Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Good point. Data shows that C/C states have realized a drop in violent crime. These punks won't walk up on you if they think they'll get offed.
OK, but if all the Chicago gangs have been armed all along, then how do you explain the fact that they have been killing each other all these years? Shouldn't they have refrained from attacking each other due to fear of getting "offed" by the armed rivals?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
hopefully these numbers continue to drop. but summertime is coming, people on the streets alot more. more time for folks to be creative and commit crimes.
Who knows, but the drop is in comparison to the same month last year.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
hopefully these numbers continue to drop. but summertime is coming, people on the streets alot more. more time for folks to be creative and commit crimes.
Winters are brutal - I guess - every year in Chicago... so I suppose the drop isn't weather related... anyway, it would be great if Chicago experienced a crime decline as substantial as NYC and Los Angeles' ones: gun nuts and conservatives will lose their favourite argument - the only one, in fact - against gun control

Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Do you know the reasons? Murder rates ebb and flow. The punks are on hiatus.
I don't study crime trends in cities, seeing you are from the suburbs of Chicago, I assume you are terrified to head into the city for any reason.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
that is very true, but the Cons on this site don't care what those reasons are.
They'll never acknowledge progress.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
Uhh.... No. Chicago's had an extremely cold and snowy winter. The weather's done more to curb violence than anything.
When it warms up, lookout. Its already started according to the news.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Great news indeed. The usual suspects will be along momentarily to attribute the drop to the weather, but they should be prepared to show that other cities that have received similar amounts of snow also experienced similar drops in crime.
The mayor and police superintendent cite the weather as one of the factors.

Quote:
The mayor and superintendent credit a variety of factors, including police strategies that target violence-prone neighborhoods, after school programs, and much colder weather than during the same period last year.
CPD says murders down; New Cook Co. gun tax goes into effect | abc7chicago.com

Old 04-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
They'll never acknowledge progress.
I know Chicago....unlike most of the people posting here.

Chicago follows a cycle of gang violence >>>>> police crackdown.

As such, I expect this year to have a lower total because it was *embarassing* to the city. FYI- That means more police profiling blacks in neighborhoods like Austin....more young black males thrown in jail for whatever they can find.

I'm sorry you view this as "progress", if you had any idea how racist "democratic" Chicago was you wouldn't be lining up in political lockstep.

Additionally, last years winter was mild compared to this year.

Lastly, most of the murders happen in the warmer months.

P.S. Let it soak in, Chicago is cracking down because they got bad press and it hurt the cities image and tourism. They are not cracking down because 400 or so black people got murdered last year which is was 50ish higher than the "acceptable" amount where they were not prompted to undertake special action.

Let it sink in.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Winters are brutal - I guess - every year in Chicago... so I suppose the drop isn't weather related... anyway, it would be great if Chicago experienced a crime decline as substantial as NYC and Los Angeles' ones: gun nuts and conservatives will lose their favourite argument - the only one, in fact - against gun control
Your speculation is incorrect. The city itself gives credit to the weather.

Actually, the favorite argument against gun control is that the gun murder rate is extremely low in most parts of the US and quite high in certain urban pockets. Even within Chicago you can have one neighborhood with 1 murder per 100k and another with 40 murders per 100k....just miles apart....same exact laws.

So, explain that to me. How can the gun murder rate be 40x higher despite having the exact same laws, same police force etc? Wierd huh?

Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
Last March in Chicago was very warm, with some days in the 80s. This March has been cold. That is why crime is down this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies