Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So you mean keeping a person on welfare and government enitlements in order to buy their vote allows them to get rich?
The right-wing loves to repeat the narrative that Democrats buy votes by offering government programs to the poor -- in other words, getting votes by instituting programs that actually improve people's lives, (oh no, gasp!) while ignoring how Republicans offer gifts (lower taxes; no estate taxes and low capital gains taxes) to the billionaires in exchange for hundreds of millions of dollars in campaign funds to elect Republicans.

But to address the post directly, the welfare system that is described died almost 20 years ago with welfare reform -- and programs, such as student loans and Pell grants allow the underprivileged to attend college and better themselves. I know. I benefited from those programs and the nation is better off because of them.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM

977 posts, read 763,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are largely correct. The 1970s, because of rising oil prices, was a challenging time. However, the entire post war period was a time of rising wages and opportunity for the growing middle-class that stopped dead with Reaganomics.
Interesting. I and many others did quite well under Reagan. Bought a home and a business. I guess those who could not exist without the govt teat were the one's whining.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
So you mean keeping a person on welfare and government enitlements in order to buy their vote allows them to get rich?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Interesting. I and many others did quite well under Reagan. Bought a home and a business. I guess those who could not exist without the govt teat were the one's whining.
Regardless of your anecdotal case, the middle-class, which is primarily wage earners not owners, has been mostly stagnant economically since the 1981.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Regardless of your anecdotal case, the middle-class, which is primarily wage earners not owners, has been mostly stagnant economically since the 1981.
And you think it is because of Reaganomics. Prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies