots of energy and it needs to be put to good use.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM

255 posts, read 219,476 times
Quote:
I don't know.

If I was in that position I would be cognizant not only of what I do that might trigger the dog into aggression, but also what behaviors of the dog that would cause me to pull the trigger. Some breeds are more aggressive by nature due to the roles for which they were bred. People don't always know that all dogs cannot be trained the same way. let us also consider the fact that 9 dogs at 1 house is excessive unless there is ample room for the dogs to run around. Dogs kept in a confined space become aggressive. Though this was a tragic accident, I also am inclined to agree that the blame should be placed on the mother for not watching her child. How can an 18 month old child wander into that situation if they're being properly supervised by a parent or some other Guardian.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, dogs do bite. Blaming a dog for biting is akin to blaming people for breathing. On the other hand, a good dog owner makes sure that their dog is not put into a situation where it feels either the need or the urge to bite. Idiots, on the other hand, think that Pit Bulls are more inclined to bite than other breeds, when that is far from the truth. Pit Bull attacks make great headlines, though, just like Rottweiler, Doberman, and German Shepherd attacks made great headlines back in the 70s and 80s.
2012 U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities - Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I know, I just asked a question to add to the discussion.

I have my doubts that ANY dog (no matter what kind) would abstain from the pack if the rest of the pack started attacking something.

My (uneducated) guess would be (for your situation, at least) that the dog senses some hesitation from you? They do act different depending on how the human acts. I have a friend that has a pretty sketchy pit but I have been around them before and just went right up and petted it, spoke firmly, ignored it when I wanted, etc and it is fine. But if someone acts scared or hesitant around the same dog, it will make a big "fuss"

It also seems like your neighbor maybe doesn't get the dog enough exercise? Do you see them playing, walking, etc ever? They have lots of energy and it needs to be put to good use.
Originally, there was no fear or hesitation on my part towards this dog. I truly believe that the dog initially approached the fence when I was outside to be friendly, but since it's owner wired the fence and the dog received a shock, that the dog thought I was the one inflicting pain. And the more it attacked the fence, the more pain I inflicted. So I don't think the dog associates me with hesitation or fear, it associates me with pain. And since it has a history of biting folks, I now would never walk right up to it. None of the people living in my neighborhood would. The dog is extremely aggressive.

I've seen the owner playing with the dog, but only briefly, more in passing on his way in or out. He's never taken the dog for a walk. The dog did roam the yard before being chained, but now cannot do that.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 PM

602 posts, read 574,142 times
Quote:
Originally, there was no fear or hesitation on my part towards this dog. I truly believe that the dog initially approached the fence when I was outside to be friendly, but since it's owner wired the fence and the dog received a shock, that the dog thought I was the one inflicting pain. And the more it attacked the fence, the more pain I inflicted. So I don't think the dog associates me with hesitation or fear, it associates me with pain. And since it has a history of biting folks, I now would never walk right up to it. None of the people living in my neighborhood would. The dog is extremely aggressive.

I've seen the owner playing with the dog, but only briefly, more in passing on his way in or out. He's never taken the dog for a walk. The dog did roam the yard before being chained, but now cannot do that.

Frankly I would say that's someone that really shouldn't own a pit to be honest. They can be great dogs but it takes a good upbringing and most people that get them do not know how to handle them.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Looks like dogs need to be banned. Or a tax on dog food is in order. Get to work liberals. Save the children.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
4 generations and 9 dogs lived in the home. The toddler went outside via a doggy door. The child's mother and grandmother and at least one other family member was home at the time.

No reason to have 9 toy poodles, let alone animals known to go off on humans.

Hope all are brought up on charges of neglect, if not more.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM

157 posts, read 102,851 times
No pictures of dogs.So no possible way ANYONE here knows it was a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix. I love Pits and they are great dogs...its bad owners that make these dogs go bad..

Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
You can post all the links to statistics you want, but unless every dog that bit a person was DNA tested to ascertain their breed, every statistic is questionable. The vast majority of people who fear Pit Bulls wouldn't know a Pit if it walked up and licked their hand.

Here's a link from the ASPCA that you may be interested in reading, as it gives some valuable insights into not only the history, but the temperament of the breed(s) known as Pit Bulls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies