Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 06:47 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times

Advertisements

Maybe the Black congressional caucus should do something....

Oh, they won't because of who is in the WH, now if it were slick willy....

Cleaver: If Obama wasn't president, we would be

Quote:
“probably would be marching on the White House” if Obama were not president, according to CBC Chairman Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.).

"If [former President] Bill Clinton had been in the White House and had failed to address this problem, we probably would be marching on the White House," Cleaver told “The Miami Herald” in comments published Sunday. "There is a less-volatile reaction in the CBC because nobody wants to do anything that would empower the people who hate the president."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting perspective. My guess is that HBCU's are not respected. It doesn't surprise me. Throughout this nation's history, Blacks have been overlooked and not accepted, and this has happened in America's history.

Someone also mentioned that the low number of Black-owned businesses is another factor. There has been a growth of Black-owned businesses. That being said, more are needed. It is a combination of things. It isn't just one issue or another. Some say it's lack of education. Some say it's lack of Black-owned businesses. Some say it is entrenched racial discrimination in the job force. I look at it like this. Lacking education doesn't help. But for Blacks with college degrees, unemployment rates are still high compared to college graduates of other races and ethnicities. Discrimination is a part of it. There needs to be more businesses started as well.
There are only a handful of HBCUs I would recommend young people go to Howard, Spellman or Morehouse outside of those schools it becomes dicey. A lot of HBCUs simply admit too many students who really aren't college material.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,679 times
i had this crazy idea that when obama became president, it would inspire blacks and latinos to want to do better. thinking obama could inspire somehow. imagine a place where the blacks and latinos would stop killing each other, lend a hand to each other and rise up. but, obama has done nothing but cause hatred toward the rich, which basically means the white man.
Maybe one day.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:22 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,781,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It must be something within the culture that's keeping black males from steady employment. People can use the institutional racism excuse only for so long. There are many immigrants in this country who cannot even speak English and yet they do not have the high unemployment numbers that American blacks have had for so long.
They're also not American, don't care for American culture, don't pay many taxes and usually stack up like bugs in a small apartment to get by. When you want that from born Americans and you have a history of racism and oppression you're not making much sense.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
What in Gods name does that have to do with today? I think there may be a lack of ambition to learn at all. It is more fun to act cool and stand on the street corner and sling drugs.
You ran around the point like Adrian Peterson good job.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
They also hire their own AND whites do not have as much animosity towards them as they do blacks.
In other words Asians are completely under the table. They're not watched and are able to do whatever they want. The only time unheard about Asian issues was at a college in Cali where whites were complaining that Asians got special treatment.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
I think you've made some really good points, but even if the vast majority of black people don't think making good grades is "acting white" that doesn't mean those who do feel that way don't exist somewhere. We're talking about ~15% of black people who are unemployed and it might be that a significant part of that ~15% do suffer from those sorts of insecurities. I have dealt with several inner city kids who were bullied for wanting to learn because other kids from their neighborhood accused them of "acting white." I certainly don't think they constitute a majority of black people, but every child's future is precious and even if only 0.01% of black children in the world felt this way, I would still want us to rally to help them build up their self-esteem.

The best way I knew how to deal with the situation was to try supplementing some of their readings with African history about many of the Royal Families from various countries in Africa and other great civilizations which predated many European successes to encourage them to realize that they do come from a proud lineage of thinkers and doers. I doubt that little push helped them overcome all their insecurities about becoming successful black men and women, but they did start taking a more active interest in reading history once they had some historical heroes to look up to who weren't European... I know a lot of people like to act as though education is "colorblind" but children certainly aren't and I think if teachers edited their learning material to better engage the diversity of their classrooms it could make a significant difference.

Even so, I don't think this is a permanent solution and there are many areas of society which could stand to become a little more inviting and supportive. Equal doesn't necessarily mean the same and we should embrace the diversity of our nation as much as possible to make it more user friendly to everyone. Even if it is a tiny, seemingly insignificant percent.

I think it should be framed as "acting green" ($$$). Where's the money in functional illiteracy?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Man, I am not reading all of that nonsense. Look, this is a thread about black unemployment rates, not your delusions about why black people are wrong for not supporting the racist conservative party.
Part of all that "nonsense" included ... "Will you even entertain these ideas? Probably not. Why? Because you have been so well trained ..."

The rest of that "nonsense" is EQUALLY ACCURATE.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
And he's right and no Obama isn't the blame, Obama doesn't look over every companies hiring praticies, blaming Obama is beyond stupid to be honest.

It's still easy to deny someone opportunity based on race, I work at a fortune 500 company and the only reason I got hired is because I'm friends with the HR manager.

It happens quite often, living in Miami alot of people bring in their friends and family.

And yes blacks have a very negative image and I'm sure that's half the reason. Black women are SOARING educationally compared to before.

Half is discrimination which is still rampant, other half maybe lack of ambition.

Nice try but if you're black living in America, denying racism is beyond stupid... Not even the biggest internet troll can convince me otherwise.
If you look at unemployment rates by educational level and other societal factors you would be able to identify how much of the problem is continued racism vs. residual racism relating to growing up in poverty, broken homes etc. and their proven impact on peoples educational and career acheivments.

I mean just look around at all the inner city schools with 40% graduation rates and tell me what type of employment opportunities those youths will have in this era of outsourced manufacturing?

You even touch on the disparity in education and professional achievment between the males and females. That points to problems in job type availability as well as social issues outside of racism.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:30 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are not a racist,but your defense of your stances seems to be based alot on opinions (the entire Obama care point) and on the past being present ( gun control and Abortion).
Educated opinion, based on past experiences is the foundation of logic and learning. Wisdom is the ability to understand the past, and apply it's lessons for better future outcomes.

Quote:
Both sides of the argument have studies to agree with their points,we can only go buy what has actually happened, and What has happened is Healthcare services has had a steady growth in job creation.
Opposing sides cannot both be correct, and when that situation presents itself, you have a decision to make. Which one makes the most sense ... do decades of practical, measurable experience simply become irrelevant based on a new "study" supporting a new conclusion? I don't think so. This basic theme is recounted in that old quote "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"-George Santayana.

As for healthcare experiencing steady job growth .. there is a significant number of not so advantageous points to that, which sadly illustrate the disconnect with sound logic that seems to be affecting more people than ever before. Would you also consider steady job growth in disaster recovery a good sign? Steady growth in the mortuary business a cause for celebration? The truth is, we have seen a decline in the health of the general public ... infant mortality rates in the United States are actually increasing ... all the while we see the standards of healthcare decline as measured on a global scale of developed countries, as well as experiencing extraordinary increases in costs which have far exceeded the year to year inflation rates. I've got news for you .... none of that is news to celebrate.

Quote:
As for gun control and abortion both having racial past, It is not 1952 anymore. That same basis could be applied to government employment,military service,College financial aid,Public Housing an so on.
And your point is what? That the past no longer offers useful lessons? That massive increases in government jobs are a good thing? That increased military activity is a cause for joy? What is your point here? Wow, things are looking up because we now have three wars, and 50 Million people on food stamps? Jesus Christ man, think, because right now, you aren't doing that. You sound like a crazy person.

Quote:
You would not tell some one not to use those services because they started as racial discriminatory services, so why do it for Abortion and Gun control.
That was not the point .. the point was very simple .... the very programs and policies that are the foundation of liberal ideology for which black people support in almost universal consensus, came into existence as a weapon to be used against black people .... and that has not changed. These things are still counter to your best interests. That's the point!

Quote:
There are not abortion clinics in rich neighborhoods simply because rich people either use private doctors or have the money to take care of an unwanted child, something not afforded to poor people.
If your ideas had more validity than mine, you'd see an equal effort to construct job training centers, trade schools and remedial education facilities in the poor, inner city communities. But you don't see such efforts made to raise economic conditions which would be far more beneficial than making sure each of these communities had easy access to human disposal centers, do you? No, you don't.

Besides which, there is a degraded and disastrous level of inhumanity present in the mindset demonstrated by the very insinuation that the value of children can be measured on a scale of economic convenience. It's a very disturbing way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies