Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,267 times

Advertisements

Will this decision become a precedent for other cities teetering on the edge? I'm thinking bigger places like Detroit et al?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
But now it is even worse.

California Now Has Negative Net Worth of $127.2 Billion

We would be better off if California was ceded back to Mexico.
Surely that figure does not factor in assets? That's a straight balance sheet number - right?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Next up - Chicago.
So what does Stockton and Chicago have in common?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Now how can this be? I was just reading through a thread a few days back where Cali has balanced their budget and Brown is a genius and the liberals have their illegal alien riddled utopia.
Stockton has been in trouble for DECADES - since long before our current President or Governor, if that matters. I used to live in Stockton, so pretty sure I know this situation better than you. That being said, when has anyone ever claimed CA is out of the woods? I sure don't believe that.

P.S. I lived there from 1999-2002, and things were already long-established as crappy there... they don't call it the "armpit of California" without good reason.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:01 PM

Btw, didn't Vallejo already declare bankruptcy? Not sure if things ever went through, but they at least proposed it before Stockton.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM

491 posts, read 373,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what does Stockton and Chicago have in common?
Crime.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Stockton has been in trouble for DECADES - since long before our current President or Governor, if that matters. I used to live in Stockton, so pretty sure I know this situation better than you. That being said, when has anyone ever claimed CA is out of the woods? I sure don't believe that.

P.S. I lived there from 1999-2002, and things were already long-established as crappy there... they don't call it the "armpit of California" without good reason.
Naw - the armpit of California is Stanton in Orange County.

Stockton is not far behind.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
Naw - the armpit of California is Stanton in Orange County.

Stockton is not far behind.
Wait... you mean to tell me that two of our most conservative regions are also the worst? And here I thought only liberals were to blame for everything that's wrong with our country and state.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wait... you mean to tell me that two of our most conservative regions are also the worst? And here I thought only liberals were to blame for everything that's wrong with our country and state. Silly me!
There are many parts of Orange County that are not ideal. Santa Ana and are two. Anaheim and Gardem Grove are mixed.

I posted earlier in this thread as how San Jouquin County voted for President Obama in 2012.

Are you saying that President Obama has everything to do with what is wrong with our country?

By the way, Stanton is in central Orange County. Much of the central and north parts of the county voted Democratic, and much of those areas are represented ny Democrat Loretta Sanchez.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post
There are many parts of Orange County that are not ideal. Santa Ana and are two. Anaheim and Gardem Grove are mixed.

I posted earlier in this thread as how San Jouquin County voted for President Obama in 2012.

Are you saying that President Obama has everything to do with what is wrong with our country?

By the way, Stanton is in central Orange County. Much of the central and north parts of the county voted Democratic, and much of those areas are represented ny Democrat Loretta Sanchez.
I checked - Stanton has voted Republican in the last few elections, and Stockton only voted Dem when Obama ran. Hate to say it (even though any conservative or liberal would agree if they're being honest), but I have a feeling Stockton's large Black population had something to do with the sudden shift in '08.

Not that it matters, since I was just being facetious anyway... I'm not a huge Obama fan either, and pretty much think all politicians are useless these days. But I'm also not naive enough to think a Governor or POTUS has any direct control over every US city, particularly not one with a long history of issues like Stockton. When was the last time that town was safe and prosperous, and how many administrations have come & gone in that time? Hmmm. Guess you just can't fix 'em all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies