Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we support science with taxpayer dollars?
Yes, pure research and applied research have yielded great innovations. 62 79.49%
Yes, but only strictly applied research for important problems. 10 12.82%
Yes, but it is way overfunded. 6 7.69%
No. Scientists are just mercenaries and self-promoters. 3 3.85%
No. Scientists are pushing a liberal agenda for their liberal employers. 5 6.41%
No. All the questions science tries to ask have been answered by religion already. 1 1.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The answer isn't in your poll. Where in the US Constitution does it say that it is the governments responsibility to fund science. Where does it say the federal government is responsible for education? The list is endless. If science needs funding they should go to the private sector and to individuals.
So you would rather be stuck with the the view of the Constitution through the eyes of those who wrote and coincidentally lived a very agrarian lifestyle that is in stark contrast to our very industrialized society?

Personally, I want a govt that works for the current times. Or perhaps you believe other country's would never use their govt to get an advantage over us? Perhaps you would prefer a USSR super power instead of our American hegemony? Or perhaps China? Or perhaps an imperialist Japan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
So you would rather be stuck with the the view of the Constitution through the eyes of those who wrote and coincidentally lived a very agrarian lifestyle that is in stark contrast to our very industrialized society?

Personally, I want a govt that works for the current times. Or perhaps you believe other country's would never use their govt to get an advantage over us? Perhaps you would prefer a USSR super power instead of our American hegemony? Or perhaps China? Or perhaps an imperialist Japan?
No, what I believe is that the Constitution is supposed to limit what the federal government does for a reason. The states are to provide other services as they see fit individually. Does you government REALLY work now? I would say that our federal government is currently dysfunctional. Given our federal government holds development back for our society, I would venture to say that the government will be the CAUSE of our falling from our super power status, rather than elevating us up to it.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:30 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You seem to have opinions on how things should be with our government. Why are you wasting your time on an anonymous internet forum when you could actually be real change? Or is this just your hobby while you are making the big changes?

And don't play dumb, I can use a search function to look at all your strong opinions.
I WAS real change, but was sacrificed in the melee. It's a police state now. All stasis.

It's simple, really. The Government doesn't play by it's own rules, least not its written rules.

I have been pettied under the poverty line by the Government since 2005.

The courts have been made unavailable to me.

It destroyed all of my accumulated resources, and pretty much wiped out any hope for a viable future.

There has been no escape.

So . . Here I am - For your entertainment!

Most people on this forum member themselves with one giant in opposition to another giant - Big Government vs Big Business, Republicans vs Democrats, various combi-nations, etc. I have mostly just tried to stay out of the way. But, I have done a lot of testing along the way. I have some unique tacit knowledge. I once was issued a patent for a hole. Well, actually, my claims were restricted down to, "an enlarged opening", positioned for multi-fulcrumetric levering. Talk about freedom of accomplicational motion! Fricken space-accomodating ergodicity, man. It's public domain now, thanks to the actions taken by the NIH. "Greater good", and all that rot.

Serena: (Jubilantly) "Miguel! Miguel! They're fighting in the streets!"

Miguel: (Seasoned-sensibly) "HIDE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQsjAbZDx-4

Last edited by Nonarchist; 04-03-2013 at 03:54 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Absolutely we should fund science. It's one of the most important things we can do. Only working on science that is profitable in the short term is, well, short sighted. Long term success is achieved through long term, far reaching science.
No, we shouldn't! I don't believe in science (or at least that's what the left tells me). I'm a Christian, so that means I believe the earth is flat! Science is wrong, and it's a lie (how the hell did we ever get to the moon and back? Dumb luck, I suppose).

The leftists tell me that Christians don't believe in science. So I have formally rejected it.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:02 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Should fund pure and applied science with federal funds? Or should any research enterprise prove that is can earn a profit in the near-term?
Silly poll, obviously designed to support you bias.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
The government and even private organizations should not support science or basic research because all we need to know has been provided by God in the Holy Books. Further knowlege just leads to uncertainty and stress. Ignorance is bliss so prey with me in the name of God.

Last edited by GregW; 04-03-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:39 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Well, he's more accurate than many of the commenters in the thread are. He at least uses the proper term, "taxpayer funding". Unlike others who use the term "government funding". All spending by government is taxpayer funded, of course.

So, given that, how about we ask all those people working paycheck to paycheck, struggling to pay their bills...how do you feel about money being taken from you to fund well paid researchers and technicians? It pays my salary (we make research equipment, with our customer base divided about equally between universities, national labs and commercial ventures). But still, doesn't hid the fact that every dollar spent by the government is first taken from those that earned it.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:36 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yeah, but with his poll choices the OP ironically illustrates why government must not be allowed to monopolize scientific research. Read the answers--potential answers that might detract from the OP's view are left off. Purportedly contrary answers are designed to make the other side seem dumb.

Research virtually is 'the asking of questions,' but with these big-gov't lefty types, they only want to ask the questions that tend to produce the answers they seek. People with this kind of mentality are the last people one would want to put in charge of scientific research.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:42 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The government and even private organizations should not support science or basic research because all we need to know has been provided by God in the Holy Books. Further knowlege just leads to uncertainty and stress. Ignorance is bliss so prey with me in the name of God.
Is this serious?

Humans are top of the food chain because of our brains and ability to reason, and you choose to forego that.

How is knowledge uncertainty? They're antonyms!

As far as I'm concerned you're no better than a monkey in the circus. Take orders, do nothing for yourself, just pretend like juggling bananas and climbing poles is all there is.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
If we can afford to give tax breaks to organized religion, then we can afford to fund science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies