U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2013, 12:34 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,687,089 times
Reputation: 1222

Advertisements

President Obama was far too timid during his first term to push for progressive policies. Obama has a progressive streak in him but he's governed like a pragmatic centrist. This is why the left wing of the democratic party has been unhappy with his presidency.

This is a liberal country ready for real liberal policies. Yet, even with a democratic house and senate the best we could do was the Affordable Care Act, which is a conservative solution(first promoted by the Heritage Foundation in the 90's) to America's health care problem.

Liberals should call for the following:

- Universal single payer health care modeled after the Canadian system.

- guaranteed vacation time for all workers. We are the only country in the developed world that doesn't mandate by law guaranteed vacation time for workers. You have people in this country that work 50 and 60 hours a week and never get a vacation. This isn't just wrong it is IMMORAL. Everyone who works should be guaranteed paid vacation time. Even conservatives in European countries recognize the benefits of this. A rested workforce is a revitalized work force. A stressed work force is not good for society or the individual.

- gun control - universal background checks. Banishment of high capacity assault weapons. There is no reason someone should be allowed to own an AR-15. You can't make an argument for needing one.

- Campaign finance - public funding of all elections.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 AM
 
Location: Pluto's Home Town
9,986 posts, read 12,697,554 times
Reputation: 5659
Good to see a real liberal. This place is crawling with righties. I am more of a pragmatic centrist myself, but I welcome your ideas.

Those ideas all sound good to me. The Canadian model is better than ours, but retains most of our cultural norms.

I think the biggest argument will be with the working class whites who would prefer to work 60 hours a week with no benefits than to go for that socialist stuff. Even though it would undoubtedly improve their quality of life. Back in the day, workers used to fight "the man." Now they fight for "the man." Right wing media is good chit!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 AM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,687,089 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Good to see a real liberal. This place is crawling with righties. I am more of a pragmatic centrist myself, but I welcome your ideas.

Those ideas all sound good to me. The Canadian model is better than ours, but retains most of our cultural norms.

I think the biggest argument will be with the working class whites who would prefer to work 60 hours a week with no benefits than to go for that socialist stuff. Even though it would undoubtedly improve their quality of life. Back in the day, workers used to fight "the man." Now they fight for "the man." Right wing media is good chit!
well I wouldn't call a federal law mandating paid vacation time socialism. Socialism is when the government controls the means of production. This would just be a federal labor law.

I think workers in this country not getting paid vacation leads to a host of social problems. They become more stressed.They are more strained and alienated from society. The higher stress levels lead to more crime. Its dehumanizing for someone to work work work and never get a vacation.

When I lived and worked in Britain one thing I learned is that all work was honorable. That's how Britons feel. Yet, in American society there is a large segment of the population that puts down low wage workers. I'm not sure why this is. I don't think its sinister and I don't think they want them to feel dehumanized. But there's a little bit of "yeah i made it to where i am, why can't you?" attitude here in the U.S

Maybe one reason all work is considered honorable in Britain is because its easier for people to get on public assistance and housing benefits. Those people that abuse that system are looked down upon and should be. But I never ever saw someone say "hey look at that min wage worker..what a *******." Instead you hear "good lad, puttin a shift in". But here in the U.S the attitude toward the low wage worker is similar to the attitude in Britain towards the public assistance abuser.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 04:27 AM
 
Location: Midwest City, Oklahoma
10,907 posts, read 5,884,931 times
Reputation: 3529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
- Universal single payer health care modeled after the Canadian system.
The Canadian system is actually not very good. The World Health Organization tends to rate France's system much more highly.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
- guaranteed vacation time for all workers. We are the only country in the developed world that doesn't mandate by law guaranteed vacation time for workers. You have people in this country that work 50 and 60 hours a week and never get a vacation. This isn't just wrong it is IMMORAL. Everyone who works should be guaranteed paid vacation time. Even conservatives in European countries recognize the benefits of this. A rested workforce is a revitalized work force. A stressed work force is not good for society or the individual.
No one is forced to work 50-60 hours a week. I've had probably 15 different jobs in my life. I've never worked more than 42 hours in a single week in my entire life. Secondly, I don't know why you believe that a "rested workforce is a revitalized work force". Is the Swedish workforce more productive than the American workforce? Does the average Swedish laborer produce higher quality of work than the average American laborer?

Look, if you want paid vacations, don't work for anyone who doesn't provide you with a paid vacation, and boycott any company that doesn't offer paid vacations. The problem with the concept of paid vacations, is that it is necessarily inefficient.

Think of it like this. Most manufacturing plants run 24/7, in three shifts. The reason why is, if you only ran the equipment eight hours a day instead of 24 hours a day, it would take three times as much machinery to produce the same amount of goods. If you mandate people to have paid vacations, then you create labor holes. Basically, you might hire X amount of workers based on how much labor you need. But if they are gone several weeks out of the year, then you either have to juggle the workers you have to make sure all the positions are covered, or you have to hire temporary workers to cover the weeks that your employees take off for vacation. It creates an absolute headache for small businesses with very few employees. But is much easier for large businesses with many employees.

Quote:
- gun control - universal background checks. Banishment of high capacity assault weapons. There is no reason someone should be allowed to own an AR-15. You can't make an argument for needing one.
Look, there are several arguments for needing an AR-15 and lots of bullets. But regardless, assault weapons aren't necessarily any more lethal than handguns. For instance, the Virginia Tech shooter used two handguns and killed more people than the guy at Newtown.

Secondly, I hate to break it to you. But you can't trust the government. You might argue that government is us, we shouldn't be afraid of ourselves. But the reality is that, even if this was a democracy, it tends to be 51% effectively subjugating the other 49%. But even worse, it isn't even 51% really, considering the influence of special interests, who wield a disproportionate amount of power. And, one of the greatest ways to prevent abuses by the government. Is to simply tell them you aren't going to allow it, and then show them your gun.

Quote:
- Campaign finance - public funding of all elections.
Its a nice idea, but is inherently problematic, and still doesn't solve the influence of money and power. Furthermore, you aren't going to be repealing Citizens United anytime soon. So it is a moot point.

What I would rather see is, a restriction of the government. There wouldn't be so many lobbyists getting paid big money in Washington D.C. if the government was limited. There would simply be no favors to hand out, no subsidies to seek, no tax credits for corporations, etc. What would lobbyists do if the government had basically zero power? They would be out of a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
 
47,375 posts, read 20,435,055 times
Reputation: 11473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
President Obama was far too timid during his first term to push for progressive policies. Obama has a progressive streak in him but he's governed like a pragmatic centrist. This is why the left wing of the democratic party has been unhappy with his presidency.

This is a liberal country ready for real liberal policies. Yet, even with a democratic house and senate the best we could do was the Affordable Care Act, which is a conservative solution(first promoted by the Heritage Foundation in the 90's) to America's health care problem.

Liberals should call for the following:

- Universal single payer health care modeled after the Canadian system.

- guaranteed vacation time for all workers. We are the only country in the developed world that doesn't mandate by law guaranteed vacation time for workers. You have people in this country that work 50 and 60 hours a week and never get a vacation. This isn't just wrong it is IMMORAL. Everyone who works should be guaranteed paid vacation time. Even conservatives in European countries recognize the benefits of this. A rested workforce is a revitalized work force. A stressed work force is not good for society or the individual.

- gun control - universal background checks. Banishment of high capacity assault weapons. There is no reason someone should be allowed to own an AR-15. You can't make an argument for needing one.

- Campaign finance - public funding of all elections.
"President Obama was far too timid during his first term to push for progressive policies."

This will go down as the joke of the year.

Maybe you have heard of ObamaCare?

" There is no reason someone should be allowed to own an AR-15" Please oh wise one, what is it about an AR-15 that YOU believe it is such an evil rifle that it should be banned.

This ought to be good!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,478 posts, read 55,434,631 times
Reputation: 24765
"OBAMACARE" is a right wing joke being played on the American people. It still leaves the parasitic insurance industry in the system. We should have Universal Health Care where the providers negotiate a payment schedule with the Federal government and all the sick person needs to do is show up with the UHC card with a small co-pay.

As a Liberal Democrat I am appalled that we are still in the Middle East protecting both the Saudi Royals and the Israeli colonizers. Both should be able to protect themselves. We need to spend our money rebuilding this country not rebuilding Iraq or Afghanistan.

I am also a Liberal that believes that Liberal is derived from Liberty and the Democrats insistence on ineffective gun control laws not only weaken the individual citizen's ability to defend themselves but are also unnecessary restrictions on free individuals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
 
18,198 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Reputation: 8815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" There is no reason someone should be allowed to own an AR-15" Please oh wise one, what is it about an AR-15 that YOU believe it is such an evil rifle that it should be banned.

This ought to be good!
Good question.... eagerly waiting for the OP's answer on this one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,067 posts, read 78,550,986 times
Reputation: 27662
Gee all social issues. No economic or foreign policy issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:59 AM
 
13,640 posts, read 8,760,279 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee all social issues. No economic or foreign policy issues.
Single payer is a huge economic issue. Single payer saves individuals, families, businesses, and the government a lot of money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,478 posts, read 55,434,631 times
Reputation: 24765
Anyone that desires to own an AR-15 has a right to own an AR-15. They are effective on varmints from rat to human size and have become quite reliable. They are also decent target rifles.

I would rather have an M-1A with detachable magazines. I, personally, have no use for fully automatic submachine guns but they are fun to shoot.

In fact there are no evil guns. There are plenty of evil, unstable and/or downright dangerous people. You have to be wary of them not their guns.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top