Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Are you white? Does it hurt your feelings when someone calls you a cracker? Seriously? Be honest.

That's what I thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
How did this thread turn into white people pretending to be oppressed?
Since we seem to be taking the "anti-white slurs" claim at face value for the moment, it's not just that they were being tossed around but rather they were the motivation for violent action targeted at people of a specific race. That's a bigger problem then just people having their feelings hurt. For Lorielicious to make a big deal of having a racial slur randomly tossed at her one evening while dismissing the apparent racial animus behind a violent mob action when races of the perpetrator/recipient are reversed is particularly hypocritical. When it happens to her, it's indicative of a racist city. When it happens to white people with battery and robbery thrown into the mix, it's a "rare occurence" even though it keeps happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 08:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Since we seem to be taking the "anti-white slurs" claim at face value for the moment, it's not just that they were being tossed around but rather they were the motivation for violent action targeted at people of a specific race. That's a bigger problem then just people having their feelings hurt. For Lorielicious to make a big deal of having a racial slur randomly tossed at her one evening while dismissing the apparent racial animus behind a violent mob action when races of the perpetrator/recipient are reversed is particularly hypocritical.
Exactly.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Since we seem to be taking the "anti-white slurs" claim at face value for the moment, it's not just that they were being tossed around but rather they were the motivation for violent action targeted at people of a specific race. That's a bigger problem then just people having their feelings hurt. For Lorielicious to make a big deal of having a racial slur randomly tossed at her one evening while dismissing the apparent racial animus behind a violent mob action when races of the perpetrator/recipient are reversed is particularly hypocritical. When it happens to her, it's indicative of a racist city. When it happens to white people with battery and robbery thrown into the mix, it's a "rare occurence" even though it keeps happening.
Chicago has a lot of racial tension. It indeed works both ways..

Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, but people are oppressed for their type of whiteness. In America today this is a minor problem but was very important in the past. I dunno, there may be some types of Whites who are still oppressed on account of their ethnicity, Jews for instance. There are sure lots of American Whites who dislike Jews, whether they have the power to actually oppress them is another story.
People are oppressed for being Jewish, yes. Not for being white, though.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Anyone can become oppressed. Ever hear of 'wage slavery'? Indentured servitude? Religious Persecution? Classism?
Yes, I've heard of all of those things. No person who suffers from any of those things suffers as a result of their whiteness. We're discussing "white slurs," not religious slurs or class slurs.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
The Chicago Police Department has issued a statement that there have been no complaints/reports of assaults, property damage or robberies ... last evening. None.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
hahaha, I was reading about this today and I came on here right away because I knew you'd just be DROOLING over this story and I wanted to see what you would post about it. Get a grip dude, were you donw on Michigan Ave last night?

Who said it was 500 people? A "community activist" that one of the news stations found as they wandered around talking to people. Everyone else said it was smaller groups of teens who gathered and together numbered around 100-150 within the groups over the course of the night. Of all the incidents on Michigan Ave or State Street they all involved arrests of reckless conduct for blocking traffic or purposefully bumping into people on the streets. You act as if people were being robbed and assaulted up and down Michigan. Look at the videos. 95% of this was young teens running around laughing as the cops tried to get them from crowding and blocking streets and sidewalks. There were a few fights among the teens. The charges of robbery and assault was from an unrelated situation on the red line a few hours earlier when a group of teens got into it with a few innocent women and one of them tried to grab the womans purse as they were arguing and was arrested when he stepped off the train.

You're do dramatic. Yes it's not a good situation, but you need to LIVE YOUR OWN LIFE and stop spending every waking minute just waiting and praying to find some attack or crime going on in downtown Chicago or boystown. Just give it up! You're in Dallas - live your life!! You only get one.

Most of the "reports" in this story were talking with one random guy on the street who was obviously trying to play this whole thing up almost as much as you are. I know people who were downtown last night and had no idea this was happening even though they were a block away. The real story is the extreme police presence and how the police reacted to this with a massive show of force even though nothing violent or damaging was going on. Kids blocking the sidewalk or bumping into people is now enough for the cops to cut it all off and just arrest those for any charges they can. I think that's good. Get all this to stop before anything bad happens.
This..

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Yes, I've heard of all of those things. No person who suffers from any of those things suffers as a result of their whiteness. We're discussing "white slurs," not religious slurs or class slurs.
I know you didn't like my answer but yes, my feelings can be brought to anger if the word "whiteboy" is used in the right way and moment. No, I'm not gonna be sensitive to it the way people are often sensitive to racial slurs. But yes, it can "hurt my feelings". I'm not sure if the word whiteboy actually is a "slur" though.

But as Drover said, the point of mentioning the slurs being used is that it's admission of a racial motivation. How white people on this forum feel about the word "cracker" is a little irrelevant.

But in the end, most of all, the OP really needs to get a grip. We can have this debate but please not on thread started by that guy and his paranoid rantings..

Old 03-31-2013, 09:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
LOL. I don't think you would find any sane American Jew who would characterize Jews as "oppressed" in America these days. Anti-Semitism still exists, of course, just as racism of all stripes exists, but that is not "oppression."

On an individual level apologizing or amending any act of racism is ridiculous. A racial slight is a racial slight, period.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The Chicago Police Department has issued a statement that there have been no complaints/reports of assaults, property damage or robberies ... last evening. None.
So it was all race-based fearmongering with no basis in reality, after all. Shocking. SHO. KING.

Welcome to Chicago. 21st century city with 19th century views on race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies