Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 06:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's simple. Redefinintion of words in the context of politics is a very bad idea. "Marriage" is an English word that has had a pretty clear definition for a long time. Now we've got a political interest group that wants to alter the definition.

The scary thing to me about the newspeak strategem is how effective it is. Consider the term "assault weapon," which was never used by firearms makers, but was coined by gun control advocates. Since it entered the lexicon, Americans have mostly supported banning them in polling, although doubtless few could define what it meant. Likewise with "partial birth abortion" on the right side of the aisle. It was a term never used by abortion providers, but coined by pro-life advocates. And likewise, poll data shows more often than not that Americans support a ban, even though most could not define it.

I am old enough to recall how the Nixon admin was famous for the use of newspeak. When caught in BS, they backtracked by terming said BS as "inoperative." The Obama admin is equally skilled at this game. Blowing billions of taxpayer dollars to line the pockets of cronies is termed "economic stimulus" and the MSM buys it hook, line, & sinker.

If lefties and gay activists wanted to call it "civil unions," I would be on board in a heartbeat, as I think would 99 percent of Americans, even evangelicals. But that's not enough; the left insists that they must have the power to redefine a word. That makes me nervous.
The word "Republican" has been redefined in recent years, and not in a good way.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:10 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
Why do you guys have such a problem with two people standing up and pledging their devotion to and love for each other and calling it marriage?
God defined marriage as one man and one woman. Be fruitful and multiply.

Gays are defined gays because they have sex with the same sex. It is a sexual act that defines them. A man can love a man and a woman can love a woman but when they have sex it is a perversion against God and nature.

The gays want to redefine acceptable sex. That is the core of the gay movement.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

I kinda get what you are saying. I don't care if they get married at all, but for some reason the re-definition does bother me.
Perhaps because you get inundated by right-wing conservative propaganda telling you it's a 'redefinition' instead of an issue of equality?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
How juvenile is your comment...I didn't mention anything about a church ceremony in my post.

All licenses to marry come from the state.

Civil unions are performed at courthouses.

So big fail on you. n'ya n'ya n'ya - razzberries :P
Pure irony

Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
God defined marriage as one man and one woman. Be fruitful and multiply.

Gays are defined gays because they have sex with the same sex. It is a sexual act that defines them. A man can love a man and a woman can love a woman but when they have sex it is a perversion against God and nature.

The gays want to redefine acceptable sex. That is the core of the gay movement.
According to your narrow religion-based beliefs. The important question to ask is by what right you or anyone else have, in the eyes of the law, to force your religious beliefs on anyone. The answer is NONE.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT3 View Post
Sodomy is a perversion. It's just logical. If the desire of a man for a woman and the desire of a woman for a man is natural/normal, then the desire of a man for a man or a woman for a woman is unnatural/a perversion. We would say God has given them a base mind and an unnatural desire. The point is don't listen to them. They want equality. They want the license. They want the social status. They say they are born that way. Guess what. They are. So are their supporters. By that I mean God has given them the intelligence to think they are doing the right thing. But make no mistake about it. It is an abomination.
Speaking of 'base minds' ^^^

What's with your obsession about sodomy and sex? A marriage is about far more than just sex. At least it is for most people.

However lets look at your obsession with "sodomy" anyway...

According to the National Survey of Family Growth on the CDC website:

44% of heterosexual men and 36% of heterosexual women engage in anal sex.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf

Only about 60% of gay men engage in anal sex.

In pure numbers, that's a heck of a lot more heterosexuals having anal sex than gay men - given that gay men are only a tiny percentage of the population.

Imagine a football stadium with 100,000 men.

If gay men are about 3% of the population:

About 97,000 would be heterosexual men and 3000 would be gay men.

44% of 97000 = 42,680 (heterosexual men who have anal sex with women).

60% of 3000 = 1800 (gay men who have anal sex with men)

42,680 heterosexual men versus 1800 homosexual who have anal sex.

You do the math...

Why aren't you harrassing heterosexuals?

The ratio of heterosexual men who have anal sex versus gay men who have anal sex is more than 23 to 1.

(And "sodomy" also includes oral sex. The stats for heterosexuals having oral sex are over 90%.)

Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's simple. Redefinintion of words in the context of politics is a very bad idea. "Marriage" is an English word that has had a pretty clear definition for a long time. Now we've got a political interest group that wants to alter the definition.
So really you're a kind of linguistics purist?

I can think of other words whose meaning has changed or evolved over the years. Where are your threads bemoaning those changes?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Your god doesn't care what some people do in their bedrooms. Get over it.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Heterosexuals have civil unions all the time. A civil union is performed by a judge at a courthouse.
My parents were married by a judge at a courthouse. They have a marriage license to prove it.

Its NOT a "civil union".

Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,261,146 times
It doesn't matter, in the end, what same-sex marriage opponents say, because it ALREADY EXISTS (without any problems) in several other countries and in nine states. Get over yourselves and accept the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies