Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:50 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times

Advertisements

I am someone that believes in the need for regulations.

At the very least, I think there should be a way to combat against fraud and damage done to property.

...On the other hand there are people out there who believe that there is too much regulation, and too much regulation and bureaucracy harms the flow of the economy.

One type of regulation I am against are Home owners associations and home size restrictions. It's becoming harder and harder to obtain property that is HOA free, and it is becoming harder and harder to build a house the size of an apartment.

One type of regulation I am for are home safety standards. However, I've recently read a post where home safety standard related regulation could be structured differently, freeing up time and money on licensing fees, while at the same time maintaining the current safety standards that we have.

...With that said, what regulations out there should be in place, and which ones are unnecessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

At the very least, I think there should be a way to combat against fraud and damage done to property.

...On the other hand there are people out there who believe that there is too much regulation, and too much regulation and bureaucracy harms the flow of the economy.

One type of regulation I am against are Home owners associations and home size restrictions. It's becoming harder and harder to obtain property that is HOA free, and it is becoming harder and harder to build a house the size of an apartment.

One type of regulation I am for are home safety standards. However, I've recently read a post where home safety standard related regulation could be structured differently, freeing up time and money on licensing fees, while at the same time maintaining the current safety standards that we have.

...With that said, what regulations out there should be in place, and which ones are unnecessary?
Government should prosecute fraud, theft and violence. They should stop there.

I have no problems with HOAs. They are voluntary and run by the people that live there. I lived in an HOA area once. Never caused me any problems. Though I prefer not having one. Most people that live in them like it because it keeps their property values high and the "riff-raff" out.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

I have no problems with HOAs. They are voluntary and run by the people that live there. I lived in an HOA area once. Never caused me any problems. Though I prefer not having one. Most people that live in them like it because it keeps their property values high and the "riff-raff" out.
In the last place I lived people had serious problems with the HOA. Turned out that there was corruption that funneled money into the chairs pockets...

Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
So you don't care if your doctors are required to pass med school in order to practice, food has ingrediant labels so you know what's in them, what is in food is regulated and food/products are tested for poisons?

How about emergency departments being required to treat you no matter if you can pay or not? So if some mugger robs and shoots someone they aren't dumped out the back door?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So you don't care if your doctors are required to pass med school in order to practice, food has ingrediant labels so you know what's in them, what is in food is regulated and food/products are tested for poisons?

If someone is selling bad food, then wouldn't that fall under fraud?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Never seen any case involving bad food being prosicuted for fraud.

Can you provide an example of your point?

I know the peanut butter salmonella case has wire fraud in the indictment, but it is for stating the food was untainted when they knew the tests proved it was. Not for the food itself being bad. If they didn't know, such as not doing the tests, they probably would have never been indicted in a criminal case...let alone fraud.

Last edited by EmeraldCityWanderer; 04-02-2013 at 08:48 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

Fraud has always been illegal and I don't know anybody who wants to make it legal.

There are thousands of unnecessary regulations and they add a huge cost to our goods and services.

If you have ever worked with the government on a project you would realize how wasteful these regulations are.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Well, I am not sure about food, but there has been plenty of lawsuits where, after the fact, people have sued for products that caused damage to their health.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Exactly. HOAs are voluntary. If you don't like it, don't buy a house there.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes.

We don't need the government to tell us what we can eat, drink, smoke or grow.

We don't need idiots like Bloomberg regulating soft drinks, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies