Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Are the two old guys gonna go at it?
I'd win.

Quote:
Cool, let me get a beverage.
You better be 21 or older...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Not to disagree but you need to back to post #115 and catch up. We are talking abot blue collar workers.
Actually, my response is right on target with what you posted. Please, go back & read.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
And by no one do you mean lots of people? There are plenty of "low skilled jobs" that pay over $10 an hour. So you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

So i'm curious..what kind of selfish immoral bastard are you? Are you a business owner that wants to pay as little as possible for labor? At least that would be understandable even if it is immoral. Or are you just a jack ass that gets his kicks seeing people work for slave wages, never getting a vacation, and being dehumanized?
So now paying prevailing wage is immoral? Now every business owner denies pay, vacations and beats their workers?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Yes, dear, that's been precisely my point, namely that everyone from workers on up to your precious CEOs are not paid based upon their skills or value to corporations. That's what makes the refrain from the self-loathing, right-wingers so curious. When one of us asks why workers are paid such piddly amounts, your standard response is, "They lack skills and anyone can do their jobs." That's a curious argument to make when you've previously acknowledged that it's simply about how much one of the oligarchs in one of these command economies decides workers will be paid.

No, it is our business. When a few oligarchs decree what will be the prevailing wages of the masses, it affects all of us. The externalities are numerous as citizens, as are the costs as consumers.

Your last argument is pure brilliance - If we haven't worked as CEOs, we cannot know all they do. Is that brilliant, or what? And, again, you contradict your original premise that what people are paid is due to what someone decides to pay them rather than being based upon skills, hours worked, profit the person has generated and so on. Since you dipped your toe in the water and broached the subject, would you care to use my example of Target and begin to explain the "longer hours" and "greater sacrifices" made by the CEO of Target and how that translates into making hundreds of times more than, say a Target store manager? Or are you then going to revert back to the explanation that wages and salaries are based on nothing more than what the Board of Directors feels like paying the peons and the CEO and validate my own premise?

Finally, since I see Robin has weighed in on this thread, she never got back to me on explaining how she thinks American CEOs are hired on a "free market."
I'm not your "dear", so save the sexist remarks to yourself (although you did illustrate brilliantly where the true war on women comes from - the left).

And no, it is not, and never will be, your business what sort of agreement my employer and I have entered in regarding my wage. As a liberal, I understand that you have an insatiable need to control every aspect of society, but it's none of your business. How is it that a woman's body is "her" business, but her wage is everyone's?

As for your Target example, nothing I say will change your mind. But the fact is that the CEO of Target is responsible for 100 of times the employees, locations and products than the manager of one store. That worker might work hard, but they obviously lack the skills that the CEO has, or they would themselves be in that position.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Exactly. That's precisely my point too.

And without some form of regulation, we'll end up like India, or Bangladesh, or China.

You know, the places where they've moved all the jobs to because they are not interested in paying what the market demands, they're interested in cutting the cost of labor, absolutely any way possible.

That is, except for the very smart, dare I say - progressive - companies, who have realized that to value your workforce and treat them well is to end up with a substantially more satisfied customer base and eventually more profitable company.

Because, gasp, when you treat people properly they perform better, stay longer, are more productive, have loyalty, care about YOUR customers. That's why Walmart is a completely miserable customer experience and Costco is not. Or McDonalds is and In 'n Out isn't.
Just a news flash - those Walmart workers are working there because they most likely lack the productivity, loyalty and caring attitude that the Costco workers do. You believe that paying them more gives them all these qualities. The reality is that they lack those qualities and that is why they work there. If they were a better employee, they would move on to Costco.

I seriously doubt that the reason the Costco checker asks how my day is, looks me in the eye, and quickly handles my transaction is because they earn a higher paycheck. They are in that position, earning a higher paycheck, because they care about their customer, look them in the eye and quickly handle transactions.

My husband works for a company was just sold to another. The new company immediately handed out raises, gave them better health insurance, and gave everyone a bonus after 90 days. The 90 days is approaching, and at least 4 employees have indicated that they will leave after the bonus. Their thinking is that the money will let them "float" for a few months of no working, then they'll find another job. They are the 4 employees that have the worst numbers and worst productivity. So how do you explain that more money makes them better employees exactly? They are still the same loser employees, that just can't handle the higher standards of a better wage.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Or maybe they are interested in paying what the market demands since it is now a world market. The only thing, many countries have strict immigration policies, so the current market is set up against the American worker.
No, they are interested in paying the least amount possible. Always have been. And if they could, they'd be paying Bangladeshi wages here too.

They don't outsource jobs because the market demands it, they outsource jobs because it's cheaper, and at the end of the day their job is to maximize profits.

If it was legal to come dump all their industrial waste into yor backyard, they'd do that too.

That's why we need some form of regulation on big business. Luckily for us, it's become somewhat of a PR advantage to at least pretend to care about the environment and your workforce. Because if they could get away with crap, they'd do it. And frequently have.

Why wouldn't they, their JOB is to maximize shareholder's ROI. That's it. End of story.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's obvious to anyone paying attention.
Or if one isn't being honest, has an agenda and is biased.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Just a news flash - those Walmart workers are working there because they most likely lack the productivity, loyalty and caring attitude that the Costco workers do. You believe that paying them more gives them all these qualities. The reality is that they lack those qualities and that is why they work there. If they were a better employee, they would move on to Costco.

I seriously doubt that the reason the Costco checker asks how my day is, looks me in the eye, and quickly handles my transaction is because they earn a higher paycheck. They are in that position, earning a higher paycheck, because they care about their customer, look them in the eye and quickly handle transactions.

My husband works for a company was just sold to another. The new company immediately handed out raises, gave them better health insurance, and gave everyone a bonus after 90 days. The 90 days is approaching, and at least 4 employees have indicated that they will leave after the bonus. Their thinking is that the money will let them "float" for a few months of no working, then they'll find another job. They are the 4 employees that have the worst numbers and worst productivity. So how do you explain that more money makes them better employees exactly? They are still the same loser employees, that just can't handle the higher standards of a better wage.
No, you have it backward. That's exactly why you get treated as a valued customer at Costco. Exactly why. Good grief, it's not rocket science. They treat their workers as valuable, in turn the workers do the same to you. Costco knows this and has taken that attitude from day one. It's one of the reasons they're so successful, they refused to play the same retail game as everyone else from the get go.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, you have it backward. That's exactly why you get treated as a valued customer at Costco. Exactly why. Good grief, it's not rocket science. They treat their workers as valuable, in turn the workers do the same to you. Costco knows this and has taken that attitude from day one. It's one of the reasons they're so successful, they refused to play the same retail game as everyone else from the get go.
I know, it's really not that hard to understand. If your employees are treated fairly & nicely, they feel valued & they get praise when it's warranted & criticism as well, they'll be better employees. If you never thank them, never tell them they've done a good job, never give them raises or give them a low wage to begin with & basically make them wonder "why the hell am I here?", why would you expect to have a good employee? Because you said so? Because that employee just loves to be a cashier so much? LOL, please.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As usual, some RWs have to make fun of the developmentally disabled.
ok, now I am confused, did you just accuse everyone on the left of being developmentally disabled? While I don't agree with all of butkus51's posts, the post you refer to was talking about all liberals.

I never put everyone in any group as all being the same as each other all believing the same 100% as everyone else. You always have people with differing ideas, even within a group.

In this case, he was addressing ALL liberals. YOU, in addressing his comment, associate all liberals as developmentally disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies