Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Actually, the laws of some 41 states prevent women from civilly marrying other women. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

If a state bans gay couples from civilly marrying, then that means gay couples can't civilly marry. That's as basic as it gets.

Just because you're not jailed doesn't mean you're being denied equal rights and equal treatment under the law.

Exactly. Gay couples should have equal access to civil marriage law and should be afforded the same legal rights straight, civilly married couples are.

This doesn't make any sense. The legal rights of civil marriage are joint rights that don't make sense in the context of individuals.
So now you changed it to "civilly married" lols.

Like I said, same-sex couples are free to marry. No one or no law is prohibiting them.

And they are fighting for government benefits that will still be denied to other groups. So it's not about equality.

Marriage is a religious institution. The government has no right to interfere in it.

People that don't want to marry in a church could go to a private marriage company. Then the entire "controversy" dissappears. gays can marry gays. straights can marry straights. It aint no one else's business who marries whom. The same institution that performed the marriage can do the divorce, when it's time for that. And the couple can pay for it. Why should my tax money pay for publik divorce courts? It aint my relationship that failed.

Privatizing marriage solves the entire dilema. Government involvement is what creates controversy. And if it is "legalized" everywhere the controversy will not go away.

Look at contraception. For decades the private sector has provided cheap, effective birth control. Any moron with a couple quarters can obtain it. As soon as the government stepped in with Obamacare, contraception becomes an issue. They took a problem that did not exist and made a problem out of it. And watch prices skyrocket in the next few years.

Same thing with marriage. Get the govt out and the problem no longer exists.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Carson actually did compare the 3, and he did it on more than one occasion .
He did not compare them in any way. A and B cannot do X. That does not compare A to B. That's just basic rational thought process. Logic 101. This issue is just liberals being morons.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

Like I said, same-sex couples are free to marry. No one or no law is prohibiting them.

And they are fighting for government benefits that will still be denied to other groups. So it's not about equality.

Marriage is a religious institution. The government has no right to interfere in it.

People that don't want to marry in a church could go to a private marriage company. Then the entire "controversy" dissappears. gays can marry gays. straights can marry straights. It aint no one else's business who marries whom. The same institution that performed the marriage can do the divorce, when it's time for that. And the couple can pay for it. Why should my tax money pay for publik divorce courts? It aint my relationship that failed.

Privatizing marriage solves the entire dilema. Government involvement is what creates controversy. And if it is "legalized" everywhere the controversy will not go away.

Look at contraception. For decades the private sector has provided cheap, effective birth control. Any moron with a couple quarters can obtain it. As soon as the government stepped in with Obamacare, contraception becomes an issue. They took a problem that did not exist and made a problem out of it. And watch prices skyrocket in the next few years.

Yeah, I use the word "civil." I use it because this entire debate is about CIVIL marriage. This debate has nothing to do with religious or traditional or familiar or private marriages.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
She's opening up the discussion for all those who wish to bring in whatever-the-hell they wish to bring in, which I think is an excellent idea, since right wingnuts keep bringing up marrying walls, the family dog, etc. Let's throw it all in and have a SC discussion of it and see what happens. That should quell the BS on these threads.
Even marrying red heads, the horror, right?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
He did not compare them in any way. A and B cannot do X. That does not compare A to B. That's just basic rational thought process. Logic 101. This issue is just liberals being morons.
In pure logic perhaps. But he wasn't lecturing logic 101. He absolutely was making a comparison.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Its not really about equality. Thats just the rhetoric they use. One thing the left is good at, is picking the right language and rhetoric for their agenda. Just listen to it, "marriage equality", it sounds so great. But its not honest at all.

Your right about what you state. It really is not about equality. And the left is very good at choosing the right words with caution and carefully. They make sure, and i admit they are not dumb, to choose the words well that fit in with their agenda.

Words can be made to sound so great, but in actuality really they are not and i doubt the left cares about their words and if their actions are about being honest.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

But marriage is recognized by the government, from the tax code, to inheritances, etc.

I don't get your comparison with contraception, except to introduce another controversial subject into the thread to hijack it.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Why won't you just answer the question? Are you not capable of answering a simple question because that's how it seems all the time when you reply.
Okay, I'll answer the question. What do you want to know?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Okay, I'll answer the question. What do you want to know?
As a far left liberal (which we all know you are) why are you not bothered by Justice Sotomayor comparing homosexuality to incest during her questioning?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
As a far left liberal (which we all know you are) why are you not bothered by Justice Sotomayor comparing homosexuality to incest during her questioning?
I think that Justice Sotomayor WANTED TO bring up the constant right wing issue that gay marriage will open the door to all those other inane and freakish things the right wing is constantly mentioning - the family dog, harems, etc. I think she WANTED the attorney to respond to those things, which is why she didn't question him further. I think she WANTED the attorney to respond precisely to those things the way he did. Once he did, she was satisfied.

Why, what did you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies