Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dude, you have presented a youtube video with a guy saying things were much better in the 1830s, then saying "he isn't much of a historian". As I said - naive.
What he said is historical fact.

He's an economist. He was kinda joking around about the historian part.

He was clearly showing how private enterprise took better care of the environment than government.

Any of this can be verified via other sources. Including historians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:04 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

Something tells me you'll change your tune when the regulations go away and the industrial sites around your house start dumping toxic waste into the river and soil and start polluting the air. And we know that's what they'll do, because it's what they did before they were regulated, and they continue to try to get away with it even with regulations in place.
Where do you think the chemical companies dump waste right now? In the rivers. The government owned rivers. The government allows them to do it. Less regulation aint gonna change that, unless you privatize the river.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
And they are still operating.

If government really cared they would have shut them down.
I hope not. I hope they're operating with a microscope up their mineshaft as regards safety. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Quote:
I also like the way you found 2 or 3 examples of companies that ignored the rules. I think there are 40 million incorporated companies in the U.S. It shouldn't be hard to find a couple bad actors, while ignoring the tens of millions that are actually practicing good business principles.
The bad eggs spoil it for the rest, on that we agree.

Quote:
It amazes me that people think companies are willing to kill people to make a buck. Normally killing people costs more money for a company than its worth.
Generally, they don't want to kill people. Doesn't mean that they're not at times quite happy to run some serious risks - through callousness or ignorance, it almost doesn't matter. UCIL didn't want to kill 3,000 people that day. It was just too expensive to design and run a plant that ruled out the possibility, as opposed to one that had, say, a 95% chance of stopping it. Unfortunately for the people of Bhopal, UCIL was not lucky that day.

Quote:
How many deaths in the 20th Century because of capitalism? Not very many. How many because of government? At least 200 million. The same governments you trust to regulate capitalism. It's naive and foolish thinking to think government is out to do anything except to feed its own power.
As opposed to capitalists, who shy away from the slightest bit of power - I've noticed. Government I at least have a hand in electing. (Well, not I. But that's another story.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies