Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Interpreted which is my point. And its the wrong direction.
And your interpretation is the wrong direction. I mean I just gave you a DIRECT quote from the person who WROTE the language for the 14th Amendment, Section 1.

Guess what, the Courts have read those quotes too and their interpretation is "well the guy who drafted it says it incorporates the bill of rights to all States, and the language is still there in the ratified amendment, so therefore [applying the bill of rights to states] it will do so." Not a hard interpretation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
And your interpretation is the wrong direction. I mean I just gave you a DIRECT quote from the person who WROTE the language for the 14th Amendment, Section 1.

Guess what, the Courts have read those quotes too and their interpretation is "well the guy who drafted it says it incorporates the bill of rights to all States, and the language is still there in the ratified amendment, so therefore [applying the bill of rights to states] it will do so." Not a hard interpretation...

Yeah its just so clear

The Fourteenth Amendment and the Incorporation Debate
The most recent Court decision on incorporation came in the 2010 case of McDonald v Chicago, involving a challenge to Chicago's tough gun control legislation. Just two years earlier, the Court had ruled in a case challenging a District of Columbia gun control regulation that the 2nd Amendment guaranteed an individual right to bear arms. In McDonald, by a 5 to 4 vote, the Court held that the 2nd Amendment right was thought by ratifiers of the 14the Amendment "among those fundamental rights necessary to our system of ordered liberty" and is therefore now a right fully enforceable against the states. Justice Thomas, concurring, argued that the better vehicle for incorporation, one truer to the original understanding of the 14th Amendment, was the Privileges and Immunities Clause. Dissenters argued that the right to bear arms, "unlike other forms of substantive liberty,...often put others' lives at risk" and was therefore not the sort of liberty the 14th Amendment protected against state enforcement.

It is the Bill of Rights and then it isn't.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 04-04-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I mean you can think that all you like, but that isn't the way it works.
Just like the judges have and its never been clear. Its a horribly written piece of Law. Good law does not go 5/4 for a century.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,821,367 times
The thing I still don't like is the "Wall of Separation" Clause which does NOT exist in the Constitution. I understand the "Establishment" wording, and see how it applies, (and with the 14th even to the States), but I seem incapable, absent judicial activism, of applying the words Thomas Jefferson used in his letter to the Danbury Baptists. How was this considered possible to Justice Williams in 1879 when the record clearly indicates that Jefferson and Madison attended church services at both the House of Representatives and at the Capitol.

Religion and the Federal Government, Part 2 - Religion and the Founding of the American Republic | Exhibitions - Library of Congress
Please note this is no ordinary link. It is a link to the webpage owned and operated by the Library of Congress.

I just have a real difficult time accepting this supposed "Wall of Separation" Clause. So maybe someone can explain how Madison and Jefferson (along with almost every other President before the 1879 SCOTUS decision) attended church in either the House of Representatives or (mainly) the US Capitol.

From the same Library of Congress page:
Quote:
Jefferson at Church in the Capitol
In his diary, Manasseh Cutler (1742-1823), a Federalist Congressman from Massachusetts and Congregational minister, notes that on Sunday, January 3, 1802, John Leland preached a sermon on the text "Behold a greater than Solomon is here. Jef[ferso]n was present." Thomas Jefferson attended this church service in Congress, just two days after issuing the Danbury Baptist letter. Leland, a celebrated Baptist minister, had moved from Orange County, Virginia, and was serving a congregation in Cheshire, Massachusetts, from which he had delivered to Jefferson a gift of a "mammoth cheese," weighing 1235 pounds.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:12 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Can anyone show me that 'church and state' thingy in the Constitution?
I can't show you that, but I can show you something similar to it:

Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Just like the judges have and its never been clear. Its a horribly written piece of Law. Good law does not go 5/4 for a century.
I mean you can think that, but the way it is going to be seen on the ground basically makes this DOA.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I mean you can think that, but the way it is going to be seen on the ground basically makes this DOA.
Which is my point. Its arbitrary and bad law since it is clearly a gaping hole of activist judgement. Religion can fit in the exact same place as the 2nd because as long as it does not" interfere with liberty" according to the dissent..

I also find it rather humorous that I would be some idiot for not knowing this obvious nature of the Amendment when 4 supreme court judges are in dissent and reject the Bill of Rights by extension argument just in 2010. I don't even think I made an argument. I just saw no clear path to the conclusion that it proscribed. With no mention of church and state in the 14th, its a tortured concept. Simple laws in a democratic system are not these complex derivatives that require long explanations from a professor at Yale. That is bad law. especially in a democratic republic.

So what was my point again? Laws don't protect you. The separation of powers protects you, and that was what the Bill of Rights tried to do in protecting the states. In the spirit of it, no law can protect you, only a real balance of power.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Why do some religious adherents think that they need the FORCE of LAW to require everyone to believe in their version of truth? Is there faith so weak that they fear some of THEIR believers will stop believing or are they so infested with the spirit of MAMMON that they need a MONOPOLY to insure all the offerings are theirs?

Government uses FORCE to control behavior. Religion uses FAITH to the same end. FORCE and FAITH should NEVER be combined or CERTAIN TYRANNY WILL RESULT.

Yes, I am shouting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies