U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM

22,363 posts, read 13,081,583 times

Advertisements

Sure we got our guy in the White House, but did you ever expect this plethora of absolute steaming dung to go along with it?

This Gay Marriage thing has got to be the biggest waste of our time in the 200+ year history of the country.

Really, a complete non-issue like this that means absolutely NOTHING to 99% of the population is completely gridlocking the government when we have so many more important issues to deal with.

We cannot even get a basic gun restriction passed, but here they are ready to give the Gays the right to marry.

We cannot even discuss a budget but we can waste millions of taxpayer dollars discussing this ridiculous issue.

Let's just break the country up already. Let some of us have somewhere to call home that resembles remotely the US I grew up in.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM

23,640 posts, read 12,063,738 times
Treating all American citizens equally under the law SHOULD matter to every American.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,200,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Sure we got our guy in the White House, but did you ever expect this plethora of absolute steaming dung to go along with it?

This Gay Marriage thing has got to be the biggest waste of our time in the 200+ year history of the country.

Really, a complete non-issue like this that means absolutely NOTHING to 99% of the population is completely gridlocking the government when we have so many more important issues to deal with.

We cannot even get a basic gun restriction passed, but here they are ready to give the Gays the right to marry.

We cannot even discuss a budget but we can waste millions of taxpayer dollars discussing this ridiculous issue.

Let's just break the country up already. Let some of us have somewhere to call home that resembles remotely the US I grew up in.
If it takes this long to get something as necessary and as simple as two consenting adults the freedom to be married legally, do you really believe you're going to get the country split in two anytime soon? Nope.

Was it worth it? For what? To see that many people in this country get the same rights and privileges that the majority do? Yes. Freedom is always "worth it"

Old 03-29-2013, 04:41 PM

11,521 posts, read 12,728,036 times
Holy Cow! A PullMyFinger post I can somewhat agree with.

Let's face it, both parties are sticking it up our backsides while laughing their asses off.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,305,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Treating all American citizens equally under the law SHOULD matter to every American.
Yeah, too bad the feds getting involved in marriage aint gonna do that.

If you wanted everyone to be treated equal you would get governments out of the marriage business.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM

5,563 posts, read 3,859,467 times
And it matters to me.

In fact, I consider it a highlight of the Obama years. (Not that he gets a whole lot of credit, but it wouldn't have happened under ANY Republican.)

I'm a straight female Progressive. It's as important to me as women's rights legislation or health care, because it speaks to me of a country moving forward in an enlightened way.

And the number of people I know all by myself, to whom it also matters a great deal, are more than 1% of the population -- most of them straight!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:45 PM

12,795 posts, read 7,056,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Which is kind of the OP's point, I think. We are wasting so much time on issues that should be a given. I don't think anyone on the left anticipated the absolute and ongoing obstruction that the GOP has engaged in as they pout about not gaining the White House. They have wasted the whole country's time on stupid things like this, when there are so many other things they should be giving their attention to.

Was it worth it? Well, it kept Palin and Romney out of the White House, so yeah, all things considered, I'd say it was.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM

4,818 posts, read 9,979,798 times
In short answer yes....

Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM

40,993 posts, read 22,596,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Exactly! How many years did it take for them to submit a budget? They had to be threatened with not getting paid to get it done and when they did all it contained was raising taxes and increase in spending on green energy. I know Obama's budget is overdue. When will he submit one???

Hey we all want cleaner energy but before you start investing in it, especially when so many of Obama's green energy investments failed (companies now bankrupt) ... before investing in this create a more business friendly climate where there are more people working and then it becomes a employees market which results in employers being forced to raise wages to attract and keep employees, resulting in people spending more money, resulting on increased employment ....

Obama and the Dems got this all ass backwards.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM

22,363 posts, read 13,081,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yeah, too bad the feds getting involved in marriage aint gonna do that.

If you wanted everyone to be treated equal you would get governments out of the marriage business.
This I agree with. Why are they the ones to decide who can marry? What is the point of marriage unless you are a religious person?

Just drop all the tax benefits for being married and let people get married for the right reasons in the eyes of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.