Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times

Advertisements

IF there is such a thing as a conservative city of what good would it be, especially to its citizens? Would the peoples' standard of living be higher? Would the taxes be lower? Would there be less crime? Less urban crowding? Better schools? Less poverty? Lower unemployment?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

989 posts, read 2,756,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
IF there is such a thing as a conservative city of what good would it be, especially to its citizens? Would the peoples' standard of living be higher? Would the taxes be lower? Would there be less crime? Less urban crowding? Better schools? Less poverty? Lower unemployment?
I think the Paul Bremer-led Iraq is an excellent example of what can happen when you run a big place strictly on Conservative Ideals and not reality.

Watch, some righties will now blame Iraq on the people

Old 10-28-2007, 02:36 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,778,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post

I think the political philosophies carry over as well. Liberals tend to be centered on the needs of a group while conservatives focus more on how it benefits them.

HUH! Once again I cant let this escape, who is it that is always asking what is the government going to do for ME? LIBERALS!! Pay for MY education Pay for MY healthcare, Pay for MY perscriptions, abortions, transportation, housing, food, job, Me, Me, Me!! What are you Mr Presidential candidate going to do for ME!! Last time I checked Conservatives want the government to leave them alone!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,595,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
HUH! Once again I cant let this escape, who is it that is always asking what is the government going to do for ME? LIBERALS!! Pay for MY education Pay for MY healthcare, Pay for MY perscriptions, abortions, transportation, housing, food, job, Me, Me, Me!! What are you Mr Presidential candidate going to do for ME!! Last time I checked Conservatives want the government to leave them alone!
POST OF THE MONTH AWARD!

Old 10-28-2007, 03:27 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,775,088 times
Quote:
HUH! Last time I checked Conservatives want the government to leave them alone!
Unless it means the opportunity to spend over $1 Trillion on trying to occupy the Middle East. Then they get in line to sign up.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:30 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,778,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Unless it means the opportunity to spend over $1 Trillion on trying to occupy the Middle East. Then they get in line to sign up.
(conservatives focus more on how it benefits them.) How does that apply billy?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,775,088 times
I was just addressing your last line about how conservatives "just want government to leave them alone."

From my perspective I feel the government is getting way too intrusive in its powers to monitor us as private citizens and in its ability to go against the will of most of the people (including congress here as well) and continue to dump a trillion bucks into a failed foreign policy. I would also suggest that when there are massive forestfires that burn down your community, or a hurricane, etc, etc, the government does (or at least should) come in handy. Telling the government to just leave you alone is all well and good, but most are likely to need a little help at some point in their lives.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:48 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,668,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurBurgoyne View Post
government handouts, aka tax cuts for the rich, and lets not forget about hand out contracts. gotta love black water. go privatisation!
What does Blackwater have to do with conservative cities? So you equate taking money from some to give to others with letting people keep more of their own money? Ta-da!! Fiscal liberalism at its finest.

Old 10-28-2007, 03:50 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,668,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I was just addressing your last line about how conservatives "just want government to leave them alone."

From my perspective I feel the government is getting way too intrusive in its powers to monitor us as private citizens and in its ability to go against the will of most of the people (including congress here as well) and continue to dump a trillion bucks into a failed foreign policy. I would also suggest that when there are massive forestfires that burn down your community, or a hurricane, etc, etc, the government does (or at least should) come in handy. Telling the government to just leave you alone is all well and good, but most are likely to need a little help at some point in their lives.
As evidenced by Katrina, if you depend on government, you will be sorely disappointed.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Quote:
You are so wrong and out of touch of what's real that it's pitiful. Where you go to get such far out, wrong ideas is beyond me.

As a LIBERAL, I don't think about me. Instead, I wonder when the government is gonna get on the ball more and help improve the standard of living for its people. Hint--the states with the highest taxes generally provide their people with the highest standard of living in this country, for example, Minnesota and the New England states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies