Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 11:25 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Y[you didn't need a loan to get threw school. You could of worked your way thru and paid as you went.

A proper statement would be people are willing to borrow money in order to complete school in the time frame they want to.
FAIL FAIL FAIL!
This is one of the most ridiculous statements that I have ever heard. Do you have even the slightest clue as to how much a college education is these days. On top of that, do you realize how long it would take to get a masters degree or a PHD going to school part time? Not to mention, it would be highly unlikely that someone in there early 20's would be able to find a job that could pay for for even part time tuition without a college education or some form of job skills.

I always love it when people try to say they went to school full time while working full time; no you didn't. There are not enough hours in a day to be taking 15 credits at a university wile working 40 hours a week if you plan on doing well in college, unless you're that kid from Good Will Hunting.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:31 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm starting to think poverty is the goal, not the removal of it.

Dependency is the goal. Liberals believe government is the answer to every social and economic issue. There is nothing that the state cannot fix if we just stand back and let it. If there is no dependent class this leftist logic loses all of it's appeal. It's in the best interests of liberals to keep citizens dependent upon the government.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
FAIL FAIL FAIL!
This is one of the most ridiculous statements that I have ever heard. Do you have even the slightest clue as to how much a college education is these days. On top of that, do you realize how long it would take to get a masters degree or a PHD going to school part time? Not to mention, it would be highly unlikely that someone in there early 20's would be able to find a job that could pay for for even part time tuition without a college education or some form of job skills.

I always love it when people try to say they went to school full time while working full time; no you didn't. There are not enough hours in a day to be taking 15 credits at a university wile working 40 hours a week if you plan on doing well in college, unless you're that kid from Good Will Hunting.
That poster eventually admitted they went to college using the G.I. bill. At that point, I realized they had lost all credibility claiming they worked 3 jobs to pay for college.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 AM

977 posts, read 763,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Prior to Reagan, Republicans were people who had a modicum of rationality. My first husband's dad, for example, a life-long Republican, was a very sensible man. He wasn't a nutjob, wasn't banging some Bible or wanting to make religious laws the law of the land, didn't spend his life hating the poor 24/7, and blaming them for the wrongs of the nation, and he absolutely wasn't an ignorant freak like the Republicans of today. My father-in-law (of Blessed memory) was a real man, a good man, not ostentatious, not a d**head like Republicans now are.

What goes by the name Republican now are a bunch of nefarious a-hs, most uneducated, some educated in shallowness and greed, blood-thirsty, punitive, psychopathic in nature, greedmongers that have hatred running through their veins. You can thank the little group that propelled Reagan into office, then GW Bush for that, and that includes religious nutjobs and their ilk.
Prior to Reagan, there was no one from either party that had the guts to tell the truth. Carter was too stupid to know the truth much less tell it. Nixon was paranoid. LBJ pandered to blacks.

I vote Republican. I could not care less about anyone's religion. Nor to I want a theocracy. Even the left had a good man in JFK. But he would be called either right-of-center today or a conservative by the left.

If you are a LIEberal democRAT, you are festering boil on the arse of humanity. You are a snaky and deceptive pustule who sucks the life out of everything and everyone that is good and right. Slimy and deceptive miscreants who use minorities, the poor, women, children and the unborn as tools to get your perverted policies written into the law of the land. They are scum of the earth and should be viewed as rank flesh rotting in a garbage can. I would rather have ebola than be a LIEberal, democRATic POS. May they rot in hell ASAP.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Actually, it wasn't a war on poverty. What Republicans carried out was a "War on the Poor."
LBJ and his racist arse was the point man on the failed war on poverty. Don't put the left's failure anywhere except when it belongs.
No accountability. Typical lib approach. Create 'victims', then ply them with money to get their vote never expecting anything else in return.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Maybe this has already been said, but lets count out the last THIRTY years--
80-88: Reagan

89-92: GHW Bush

93-00: Clinton--who moved welfare from a free ride to Welfare to Work, and balanced the budget. He was sleazy in his personal life, but functioned like a moderate R a president.

00-08: Dubya--who put us in two wars at the same time that he cut taxes and racked up massive spending

09-13: Obama--who's also racked up massive spending, but for the purposes of stimulating the economy and keeping us out of a depression. He succeeded, although the recovery has been slow.

Rebuilding the economy isn't a liberal or a conservative thing--it's a business policy issue more than anything else, something that both sides have failed at, mainly because the whole system revolves around letting multi national corporations do whatever they want.

I agree that we need to cut wasteful spending, but we also need to increase it in areas that will grow our economy, like infrastructure spending that supports business growth, basic research for innovative technology, and cutting the corporate tax rate BUT closing loop holes and tying tax breaks to only those businesses that create jobs here at home. We have one of the highest MARGINAL corporate tax rates in the world, but with all the loopholes, it turns out to be one of the LOWEST EFFECTIVE tax rates for corporations (mainly big vs. small business) who can take advantage of the loopholes and the pork, yet still do their hiring out of the country. Meanwhile small business--the actual job creators--pay taxes out the nose.

If we have a strong economy, we'll be able to pay off our debt and balance our budget, because we'll have more good paying jobs, and more people actually paying taxes. If we just make cuts across the board and don't reinvest in the factors that spur jobs in the US, we'll be left with a rotting, falling down heap of a country with even less people able to pay the taxes that we need to make the country work, and even more people on social welfare programs.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-07-2013 at 12:12 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Part? Half the national debt was commercial bank bubble credit rolled onto the public sector.
Huh? $8,000,000,000,000 of debt was from where? The debt has risen $6,000,000,000 under Obama. A goods share of that is interest. Make sense.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Maybe this has already been said, but lets count out the last THIRTY years--
80-88: Reagan

89-92: GHW Bush

93-00: Clinton--who moved social welfare programs from a free ride to Welfare to Work, and balanced the budget. He was sleazy in his personal life, but functioned like a moderate R a president.

00-08: Dubya--who put us in two wars at the same time that he cut taxes and racked up massive spending

09-13: Obama--who's also racked up massive spending, but for the purposes of stimulating the economy and keeping us out of a depression. He succeeded, although the recovery has been slow.
Clinton used Tommy Thompson's [republican] model for welfare-to-work. The budget was balanced thanks to Newt's House.

GW had two wars that the dems endorsed.

Obama spent money foolishly, the stim, to pay off his pals for getting elected. Giving money to schools to study the mating habits of apes does not stimulate the economy. Obama is a pathetic POS who is not an executive. There will be no recovery with him as POTUS.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm starting to think poverty is the goal, not the removal of it.
Of course it is. Libs cannot exist if people do not need to be dependent on them. That is why the leeches want to control everything we do.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
FAIL FAIL FAIL!

I got through 12 hours a semester while working 50 hours a week. I will confess college was cheaper a quarter century ago but I never took out a loan. I am sure my GPA would have been a bit higher if I had the luxury of not working. Life ain't fair, attempts to make it fairer often backfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies