Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:24 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times

Advertisements

Both Conservatives and Liberals alike agree that our government is deeply in the dysfunctional phase. Is it even possible to reform the beast or is it simply too late?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
As much as I want it to change, I doubt it ever will. I really think our best days are behind us.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
No, the empire is going to collapse, as have all others before it.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
As much as I want it to change, I doubt it ever will. I really think our best days are behind us.
I hate to agree but I think it's true. The country is headed over the cliff and all I see people doing is bickering about partisan politics.

Here's a quote posted on another message board by one of my close friends on the topic of reform:

Quote:
Before 'The Man' guns you down for having the audacity to demand your inalienable rights he'll probably turn to "non-lethal" weapons like LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) for suppression. If that doesn’t back you down then they'll use harsher electromagnetic/psychotronic weapons that'll scramble your brain waves and leave you praying for death. Believe me folks, this stuff is EXTREMELY nasty and it all exists.

LRAD - Long Range Acoustic Hailing Devices - YouTube

Electromagnetic weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Both Conservatives and Liberals alike agree that our government is deeply in the dysfunctional phase. Is it even possible to reform the beast or is it simply too late?
I remember when congress asked how many US federal regulations involved criminal punishments, they were told that it was impossible to determine.

Our federal government has gotten so big, no one knows which departments are doing what anymore. We have hundreds of billions of dollars in waste, from programs and functions overlapping between departments and agencies. The GAO came out with a report in 2011, listing about $200 billion in annual saving we could make, if we just consolidated.

We need to start looking at this dysfunctional monster we have created, and putting it on a diet. Our bloated government is analogous to Imelda Marcos' shoe collection.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
What we have is like a family spending on credit card then not liking the result whe the bill comes.Reform what to is the quewstion because we have clear chocie to reform.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Stand or Fall

We're in a strange Twilight Zone where if the government decreases spending it throws the country in to recession but if it doesn't we'll go bankrupt.

When you look in to your children's faces what do you think of the legacy we leave behind? Makes me think of this song from back in the 80's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNPMjsM_Yo

Quote:
Crying parents tell their children
"If you survive, don't do as we did"

Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Yes it is just about inform the thing that needs the most reform The House.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Is it even possible to reform the US government now?

The people who founded the country had something to say about that very question.

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Note that, when they were faced with that question in their day, they did not try to reform the King and Parliament of England. They just booted them out.

Perhaps we should take the hint.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Note that, when they were faced with that question in their day, they did not try to reform the King and Parliament of England. They just booted them out.

Perhaps we should take the hint.
Maybe we should start with term limits on the members of Congress? Of course, if you make that assertion too vehemently you just might find your self suicided or disappeared. It's almost as dangerous as suggesting that the military industrial complex take a pay cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies