Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

So now the GOP Taliban wants to limit free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So, since you can't control YOUR kids, no one can watch what they want on TV?
Didn't you read what I said? I said one can't watch their teenagers 24/7. You do? Get real! I don't care what adults watch on tv but I care what kids watch. It isn't possible because that crap is on tv even when your kids aren't with you. I am retired so I don't have to watch my kids anymore but there wasn't the type of garbage on tv that there is today back then either.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Didn't you read what I said? I said one can't watch their teenagers 24/7. You do? Get real! I don't care what adults watch on tv but I care what kids watch. It isn't possible because that crap is on tv even when your kids aren't with you. I am retired so I don't have to watch my kids anymore but there wasn't the type of garbage on tv that there is today back then either.
Didn't YOU read where I said there are parental controls on computers and TVs that can block shows with any rating over what the parent selects?

I know my childrens friends, and their parents. I know I can trust them to not let my child watch anything that I wouldn't approve of.

You can't control your child isn't my problem, and it isn't the governments place to censor TV even further because you can't be a parent to your child.

Talk about nanny government.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Premarital sex is the hot issue of the year -- but that year is 1952.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Didn't YOU read where I said there are parental controls on computers and TVs that can block shows with any rating over what the parent selects?

I know my childrens friends, and their parents. I know I can trust them to not let my child watch anything that I wouldn't approve of.

You can't control your child isn't my problem, and it isn't the governments place to censor TV even further because you can't be a parent to your child.

Talk about nanny government.
What part of I am retired and don't have children at home anymore didn't you get? There is no way of monitoring your kids 24/7. It is ridiculous to claim so.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:16 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
What part of I am retired and don't have children at home anymore didn't you get? There is no way of monitoring your kids 24/7. It is ridiculous to claim so.
No, but there is a way to raise your children, so that you can trust them. There are also ways to monitor what your children do. Don't expect everyone else to raise YOUR children.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:58 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
These kinds of programs aren't just on cable. Hire a babysitter for teenagers? Really? What about when these kids go to a friends house and watch this stuff. Should we keep them chained at home? Better to not have that stuff on tv, period. Who with any taste in tv programming would want to watch that garbage anyway? Especially an adult. Isn't there better programming for you to watch than teenagers obsessed with having sex?
Shorter: Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO want Big Government to tell you what to do.

There, fixed it for ya.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
I would imagine that the premise behind it is to stop their kids from watching that stuff. I find a lot of it vulgar and going overboard and it could encourage kids to have sex at an early age without the beneift of marriage. No different then not allowing your kids to go to R rated movies. If you have kids you would understand this.
Then take responsibility for yourself & your kids. Why must the government get involved? If you don't want your kids watching premarital sex (GASP! THE HORROR!!!), then don't let them watch tv. Kids should be outside playing anyway instead of sitting like slugs in front of the tv or computer. No wonder kids these days are so fat.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Both parties are full of hypocrites and have platforms at odds with their supposed core values.

The party of less government (GOP) is clearly a party of more government when it uses the power of government to define morals and force them upon us.

The party of individual freedom (Dems) uses the force of government all the time to limit individual freedoms - to choose what we eat, what we buy, and what we say. Dems hate tobacco, but are more than happy to subsidize the growth of tobacco.

Both parties will use money (via the tax code) to influence or control our behavior.

If corruption were a spectator sport we would have to go to overtime because it is a tie.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Then take responsibility for yourself & your kids. Why must the government get involved? If you don't want your kids watching premarital sex (GASP! THE HORROR!!!), then don't let them watch tv. Kids should be outside playing anyway instead of sitting like slugs in front of the tv or computer. No wonder kids these days are so fat.
How many times does this have to be repeated in here before the reading handicapped get it? YOU CANNOT MONITOR YOUR KIDS 24/7 ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE TEENAGERS. AGAIN, I AM RETIRED SO I DON'T HAVE KIDS AT HOME ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is awful that all these sitcoms have to talk about is pre-marital sex and any other kind of sex and that is called entertainment. The fact that even adults watch them and defend their existance just goes to show you the moral decay happening in this country today. Now I am done with this subject because apparently reading comprehension has become rampant in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies