Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,909,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So...if you want to whine that your employer is unfair or cruel because he expects you to show up for work on time and put in a fair days work...sure, start your own business. Set up whatever rules you want, and give your employees anything they ask for. COme on back in a few years and tell us all about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,039,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Heh! That's some funny stuff!
Funny maybe, but true.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM

29,435 posts, read 16,347,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Because people on these boards say that business owners salaries should be limited to a certain amount, and they should be forced to provide health care and certain wages, and they should not be allowed to lay people off, etc. etc etc.

When those people have never been up at 3 am holding sick kids and working on inventory that has to go out the next day. Or spending their vacation in a foreign country dealing with credit card chargebacks from a crazy customer. Or had a stolen payment reversed and now you've lost that inventory and the payment.

Those people didn't spend a couple of years working 60-70 hours a week putting almost all of the proceeds back into the business so they one day it would be successful.

So many people on these boards skip all of that and jump right to where the business owner is successful and start screaming about how the owners are greedy and "owe" them something.

I dont read every post on this site, but i havent seen anyone say business owners should have their salaries limited. What you probably read was someone saying that if you can pay a CEO 10 million a year, then you can pay a worker more than 7.50.

That being said, lets back up a minute, im pretty sure the people on this forum speak mostly of corporations with million in profits not mom and pop's clothing store on main street.

i cant say i have been up with sick kids , but i have been up at 5AM doing inventory, mark down, additional marks, price changes, display reassignment, visual replacements and so on and so forth.

Also, you really want to flaunt being able to pay for a vacation in a foreign country ?????

Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,374,878 times
Default Why do posters suggest that other people start their own business to make a point?

Well, Ronald Reagan told a bunch of laid off auto workers that it was a blessing they were laid off, because now they could own their own Amway business, and that if they weren't laid off, they would never have realized this great opportunity.

Republicans work in mysterious ways.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,714,087 times
Here's another tidbit. Most of the threads here have less to do with how to run a business than how to design the tax code to build a better society. Business people may have a leg up on some of the details about how to run a company, but they also often have a conflict of interest. Most of the most virulent posters here work in the oil industry, in real estate, mining, or other industries that allow them to internalize profits and outsource the consequences. Who the hell wants to pay workers when it means lowering their own profits? Who wants environmental regulations, when they cut in to the take? Well society demands it to some degree. Slave labor was a great racket for the owners in its day, but the larger society thought differently. The perspectives of the non slave owners proved very important, as I recall. And if you live in and care about a society, you will at least listen to those views.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM

386 posts, read 403,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am the offspring of a person who ran a failed business because someone suggested to that person to start a business.

It's not that simple to just start a business. You must not only have an idea, but you must have capital, access to expertise, and knowledge of the market. Many businesses fail out there because they haven't done the research on how to make their business thrive.

All the different topics that relate to business:

minimum wage
union greed
corporate greed
healthcare
government regulations

...An opinion on these topics is supposed to be defended without having to resort to tell someone to start their own business.

If you have to tell someone to start their own business to make a point then all you're saying is you think you are arguing with someone that doesn't have knowledge on how to run a business.
I wouldn't know....I have a fulltime job with a small company and also a part time job running my own business with my Dad for the last almost 31 years. He's done it for about 45 years.

It's still very sucessful and I always have my day job to fall back on.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,910,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I am the offspring of a person who ran a failed business because someone suggested to that person to start a business.

It's not that simple to just start a business. You must not only have an idea, but you must have capital, access to expertise, and knowledge of the market. Many businesses fail out there because they haven't done the research on how to make their business thrive.

All the different topics that relate to business:

minimum wage
union greed
corporate greed
healthcare
government regulations

...An opinion on these topics is supposed to be defended without having to resort to tell someone to start their own business.

If you have to tell someone to start their own business to make a point then all you're saying is you think you are arguing with someone that doesn't have knowledge on how to run a business.
I started my first business with $250 and a worn our pickup. I had no experience and no idea what I was doing. It failed. My second business I started with a whopping $2500 war chest and in the meantime I did a lot of research before I started it. It was successful. My current business is also successful. It's not for everyone, but, it is still doable with little capital and no formal education. Actually most of it is common sense. Of coarse that is something that isn't really very common anymore.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 PM

193 posts, read 339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Because people on these boards say that business owners salaries should be limited to a certain amount, and they should be forced to provide health care and certain wages, and they should not be allowed to lay people off, etc. etc etc.

When those people have never been up at 3 am holding sick kids and working on inventory that has to go out the next day. Or spending their vacation in a foreign country dealing with credit card chargebacks from a crazy customer. Or had a stolen payment reversed and now you've lost that inventory and the payment.

Those people didn't spend a couple of years working 60-70 hours a week putting almost all of the proceeds back into the business so they one day it would be successful.

So many people on these boards skip all of that and jump right to where the business owner is successful and start screaming about how the owners are greedy and "owe" them something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont read every post on this site, but i havent seen anyone say business owners should have their salaries limited. What you probably read was someone saying that if you can pay a CEO 10 million a year, then you can pay a worker more than 7.50.

That being said, lets back up a minute, im pretty sure the people on this forum speak mostly of corporations with million in profits not mom and pop's clothing store on main street.

i cant say i have been up with sick kids , but i have been up at 5AM doing inventory, mark down, additional marks, price changes, display reassignment, visual replacements and so on and so forth.

Also, you really want to flaunt being able to pay for a vacation in a foreign country ?????
The real root in these comments stem from the lack of integrity in our financial system, and the related lack of integrity in our political system.

A Business owners net salary, or even a CEO´s would not be excessively high pay without merit if it weren´t for inexplicable loopholes and favors in our financial and political system.

It´s not excessively hard to make a high profit when granted loans without collateral, possessing access a slave labor wage force and legal trade system that caters to your needs.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,199,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I started my first business with $250 and a worn our pickup. I had no experience and no idea what I was doing. It failed. My second business I started with a whopping $2500 war chest and in the meantime I did a lot of research before I started it. It was successful. My current business is also successful. It's not for everyone, but, it is still doable with little capital and no formal education. Actually most of it is common sense. Of coarse that is something that isn't really very common anymore.
Was common sense EVER common?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 PM

193 posts, read 339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post

Very true points. It´s not being done as much because the system is losing integrity. It should be more common sense and less special favors and luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies